PDA

View Full Version : What the deuce?

CaddieManAudi
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
So today I am driving in a 45mph zone where the speed limit increases to 55mph. While pressing the gas to accelerate I notice the rpm tachometer increasing with out increasing speed. I verify im in gear (4th) and try again this time with loud rev noise from the transmission, no acceleration, rpm tach increased, and the mph tach pegged to limit and when released the gas it went to zero. After that mph tach went to normal coasting speed but when pressed gas again it did all the same previous stated occurrences. So I tried downshifting to third and even second since I was basically at 25 mph now. So I figured there was nothing to do so I pulled over, stopped, and cycled power to car. First gear engaged so I revved the rpms dropped the clutch for a decent start and accelerated through all the gears fine with no issues.... Now I wouldn't be so worried if the was the first time but i've owned the car for a little over two years now and this is the third occurrence of basically the same instances. Any known problems like this ever happen? Ive searched the forums and have come up with nothing. The only logical thing I can possibly think of is the ECU tweaking or maybe a connector loose somewhere? I am lost and need some help.

Thanks,
-Joey

nunya
06-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a fried clutch to me.

hercfe
06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
yeah, you glazed the clutch. it will only get worse once it starts slipping like that.

ryannorthcott
06-03-2010, 07:36 PM
x3 same thing happened to me. look into picking up new clutch in the near future....

CaddieManAudi
06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Its a brand new clutch installed by A&E performance in Nov. http://www.aeperformance.com/ ? And it did it once before the new clutch.

biketsai
06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I think you could even have some oil dripped onto it or something. Do you notice any oil coming out from under the bell housing?

CaddieManAudi
06-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Dunno, its to dark and to low to tell. Ill put it on a lift and check it out this week end. But I dont think this glazed issue would cause the actual MPH needle to peg and then return to zero at 40 mph would it?

biketsai
06-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Good point, that part makes everything really confusing lol. So you are saying the MPH needle hit like 160?

CaddieManAudi
06-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Correct. RPM rose normally as a pushed the gas but MPH pegged then went to zero once i let off. Then returned to coasting speed with foot off pedal.

biketsai
06-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I wonder if your speed sensor is fubar'd

walky_talky20
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't think this is merely a sensor issue. If the engine revs go up, but the car doesn't accelerate, something in the driveline is broken. Most likely cause for all of this is a clutch that is slipping, either due to wear or possible oil contamination from a leaky seal.

CaddieMan, are you *sure* the Tach AND the Speedometer were increasing as well? If you are not mistaken, then a toasty clutch does not explain that issue. A simultaneous failure of the clutch and a speed sensor doesn't really make sense either. Another possible explanation is a bad axle joint. It is unlikely, though, that after it failed (disengaged) it would ever engage properly again. Especially unlikely that it would continue to work for a couple years and only act up a few times.

The easiest explanation is a slipping clutch, and the OP is mistaken about the speedometer activity. I'm not saying that he is wrong. Just saying it is easier to explain that way. But then all diagnostics would be easier if you could just ignore some of the symptoms, eh?