PDA

View Full Version : *** ATW to AWM Conversion HELP ***

marcini
06-02-2010, 02:53 PM
As the topic says, i'm trying to convert my 2000 atw 1.8t to AWM so I can use wideband O2 sensor and be able to run tuning for 2001 a4.
Things i know so far:
Need the ECU that ends with "CH"
Cluster not necessary but good to have
2001 Harness pluss some modification for crank sensor
wideband o2

are the knock sensors different?
is this doable just by running extra wideband wires without using 2001 harness?
has anybody done this on 2000?
I would appreciate any tips or suggestions, I have a unitronics tuning and would like to update the file for 2001 or for Eurodyne.

Thanks

GR-RALLYE
06-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I have a CH ecu for sale as well as a cluster from an '01.

I know its been done before, I would assume that the knock sensors are the same, but really the first step is to get the new harness and start swapping it in to see.

viceprp
01-16-2011, 06:17 AM
are the knock sensors different?
is this doable just by running extra wideband wires without using 2001 harness?
has anybody done this on 2000?

Does anyone know the answer for this?

Militant-Grunt
01-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Well to begin with the block on the ATW is different, the turbo is different, the heads are the same. You could also use an M box. Chance that AWM harness won't communicate with car body harness. Though either way its a horrible idea?

Buy yourself an LM-1, get a bung for a wide band sensor, get an RPM sensor tap for the LM1. You can then get all the logs you need to make appropriate changes to the maps.

black99.5a4
01-16-2011, 09:00 AM
It will communicate. Even though ATW's are 058 blocks, the sensors are all ME7 and read the same as the AWM.

You need the AWM ECU which can be M box or 01.5 CH box.

a VVT plug if you plan to use VVT in that head, if not, then all you need is the o2 sensor and the o2 sensor plug with the leads.. Then you run them where they need to go.. You can use a Bentley to figure out where to wire them..

THIS IS FOR A TT AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE SAME FOR YOU.. I dont have my Bentley in front of me or I would look them up.

Existing harness - New harness
Pin#1 goes to Pin#3
Pin#2 goes to Pin#4
Pin#3 goes to Pin#5
Pin#4 goes to Pin#1
(wire colors vary from some years and ecu but the pin out remains the same from the research I have done)

Now you will have two wires left for your new o2 harness. You will then need to run the two new wires from the ecu harness. I used 22gauge strand wire and 60/40 solder.

Pin 52 on ecu harness goes to Pin#6 on your new harness (there are two harnesses to the ecu, you need the larger side harness), Pin 71 on ecu harness goes to Pin#2 (same harness directly above pin 52)

SlowGolf
02-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Subscribed...doing this soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aragorn
02-26-2011, 12:27 AM
i've been looking at doing this myself, and as far as i can see you dont actually need any 2001 harness parts.

So long as the ATW has an electronic throttle, the AWM ECU (or any similar ME7.5 ECU from a TT/A3/Golf etc) will plug straight in. The Harness to ECU connector is the same (both mechanically and electrically) on all DBW cars.

You need to add a few extra wires for the wideband O2, and also a wire for VVT (even if your not using it, it needs to have a resistor across it or your fuel trims wont adapt)

black99.5a4
02-26-2011, 04:26 AM
you def dont need the harness.. thing is, 00 and 01 share a M box, so i dont know if the ECU even needs changed, 01.5 they went to a CH box. the 01's with the M box have wideband o2's.

you only need the wideband o2 plug, the pin out to swap the wires and run the new wire and then a VVT plug (or run the signal and i think its a ground, and resistor them out)

turbo944s2
02-27-2011, 02:02 AM
I found out about this after I already paid for a custom tune on my atw. I will let you guys know how the custom tune works out.

M-Hood
02-27-2011, 09:28 AM
you def dont need the harness.. thing is, 00 and 01 share a M box, so i dont know if the ECU even needs changed, 01.5 they went to a CH box. the 01's with the M box have wideband o2's.

you only need the wideband o2 plug, the pin out to swap the wires and run the new wire and then a VVT plug (or run the signal and i think its a ground, and resistor them out)

00 uses a P box for the manual cars and a Q box for the Tip. The 00 and 01 do both use a 018 box with the letters at the end of that being different.

As for the M box, you might have been thinking of the 01 and 01.5.

black99.5a4
02-27-2011, 09:35 AM
When i was looking for my ECU for my 01.5, i ran across later 00's with m boxes and then of course 01's.. so i ran my vin and needed a CH (as all 01.5's are).

M-Hood
02-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Most likely marked as 00 by mistake. If the 00 came with a M box every single tuner would offer a M box tune for the 2000. Only thing I have seen from the tuners is P and Q which cant even be swapped for each other.