PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge led bulb

BlkMaGiC 3526
06-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I just got my red hp led wedge bulb today from superbrightleds.com for my boost gauge. When I put it in, it stays on momentarily and then shuts off. I need to either tap the front of the gauge or hit the headlight switch on and off for it to come back on. The regular wedge bulb works flawlessly. Am I missing anything? Anyone experience this and what did you do to fix it. TIA

Seerlah
06-01-2010, 09:52 PM
This is the VDO gauge, as listed in your sig? Seems more like a glitch somewhere in your wiring, more than anything. I used to have a VDO gauge and also ordered a red LED replacement from superbrightled. Personally, I had no issues with it and eventually sold it to an AZ member on here when I upgraded to the VEI dual gauge unit. As far as I know, he also has no issues with it because he never PMd or emailed me about having any issues with it.

If you have to tap the guage to make it work, then there is def a glitch somewhere in the connection. It could be the back peice socket that holds the bulb, which may be the issue. Where do you have it wired in to power the bulb? If I were you, I would wrap it around one of the fuses for either the passenger's side or driver's side low beam headlight. Or for the driver's side or passenger's dide parking lights, which I had mine wired into. THis will make it so that it comes on when you turn your headlight switch to the first click (gauge light comes on same time cluster/dash lights do).

Try this: Take the socket peice from the back of the gauge and wire it up (don't have it hooked up into the back of the gauge). Play with it there, to see wehat's up. If you feel the socket itself may be the issue, I have an extra one laying around I can send you. Just pay for shipping. But if the regular wedge bulb works flawlessly, I really don't know what's up. But as I stated, have the socket out and wired up to figure out the issue. Swap bulbs during this time and so forth, and you should be able to get to the bottom of it. Because I had no issues when I had a red LED in my VDO gauge.

BlkMaGiC 3526
06-01-2010, 10:19 PM
This is the VDO gauge, as listed in your sig? Where do you have it wired in to power the bulb? I had no issues when I had a red LED in my VDO gauge.

Yep, VDO gauge. I had a local shop wire it up and if I remember correctly they tapped into the headlight switch. When I turn on my parking lights, gauge, cluster and dash lights all come on. I have had it wired up for maybe 3 weeks now w/ the regular bulb and have had no issues till I tried the led bulb.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it over the weekend .... anyone else?

Seerlah
06-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Woah, they tapped into the actual headlight switch itself[confused]. You should have hooked it up yourself.

beejohn
06-01-2010, 11:08 PM
i got the super bright led from ecstuning.com, works great for me. i connected my vdo gauge to the n75x post though

BlkMaGiC 3526
06-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Woah, they tapped into the actual headlight switch itself[confused]. You should have hooked it up yourself.

I can't remember exactly where they hooked it up. I need to double check. I have never been comfortable with doing wiring, even for the small things ...