PDA

View Full Version : 2 Exhaust question

midnightride42
06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
First, I have a 99 2.8 A4. All stock of course.

I'm wanting a little big of sound out of the exhaust. Nothing noticalbe during regular driving. Just want it when passing or going WOT. I've had my days of loud cars. From what I've read most of you go with magnaflow. Will just replacing the stock muffler give me a little bit more sound out of the stock exhaust? I'm not looking to remove the resonator or stock cats. I dont like the sound of the resinator being out.

2nd:

I came across a stainless steel magnaflow muffler for cheap ($40)....ing good shape. Bad things are:
-it's 28" long
-3" offset in and 3" center out. having the offset actually makes it nice for doing the 2 pipe.

Will having that large of magnalow muffler add sound or reduce sound? I looked and it seems it would fit, but I have'nt taken the stock one down yet to verify. Also I should loose to much back pressure using it since the stock cats and resinator are still in place.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

hercfe
06-01-2010, 11:00 AM
the increase in diameter will certainly increase the sound.

midnightride42
06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
the increase in diameter will certainly increase the sound.
If it fits....do you think it'll be very noticable during regular driving with the windows up and sun roof closed? Keeping in mind the stock resonator is there and stock cats. Just a much larger magnaflow muffler.

I tried looking on youtube, but most clips on there have the resonator removed.

Anyone else please feel free to reply.

stack
06-01-2010, 12:18 PM
if you take out the stock muffler. and put a magnaflow in it.
you wont even notice. might be a little deeper. but you wont notice until you remove a resna
remove the resna. and another resna with more flow than the stock

Bkmike
06-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Do any of these exhuast either the magnaflow or milltek add any horsepower to the 2.8 30v ?

stack
06-02-2010, 10:56 AM
yea they do.
but thats if its from the cat back, you would get something
just a muffler isnt really noticeable

midnightride42
06-04-2010, 06:02 AM
I would do a catback, but honestly I'm not realy looking to have a rumple all the time. just want to hear the 2.8 when step on the gas to pass or accelerate....

I've had full exhaust on my 95 TSI Talon, turbo back etc....just gets to you on long trips etc. My F150 had true dual exhaust with 2 cats removed and 2 magnafows, sounded good, but you could still hear it at normal cruising in the cab. Just want to be able to hold a conversation and not have to hear the drone of the exhaust.

Perhaps removing the resonator and adding in a round type magnaflow would give me what I'm looking for along with the 28" in the rear.....

We'll see I might just switch the stock muffler out, see how it sound and then go from there.