PDA

View Full Version : To Much PoWa

Oceanside
06-01-2010, 07:26 AM
So Ive been searching and its a little grey... My 50 trim FailWD needs some quattro love and as Ive been loosing traction as high as 90mph. Ive been reading I can just convert the FWD to quattro with rear dif, subframe, axles, suspension, drive shaft, {{ back half of transsmission???? ok heres the main question of will the back half fit or not to just swap over??}} or do i need to get another manual already setup for quattro already? anything else needed? I already have a full s4 suspension sitting here with back mounting points

biketsai
06-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Hmm, I don't think the A4 frame is cutout (pun intended) for this. TBH I havent done too much research with this but I know that its not as easy as the B6 setup (to swap). Have you checked out underneath?

PS: the WG is still working great, thanks!

Chris

Oceanside
06-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I've gone through what I coulld find on the conversion. It looks like it comes down a back gear in the front half trans on wether it will mate to the quattro rear half trans case. I already know I'm going to heve tob redo my apr exhaust because the larger resonator is sitting where the rear diff would go. The 50 trim is going to be replaced with an agp d42. The lag on my setup just makes me downshift toob much as I'm starting to get into tracking the car.

walky_talky20
06-01-2010, 10:12 AM
The B5 chassis is different between FronTrak and Quattro models. Suspension is different, no diff mounts, etc, etc. B6 is a bolt-up affair, but not so with the B5. Better sell your car and find a quattro model.

Altech75
06-02-2010, 03:12 AM
The B5 chassis is different between FronTrak and Quattro models. Suspension is different, no diff mounts, etc, etc. B6 is a bolt-up affair, but not so with the B5. Better sell your car and find a quattro model.

This, the FWD B5 A4 is pretty much the exact same thing as a B5 Passat. The gas tank in the back would need to be extensively modified or replaced with a A4 Quattro one and mounting points and then reinforcements for virtually everything would need to be fabricated. It's just too much time and money when compared to how cheap a good Quattro A4 is off the classifieds. Just use the FronTrak for any commute or long trips and enjoy the gas mileage.

adr3naline fix
06-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Honestly I've never been in a B5 FWD model, but I can only assume that you would have to custom cut out the entire drive shaft area - not worth it. Buy another B5 and transfer if this is the case!

guy022077
06-02-2010, 05:18 AM
ive never done or seen it done on a b5a4 but i have seen/ researched a fwd go awd and it is just not worth it, you need the rear half of a quattro and pretty much cut the rear floor out of both cars and switch them. after viewing a write up on a fwd to awd conversion it is just not worth the effort to end up with a car that you could just buy cheaply. I was going to make an AWD mk3 gti at least at the end im not likely to see another, but a b5a4 quattro, those are everywhere. just buy one.

Castor Troy
06-02-2010, 09:33 AM
agreed. you'll spend more money doing the quattro conversion than you'd spend buying a quattro car

Scotty@Advanced
06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
So Ive been searching and its a little grey... My 50 trim FailWD needs some quattro love and as Ive been loosing traction as high as 90mph. Ive been reading I can just convert the FWD to quattro with rear dif, subframe, axles, suspension, drive shaft, {{ back half of transsmission???? ok heres the main question of will the back half fit or not to just swap over??}} or do i need to get another manual already setup for quattro already? anything else needed? I already have a full s4 suspension sitting here with back mounting points

The b5's have different rear substructures and can't be converted to AWD unless you replace the rear pan and wheel housings. I think the B6's you can just bolt on parts but I'm not sure yet.

Have you tried a diff in the front that would help.

Oceanside
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I really appreciate everyone's responses. Honestly I get the how bad is the one tire fire comments Alot but with the engine being longitudinal and having equal length axles if one goes the other does too, and its really nice that when it lets go all it does is spin in place, it doesn't torque pull.... at all. I bought this for the MPG gain over the quattro and I Never planned on BTing it but.... boost is addictive. I guess now Im looking for someone with an 01 QM that wants to swap cars

Coopa
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
If you could find a quattro with a decent body, but toasted motor for real cheap..you could swap everything over. True it would suck, but it wouldn't suck as trying to make a fwd into a quattro?