PDA

View Full Version : Vibration, inner tie rod related?

alen
05-30-2010, 11:37 PM
So lately I've been experiencing some vibration coming out of the front I believe. It started a while ago but the amount has been increasing.
It can be felt starting around 40mph and it gets a little crazy above 60. It really feels unsafe beyond that.
I can track that it first started when I put 5mm spacers on the wheels, but it started with light vibration around 75-85mph.
I can't take the spacers off (need them to clear the brakes) but did test fit my buddy's wheels a little while ago and I experienced it with his wheels too.

I've searched and found that it may be inner tie rod related. How can the vibration be attributed to them? I tried to check one side but it seems sturdy. It could be that I just don't know how to check if they're bad.
Also, how do they get replaced? Unbolt from the steering rack but what to do with the rubber boot that covers the connection to the tie rod end?
I have to do alignment on the car very soon so I'd like to tackle this job if I have to. :beer:

salz2135
05-31-2010, 12:57 AM
To remove the inner tie rod assembly, I first unscrew the outer tie rod end. Next remove the pinch clamp securing the rack side of the boot being careful not to damage the boot. Then remove the smaller outer tie rod side clamp. Slide the boot off and unscrew the inner tie rod assemble from the steering rack.

Although, I'm extremely skeptical that a bad inner tie rod joint would be causing the vibrations you're experiencing. My experience with Audi is that inner tie rod assemblies usually cause a noticeable clunk not vibration.

VMRWheels
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
It's probably an unbalanced wheel, or the spacers might not be hubcentric. Are the vibrations constant, and do they get worse the faster you go?

alen
06-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Ok, so it turns out I had a slight bend on the driver side wheel. I got that straightened out and now the harsh vibration is gone.
However, there's still some vibration. It forms at around 55-60mph and there's some slight shaking in the steering wheel. Above that speed, the steering wheel shake disappears but there continues to be an increased shake in the floor and gas pedal. And it's not constant. It shakes for a few seconds and then goes away and then it starts coming back and goes away, and so on.

I have the tie rod assembly in my possession but I'd really try to not install it as I fear I may open a can of worms with that, mainly since I am not sure how I will affect the centerness (it's a word ok haha) of the steering rack. I am going to get alignment done in the morning at a reputable shop and I'm not 100% sure if they will approach the fact that I may have the new inner tie rods put on.

I also wanted to mentioned that I have installed new control arms last year (about 15k miles ago) and have put on the Meyle HD tie rod ends, so it all seems to be sturdy still. No clunking when turning the steering wheel, btw, which is something that a lot of people associate failed inner tie rods with.

VinceDprincE
06-20-2010, 01:42 PM
It forms at around 55-60mph and there's some slight shaking in the steering wheel. Above that speed, the steering wheel shake disappears but there continues to be an increased shake in the floor and gas pedal. And it's not constant. It shakes for a few seconds and then goes away and then it starts coming back and goes away, and so on.

i have the same problem with my 2.8Q and i still don't know what's causing it. [confused]

VMRWheels
06-21-2010, 11:38 AM
It sounds like it could be a bad ball joint somewhere, when you get an alignment, they might be able to point out if something's wrong.

lapwizrus
06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Jack the car up and try to shake the wheels back and forth. If there is any movement in the wheel you know it's related to the tie rods or control arms.

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
i have the same problem with my 2.8Q and i still don't know what's causing it. [confused]

Only at high speeds? Any clicking around corners?

Gaberossi
06-21-2010, 01:31 PM
not meaning to be rude here..im currently experiencing vibrations at 40mph and at 70-80mph feels like its coming from the front of the car i feel it in the steering and in the seat...i upgraded my control arms to the STERN adjustable CA...and that did not stop the shaking...and on top of that i have brought my car to 4 different shops for alignment and it still pulls to the right a bit...sry for the thread jack op

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Refer to your alignment print out Gaberossi, how far off/within tolerances are you four corners?

VinceDprincE
06-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Only at high speeds? Any clicking around corners?

yup only at high speeds. no clicking sound around corners. just intermittent vibrations on the highway. like 2 second intervals.

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-21-2010, 01:48 PM
yup only at high speeds. no clicking sound around corners. just intermittent vibrations on the highway. like 2 second intervals.

Have you had your tires balanced lately? If so, then consider your axle. You can check the slop in your axle by lifting the car up, removing the front wheel, and gripping the axle and shaking it in and out. Severe "clinking" could mean your axle is worn out and you are experiencing a vibration at a certain frequency/rpm range. To look at any of this you'll need to remove the wheel and have a look around at your suspension components.

EDIT: Don't get discouraged if you aren't a DIYer. This is really easy to do and badly worn components are typically easy to spot.

VinceDprincE
06-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Have you had your tires balanced lately? If so, then consider your axle. You can check the slop in your axle by lifting the car up, removing the front wheel, and gripping the axle and shaking it in and out. Severe "clinking" could mean your axle is worn out and you are experiencing a vibration at a certain frequency/rpm range. To look at any of this you'll need to remove the wheel and have a look around at your suspension components.

EDIT: Don't get discouraged if you aren't a DIYer. This is really easy to do and badly worn components are typically easy to spot.

sweet i'll do that. looked under there when i replaced the cv boot but didn't touch the axle. thanks for the tip chris!

Kronic Budz
06-22-2010, 10:16 PM
just got rid of a vibration from a bent wheel... it would get worse from 80 mph and on...

alen
06-23-2010, 11:28 AM
To anwer some of the questions, no I don't hear any clicking but I'll check for any slop in the axle. Also, no movement in the wheels when I jack the car up, pointing to solid ball joints.
I'm going in for alignment to a locally reputable shop, so I'll have them try to check where the vibration might come from.