PDA

View Full Version : CV BOOTS

mauboussin
05-30-2010, 07:24 PM
My font left tire blew up this morning when I was driving on the freeway, it really scared me to dead.
When I replaced the tire, I noticed that front left CV Boots was damage by the bad tire, which means it started to leak, and the lubricating oil spread out on the rim and wire. I went to Firestone, they told me to replace axle and they said if I only change CV Boots will damage my axle as well, and it will make it worse.
So, what should I do? Replace the CV boots only, or replace the whole axle?
Thank you and hope to hear from you guys soon.

jturnbull
05-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Thats not true just replace the boot, if you do the job right it won't damage it at all. Just try not to drive around on it to much and let dirt and sand get in the joint. It's a relatively easy job and pretty inexpensive. Think of it this way would you rather pay $150 for an axle or $20 for a boot?

flashovermac
05-30-2010, 07:31 PM
well its less messy to replace the entire axle instead of just the boot, but so long as the joint is taken out and thoroughly cleaned (ie all the dust n crap that got in there and stuck to the grease while the boot was torn), replacing JUST the boot is no problem. sounds to me like this Firestone place really doesn't know much about these vehicles. My advice - find a DIY on here, or seek a new shop.

just my two cents.

walky_talky20
05-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Replacing the boot is the better repair. The original axles are extremely high quality. Quality that an AutoZone axle can't touch. That is why aftermarket axles cost $150 and an Audi axle costs almost $800. Check it out, aftermarket (EMPI) vs genuine Audi:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/8D0407271DL/

Keep your $800 axle and repair it with a $20 boot. Don't throw it away and put a chinese part on. 'Cause that's just silly.

somebody5788
05-31-2010, 01:13 AM
I had major issues after replacing my boot.... I tried 2x but the axle wouldn't stay in 1 piece after replacing the boot and ended up replacing the whole thing. And yes I DID do everything right. My dad owns a mechanic shop and is probably the best tech in town on euro cars. He tried the 2nd time and even though we tried to make the new C clamp better it still wouldnt hold. 60 bux for a new shaft at like Advanced Auto

turbo_bootin
05-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Your best bet is to get one of the two piece boots that you can just slip on over the axle, that way you don't have to deal with the pinch bolt.

A4Rob
05-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Your best bet is to get one of the two piece boots that you can just slip on over the axle, that way you don't have to deal with the pinch bolt.

More info on this?? [confused]

mauboussin
05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Thank you guys.
The cost of part is about 20 dollars, how about the labor fee on that job?
It looks like is outer left CV boot damaged, is that very expensive to fix that?
Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Thanks again

turbo_bootin
05-31-2010, 09:08 AM
More info on this?? [confused]

It looks something like this. I guess it's not "actually" two pieces, but you basically sew it up after you pack it with grease.

http://www.gearingdynamics.com/picsmay05/boottrans.gif

walky_talky20
05-31-2010, 09:26 AM
^ I would not recommend that fix. It's OK for a temporary solution until you can get it to a shop. The right way to fix it is to remove the outer joint and put a new boot on.

You do NOT have to mess with the pinch bolt to do an outer axle boot. You drop the lower-rear control arm on that side (the curved one). This will give you enough clearance to get the axle out of the hub assembly. No need to mess with those spline bolts on the inner joint either. You can take the outer joint off with the axle while it is still on the car. In my experience, this is the easiest way to do a repair that lasts.