PDA

View Full Version : Crack on Windshield

BrucexL33
05-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi guys! As i washed my car today i noticed there was a line that seems like a crack on my front wind shield. It is a pretty large line going from bottom to the middle of the windshield. When i rubbed on it it felt like there was nothing there. Is there any way to repair that line without replacing the entire windshield? Thanks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50691168@N06/4654060795/

lotusgardener
05-30-2010, 05:53 PM
That line will always be there if it is a crack. If the crack is smaller than a dollar bill, insurance will cover the cost of "fixing" it, ie stop the crack from spreading, for free. Otherwise expect to pay your deductible (unless you have a windshield deductible) to get it replaced.

lotusgardener
05-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh your pic no worky either!

terraflata
05-31-2010, 06:31 PM
You can repair it with a spot repair kit. It is not common practice to do such a thing, but in otder to do it, small hoes must be drilled along the crack and filled with a special "glue" that dries with UV. There is no gaurantee that it will work, and in fact if might make the crack bigger because the resin had to be injected/forced in the crack. Ive done a 6 inch crack once and it didnt show at all after, but like I said, usually this calls for a new windshield.

Seerlah
05-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Just stack money away peice by peice (be sure not to spend it) for a new windshield. Your time frame should be your next inspection date. Personally, I would just replace the windsheild. I notice I hold out on spending money on mods, then end up spending even more on bullsh*t and have remorse for not buying the mod. As for maintenance, don't hold out on those. Those are one of the priorities in my life (see what these Audis do to you[cool]).

seanj130
06-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Tough to repair that, normally they repair stonechips that havent started spreading yet. Most insurance policies come with a glass plan without a detuctible, (i hope you have glass coverage). Best of luck to you, i have had my windshield replaced twice in the past year (for free)

ADNpro
06-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Had my windshield replaced through Safelite for $140, after a little negotiating with them that is haha.

biketsai
06-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Had my windshield replaced through Safelite for $140, after a little negotiating with them that is haha.

please tell more! They quoted me $200.

kampfer
06-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Yup, my A3 got hit on the freeway with a rock and caused a giant crack... I tried the UV resin stuff (insurance paid for it)
but it looked horrible so I ended up just replacing the windshield

ADNpro
06-01-2010, 09:41 AM
please tell more! They quoted me $200.

Well I had my dad negotiate with them because he is good at it haha. He just told them I was insured with Geico and they took some off for that. Then they messed up the scheduling and didn't actually put me on the schedule so I sat around waiting all day for nothing so they took more off for that haha.

Oh and they quoted me $280 originally, so it was a steal! haha

kampfer
06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Well I had my dad negotiate with them because he is good at it haha. He just told them I was insured with Geico and they took some off for that. Then they messed up the scheduling and didn't actually put me on the schedule so I sat around waiting all day for nothing so they took more off for that haha.

Oh and they quoted me $280 originally, so it was a steal! haha

yeah I paid $302.77