PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Help, Clutch Slip? CV Boot Bad? PLEASE ONLY TOP AUDI EXP.

BlkAudiA4B5
05-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Bought a 2.8L Audi A4, when Im driven the car it seemed to be fine but I noticed that it shifts around 3900-4300 rpms at around 25-30 mph, does that sound about right?

while driving in 1st gear, my front right tire "area" sounds really bad. like loud knocking sound? but as i shift into 2nd gear it goes away. I looked under the tire, and to me it looks like the CV is blown out, oil is leaking. should I just replace the axle?

it also eats some oil, im thinking a main seal somewhere, not sure what one yet...are they known for seals going out?

Thanks Robb

revbjeff
05-30-2010, 09:03 AM
I would replace the whole axle.

The valve covers leak, the CCT (cam chain tensioner) gasket leaks, and check your PCV system for clogs. If the PCV is clogged it can cause oil to blow past gaskets.

stack
05-30-2010, 01:43 PM
yes replace axle.
it should sound like your dragging rocks. from behind
the cv shaft is connected to the tranny. which, could be blow or damaged .
replace and visually inspect

BlkAudiA4B5
05-30-2010, 01:49 PM
maybe dragn rocks under the front right side of the bumper, but it stops after i shift out of 1st. what could that be? will fixing the axle stop that you think?

stack
05-30-2010, 02:47 PM
maybe dragn rocks under the front right side of the bumper, but it stops after i shift out of 1st. what could that be? will fixing the axle stop that you think?
just only when you shift out of 1st? or all

mtroxel
05-30-2010, 03:59 PM
it stops after i shift out of 1st. what could that be? will fixing the axle stop that you think?

In your original post you said there was oil (which I think you meant grease) coming out of the CV joint. There's no point in wondering what a fix is going to do. You must fix your CV joint...and these days a re-built half shaft tends to be cheaper, if not easier. Fix the CV joint and see what it does for your noise.

stack
05-30-2010, 04:26 PM
+1 on that ^
and make sure to get the right one.
face-lift and preface life models have different axles.
i spent a total of 453 dollars on just AXLES. 98 is the split year i think