PDA

View Full Version : Car Overheating

CT TURBO A4
05-29-2010, 08:29 PM
So Summer's here and I was on the highway and all of a sudden my coolant warning light came on and the guage was showing about 3/4 of the way to the right! I slowed down a bit and dropped it in neutral and turned the heat on full blast and left it on....guage came down and drove slow to where I was going. So I figure I should change the coolant since I haven't done so since I got the car. Flushed the coolant and thought the car was good after driving for a bit, needle was staying in the middle. Took it on the highway again...needle climbed to about first or second notch after the halfway mark. What could be causing the issue?? Sorry for the long post, TIA!

Dynamite
05-29-2010, 11:45 PM
easiest thing to check is the thermostat, follow the lower pipe from the radiator to the block, there is a black plastic thing with two bolts, its been a while, but by memory 10mm or maybe 12mm i think. You will have to drain the coolant to check it, put it in a glass of hot water and see if it opens. It sounds like you might not have fulled the coolant up properly which would cause that. or it might just be the gauge thats going, when the light came on did the car feel hotter than usual under the hood?

Inval1d
05-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Change your thermostat and while you are at it, it wont hurt to also replace your coolant temp sensor.

beejohn
05-30-2010, 09:56 AM
whatever you do don't ignore the problem like i did by refilling coolant constantly and blowing your head gasket haha. turned out to be leaking waterpump/leaking rad...

mtroxel
05-30-2010, 04:03 PM
If you are leaking coolant, find the leak. If you aren't leaking coolant, it's the stat, or a flow problem caused by either a blockage or a bad water pump. Since it overheats at highway speeds, it's not a bad fan. You don't need a fan at speed. I'd bet on the stat, but might as well do that and a water pump......and if your timing belt is on the edge might as well do that while you're there.

CT TURBO A4
05-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks alot guys...yeh I deff. put a good mixture of coolant 50/50. I got the timing belt done last year and the stupid ass dealership didn't change the water pump cause they said it didn't need it, F*cking rip! Now the temp guage stays in the middle but at times it goes to the 1st notch after the middle,seems like its somewhat better but really haven't driven it much. No Leaks or anything, and car runs fine. Old coolant wasn't even that bad looking. So bad "stat"?? lol what do you mean by that?

mtroxel
05-31-2010, 04:24 AM
So bad "stat"?? lol what do you mean by that?

Stat = thermostat. If it's bad, then it's not opening enough to let enough coolant through the radiator. Was not a good decision to not do the water pump. If it really lets go your timing belt flops around and valves hit pistons. Don't mess with this, get in there and see what's going on.

rms-s4
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
if it only happens on the highway usually the radiator is the problem. make sure your fans are working properly. there should be some drag on the fan clutch when the car is off and make sure the electric fan turns on too. if they all seem ok chances are the rad is clogged a bit.

rms-s4
05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks alot guys...yeh I deff. put a good mixture of coolant 50/50. I got the timing belt done last year and the stupid ass dealership didn't change the water pump cause they said it didn't need it, F*cking rip! Now the temp guage stays in the middle but at times it goes to the 1st notch after the middle,seems like its somewhat better but really haven't driven it much. No Leaks or anything, and car runs fine. Old coolant wasn't even that bad looking. So bad "stat"?? lol what do you mean by that?
by the way im in fairfield. if you need some help my shop is at 180 commerce drive next to pepes pizza

CT TURBO A4
05-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Stat = thermostat. If it's bad, then it's not opening enough to let enough coolant through the radiator. Was not a good decision to not do the water pump. If it really lets go your timing belt flops around and valves hit pistons. Don't mess with this, get in there and see what's going on.

LOL...thank I thought thats what it meant...but yeh I was like why'ed they do the timing belt but not the water pump because they're supposed to be done together.

if it only happens on the highway usually the radiator is the problem. make sure your fans are working properly. there should be some drag on the fan clutch when the car is off and make sure the electric fan turns on too. if they all seem ok chances are the rad is clogged a bit.

yes the fans come on and everything looks like its working okay..even stays at normal temp for a while but the light came on today on my way to work which is like 15-20 mins away....might just have to stop by your shop...sending you a PM!

thanks again!

nyca4tqm
06-01-2010, 05:38 AM
I had a similar problem. Depending on the year and model, the impeller on the water pump is plastic. On average it fails at approx 90k to 150k miles. I went through the same process. The coolant swap, coolant temp sensor then gave up and had the T belt, thermostat and the water pump replaced. When we took the Water pump out, the impeller was cracked. Good luck.