PDA

View Full Version : 2001 A4 Avant - Should I Buy?

musashin
05-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey everybody, I'm new here. I'm looking at picking up a 2001 A4 Avant with just barely 70k miles on it. I just went to see it today, and everything looks great. Timing belt changed at 60k, turbo replaced ~1000 miles ago, oil looks good, no leaks anywhere. I only have a few concerns.

I've never driven either a turbo or AWD car before, so these issues may just be from my inexperience. I've been told to watch for turbo chatter. With the hood open both just after startup and after about a 15 minute drive, i can hear what sounds like a very very slight chit chit chit chit, possibly from the turbo I don't know. Again, I could barely hear it unless my head was right next to the engine.

On the AWD side, there was a mechanical feeling from the driving that I've not experienced before. Not really a grinding, not so rough as a grinding, but something somewhat similar yet smooth. It's hard to describe the feeling. Again, this may just be how the AWD feels, I've not driven one before. I do remember something similar in a friend's Forester, so this may be it.

Also, there was pretty significant oil in the exhaust pipes. The owner says that the turbo blew and was replaced about 1000 miles back, and that when the previous turbo blew, it released loads of oil into the exhaust. Would there still be oil in the exhaust after this? Does the exhaust/cat need to be replaced?

One more minor concern is the trip computer LCD; it's missing a lottt of pixels. What kind of cost is it for replacing this? Is it easy to do myself? I'm certain this is covered in many places on here, I just figured I'd ask just because.

If this helps any, here is the ad.

2001 AUDI A4 AVANTE STATION WAGON
Style: Station Wagon
Model: A4 Avante
VIN: WAUKC68DX1A130778
Mileage: 69523
Owners: 1
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic
Engine: 4 Cylinder, 1.8 L Turbo
Exterior Color: Champagne
Title: Clear
Condition: Used. Few very minor body scratches and door-dings. Scratches on rear bumper. Good tires. Very good interior no splits or tears.

Computer text display has some defective characters.
Comments: Used mainly by mom for groceries. This 1.8L turbo has nice power. Meticulously serviced with synthetic oil.

Features & Options
4-Wheel ABS
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Quatro All Wheel Drive
Electronic Stability Control
Aluminum Wheels
Good Tires
Power Steering
Power Windows
AC ** Climate Control
Rear Defrost
Leather Heated Seats
Lumbar Control
Am/Fm Stereo
Adjustable Steering Wheel
Alarm
Sunroof
Auxiliary PWR Outlet
CD & Cassette Player
Child Safety Locks
Power Door Locks
Cruise Control
Air Bags, Side And Side Head
Fold-Down Rear Seats
Intermittent Wipers
Front Reading Lamps
Illuminated Visor Mirrors
Power Side Mirrors
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
Trip Computer
Homelink Remote System

http://images.craigslist.org/3n03oe3lc5Y15Q65P1a5j58c26b5c1ea51a84.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3o73p23l05Q55W55P2a5j13919a408c8e11a6.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3nc3m13ob5V05Z45S2a5jd1eba3d8a56b190e.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3n73oa3la5V35U55S1a5jc87fcd8804ba1f6e.jpg

Euromike
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Great looking car, Hard to find with that mileage. The chit sound i do have too, and i believe its just the water pump working. If its real loud you have a problom, but even with my brand new one, it makes noise. When the turbo blows, it can and will blow oil out the exhaust. If its had 1000 miles on it without throwing a CEL for a bad cat, im sure your fine. If you dont mind me asking, what are you paying?

2001-B5-A4
05-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I can only comment on the pixels being choppy ... that is a very common issue with the B5 A4's and from what I heard it is a decent expense to get it fixed. I have a 01 A4 sedan and love it. good luck!

musashin
05-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Well if everything continues to check out, as it seems it is so far, gonna be picking it up tomorrow for $6000 flat. [:D]

northcarohio
05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Wow congrats that's a great deal with that mileage and with the major services already done...........

Too bad its an automatic : (

musashin
05-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah, it's really a shame. But I can deal, I've had autos up until now, no biggie.

protocol_droid
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Make sure you do a compression check and for sure run the oil pressure (it doesn't matter what the oil looks like) to make sure the oil pickup tube isn't clogged which can be catastrophic for the car (blown engines or blown turbos...I had one so make sure). Also, check for transmission leaks front and rear since it's a quattro.