PDA

View Full Version : Headliner rewrap questions inside.

discontained
05-26-2010, 11:13 PM
So I spent most of my day removing my interior just to get the headliner out. Now, im going to the fabric store to get some new material. My question would be when removing the old fabic (saggy stained and ugly / to those of you who have reupholstered) did you pull the fabric off and leave the nasty foam or did you remove that too (if you did how so). I will be getting some spray adhesive from 3M as well. Last but not least any tips? I think ill have a ok time getting it to mold correctly.

Im going to be trying for some Ultrasuede. ANY suggestions on colors would be great too! I want to change my interior to black butttttttttt there is always someone with a good idea lurking somewhere. :)

Also if you remember what dimmensions off hand you got for the headliner & sunroof cover would be nice.

discontained
05-27-2010, 11:14 AM
wow nobody?

biketsai
05-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I've heard of people just leaving the foam part on and wrapping over.

goody6691
05-27-2010, 12:49 PM
if you keep the old foam on you have a better chance of the foam coming off later and then you will need to re do it all over again. do a search for foam city rubber. they make a headliner material that has a foam back. i and a few others have used to with great results.

allspooledup
05-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Scrape all the foam off for a proper job! the glue will hold much better this way and your fabric will lay flatter . I did it with a nylon scrub brush and that worked perfect. goody is talking about suedeliner. Its good stuff, I have the black in my car. it has a 1/8" layer of foam on the back of it already for an oem feel.
I bought mine here

http://www.jacobsupholstery.com/inc/sdetail/1070
I bought six yards, but i wanted some left over to wrap other things too. 4 yrds will do it but you wont have any back up incase you make a mistake.

brockallentaylo
05-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Scrape all the foam off for a proper job! the glue will hold much better this way and your fabric will lay flatter . I did it with a nylon scrub brush and that worked perfect. goody is talking about suedeliner. Its good stuff, I have the black in my car. it has a 1/8" layer of foam on the back of it already for an oem feel.
I bought mine here

http://www.jacobsupholstery.com/inc/sdetail/1070
I bought six yards, but i wanted some left over to wrap other things too. 4 yrds will do it but you wont have any back up incase you make a mistake.

Listen to this guy, you don't want to do this again in a month. Get as much of the foam off as possible, especially the stuff that wants to flake off as you rub your hand back and fourth. Make sure you use the proper 3M glue (pricey) and try to have a helper to hold up the other side of the material as you work your way toward him, making sure that you have enough "tack" on the glue but also haven't waited long enough for it to dry too much. You will know it's ready when you poke it with your finger and it wants to stick to it, and make sure to spray both sides!

discontained
06-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Here are some pics from my iPhone (crappy) will get better ones.

I got a 1/8 inch layer of foam backing ontop of the ultra suedeeeeee lol

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs511.ash1/30159_409049883072_501403072_4274944_473217_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs551.snc3/30159_409862598072_501403072_4298330_2185863_n.jpg
^^ those arent wrinkles (its from my finger) the material is just pushed in the opposite way of the other grain? LOL

Coopa
06-02-2010, 06:23 PM
That brown actually goes with your plaid beltline trim very well. (typically i'm against plaid..) Got any more pictures of the whole shi-bang? Looking good man!

You could probably use a striping brush on your headliner to get that freshly detailed look...hahah

discontained
06-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Yea I need to actually pull it back out and redo it, when i was fighting with it to go back in it got snagged on something and ripped the drivers side by the visor so I patched it for now. I was so mad. It took forever to get the fabric even and decent. Now i have to pull it all back out and redo it.

I will get some pics later on today, if it stops raining. Been raining here all week :(

Yea i was going to do black but i dont feel like swapping my whole interior out haha so I kept it that way and did the coffee brown fabric. Funny thing is i was waiting on the material and I spray painted my rear deck with gloss black paint and it actually came out pretty decent lol. To bad im recovering it now .. Thanks coopa oh and I sold the euro plate :P You didnt respond quick enough to my PM.

Scotty@Advanced
06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
It's the foam that breaks down over time and causes your headliner material to sag or fall off. To properly refinish a headliner all the old foam/material must be scrapped off.

allspooledup
06-03-2010, 01:16 PM
You could probably use a striping brush on your headliner to get that freshly detailed look...hahah

I use a detailing paintbrush, works great on the suede and also to keep my dash, radio, trim ect dust free!
It resides in my door and keeps me entertained at long lights.

Coopa
06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks coopa oh and I sold the euro plate :P You didnt respond quick enough to my PM.

No worries, I didn't reply because I'm broke as isht. If it had said anything but euro slut..I wouldn't have considered it. Guy at the meet I went to last sunday had "pantydrpr"..almost as good as euro slut lol.

the_pirate
06-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Looks really good!

compositech
06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
What type of 3M glue are you guys using?Is it the Super 77??
Thanks,
Lawrence

10kredline
06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Damn, I need to reupholster the ceiling of my car also. It's sooo saggy and dirty. Where do you guys buy your fabric from? and what type of 3M spray glue?

discontained
06-04-2010, 09:42 AM
It's the foam that breaks down over time and causes your headliner material to sag or fall off. To properly refinish a headliner all the old foam/material must be scrapped off.
I did, I removed all that OEM foam. Was a pain in the ass but its all gone. I got new foam and bonded it to my material.

No worries, I didn't reply because I'm broke as isht. If it had said anything but euro slut..I wouldn't have considered it. Guy at the meet I went to last sunday had "pantydrpr"..almost as good as euro slut lol.
All good man. lol @ pantydrpr

Looks really good!
Thanks!

What type of 3M glue are you guys using?Is it the Super 77??
Thanks,
Lawrence
Yep, Super 77 - FTW!