PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Spray: Nitrous or Methanol?

PuntA4
05-26-2010, 05:28 AM
I was thinking of getting some type of boost cooler. But I heard that you can spray methanol into your intercooler because it will lock up the turbo and everything. But basically I was wonder if anyone had some ideas or could help my out with understanding it all because im new to both kinds, and dont know what I would have to do for either one. And would I have to change any internals or is there any harm in either one?

Thanks

http://www.prostreetonline.com/x/nx-n-tercooler-kit.asp (Nitrous)

http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/products/STAGE_2_A4_1_8T_BOOST_COOLER-897-279.html (Methanol)

champion
05-26-2010, 07:14 AM
neither

Direct port nitrous FTW

Scotty@Advanced
05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Are you spraying it on your inter-cooler, or into the engine?

If your spraying your inter-cooler (externally) then liquid CO2 is the way to go. Nitrous or methanol should be put into your engine.

PuntA4
05-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Obviously into the engine would work better, but which is safer so I dont need to change or worry about any internals?

runvsofme07
05-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Water meth.. FTW

bandit
05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Obviously into the engine would work better, but which is safer so I dont need to change or worry about any internals?

Dude, if your looking to cool your IAT's just go with a water/methanol kit. As far as spraying the intercooler just go with C02. No internal work needed.

LightSwitch
05-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Water meth.. FTW

Agreed.

A4Rob
05-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Are you spraying it on your inter-cooler, or into the engine?

If your spraying your inter-cooler (externally) then liquid CO2 is the way to go. Nitrous or methanol should be put into your engine.

I gotta disagree Scotty. If you have any leaks in your boost piping, you do not want any C02 going into the engine. I run a NX intercooler sprayer and always use nitrous. Yea, it costs double but I feel super duper special doing it.

PuntA4
05-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Im thinking im going to go the water/meth. And I beleive my car has a stage 2 clutch in it (it was put it before i owned it) and would that clucth be able to handle meth?

Scotty@Advanced
05-27-2010, 05:14 AM
I gotta disagree Scotty. If you have any leaks in your boost piping, you do not want any C02 going into the engine. I run a NX intercooler sprayer and always use nitrous. Yea, it costs double but I feel super duper special doing it.

If you got boost leaks you need to fix them. C02 won't do harm your engine if ingested either.

onemoremile
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Meth will not increase power without a special tune for it. Your clutch is in no additional danger.

champion
05-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Like the other guy said, fix your boost leaks, and C02 won't do harm your engine if ingested. You use N2O to spray your i/c??

thenofjboy
05-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Meth will not increase power without a special tune for it. Your clutch is in no additional danger.

you will get some benefit, maybe not much but at least your IATs will be lower etc but you obviously need a tune that takes advantage of the WMI to truly optimize that gains.