PDA

View Full Version : Help me out with some questions guys!

Tigerstone
05-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey, I looked around and im sure im missing something but i have a couple questions. if I got the 034 Stage III would I only need an exhaust system, and FMIC? Plus I was just wondering what the general oppinon of this kit was? Thank you so much for the help guys!

Tigerstone
05-09-2010, 05:06 PM
come on please guys!

revolution337
05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
for that power, you will probably need a built engine, along with many more supporting mods.

Tigerstone
05-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Like what supporting mods?

revolution337
05-09-2010, 06:11 PM
at least rods, fmic, exhaust (preferably 3" or larger), larger injectors, upgraded fuel pump, etc. not to mention you will need a tune for it. you will almost definitely need a stronger clutch as well, blah, blah, blah. all this info is readily available via the search button.

Seerlah
05-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey, I looked around and im sure im missing something but i have a couple questions. if I got the 034 Stage III would I only need an exhaust system, and FMIC? Plus I was just wondering what the general oppinon of this kit was? Thank you so much for the help guys!

This kit has mixed reviews. The application you choose to use will depend on what type of powertrain you desire. The t3/t04e is a journal bearing turbo, compared to ball bearing turbos which people seem to like more, but also cost more money. Setups are different also, as the t3/t04e does not utilise the coolant system incorportated into the turbo charger. The kit should come with all lines and fittings required to bolt everything up, though. One thing people overlok is fabrication needed. For example, your pvc system. You will need to do something about that. Most people simply get rid of it and add a vented catch can oil system. Not sure about the SAI system, but if you have an AEB you don't need to worry about that because they did not come with one.

Supporting mods is a must. You would ideally want a clutch that is strong enough to hold at least 425ft/lbs of torque. All clutches are different, so you would want to talk to an expert to see which one would suit you well for your driving style and intent with the turbo system (occassional track days, circuit only tracking, drag strip driving, only a dd, etc). You would want a minimum of a full 3" system to match the 3" downpipe. You don't want to create more back pressure, as that would hold the turbo back from spooling quicker than it would vs a free flowing exhaust system. You can look into systems designed for the B5 S4 (if you are Quattro) as they bolt up the same if you cut right after the y-pipe. You would just need to have some piping to fill the missing gap. As for the engine, more displacement means quicker spool. The t3/t04e takes longer for full spool as compared to ball bearing turbochargers. That is one reason people will opt for the 50 trim over the 57 trim (quicker spool). But it all depends on what you really want.

034 can get you everything you would need to complete the setup, including software, fpr, injectors, etc. But you would def want to look into upgrading key parts, such as a fuel pump. As far as stock engine internals go, you can run that turbo on low boost. But if you really want to push that turbo to it's full potential, you would def want rods. If that is done, you can make anywhere between 350-400whp with that turbo. Then you would want other supporting modifications, such as suspension, motor mounts, transmissions mounts, snub mounts, rear diff mounts, etc. Once again, 034 can hook you up with all of this stuff, or you can source parts elsewhere. But that's about it. The things you would need that are not listed in the kit is this:

-fpr (I would suggest an afpr w/gauge)
-injectors
-tune
-MAF (unless you are going MAFless on the ME7)
-custom intake setup (not needed if going MAFless, just attach the filter to the compressor housing)
-catch can setup
-clutch
-upgraded fuel pump
-rods (if you want to run more boost, otherwise run 15psi to be safe)
-gauges to monitor your system (boost and A/F is the bare minimum)
-intercooler

Then you would def want to upgrade mounts and your suspension.

speedydragon
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
^ great reply

one more thing, if you're not sure what you need to run the 034stg III, you shouldn't really be running it.

EuroDriven
05-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I think Seerlah has a book of responses by now that he can just copy & paste onto here haha!

+1 for you Seerlah!

-John

dcampana
05-10-2010, 10:11 AM
no doubt Seerlah.. you went above and beyond. another valid post by you sir. nice for taking the time.

i agree with Speedy too, if you are asking this kind of stuff, dont buy the stage 3 until you are well versed. no sense in jumping in to this too quickly. there are plenty of us with stage 3 (ish) cars that would be happy to inform you. start in the build section. you will learn alot...

EuroDriven
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Let me add...DO NOT do this until you know what you are getting into...I wanted to just go with a small BT then everyone on here talked me into going bigger and bigger. Not that it is a bad thing but I had no idea what I was getting into. Its more work then you will expect and WAY more money then what you expect. I just wanted to do something quick but that didn't happen. Start small...Chip, intake, and exhaust. Move up to a PC-16 for the k04 with a high flow manifold on it if you want more. OR go with a small t3/t4 setup so you have the manifold on there for later. I am not sure what is required but something along the lines of a 50trim t3/t4 with a logger manifold and 440 injectors would likely run well for cheap. This has better off the shelf tuning and better reliability. I would say w/clutch and tuning for this your looking at about 4500ish for this setup.

Make any corrections to what I said if necessary.

-John

Tigerstone
05-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Ok, im not looking for a huge mobster thing just something with pretty good power to have some fun with on the weekend.so is there a way to make around 300 ish to the wheels without having to build the engine? Im not completely dumb about cars and stuff even though it sounded like that,i just didn't know what kind of power it was putting out and what would be needed... Would one of the elims make enough to put down 300? Thanks again

dcampana
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
well the elims will get you close to the 300 mark. But you will be running the risk of rod failure with it. (depends on the year of your car. If you have an older B5, 97-99.5 you should be ok. If newer, you run the rod risk (as i do) lol

the older model is thr AEB motog and the rods SHOULD be ok. everything is ran at risk of course... everyone will tell you what you should do, to refrain from having catastrophic failure. i am a gluttne for punishment though. i learn from experince (my own not others).

so tell us the story... year of newly acquired car????

revolution337
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Ok, im not looking for a huge mobster thing just something with pretty good power to have some fun with on the weekend.so is there a way to make around 300 ish to the wheels without having to build the engine? Im not completely dumb about cars and stuff even though it sounded like that,i just didn't know what kind of power it was putting out and what would be needed... Would one of the elims make enough to put down 300? Thanks again

the 2871R elim is as close to 300 hp as you will get (with an elim kit). like the others said, don't bite off more than you can chew. the bigger you go, the more you lose daily drivability (unless you dump mad cash). i def. recommed the elim kit, especially if you still want a DD

Seerlah
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
No matter what type of application you throw at the motor, it still has it's limits. The stock pistons have seen over 500chp, but most B5 A4 owners know the breaking point of the connecting rods. Once you reach the 400chp mark, you are skating on thin ice. Even though it's torque that snaps them, the numbers are not too far away. Also, these cars have a really nice torque spike. That is the part that really snaps/bends the rods. Tunes play a key role here. For example, CTapp and Unitronics (what most use) tunes are very agressive. This means that your numbers will be higher than other tuners. But you then need to take into considerationthe integrity of your engine internals. If you go with a tuner such as Revo, then the tune will be more lenient on engine internals (connecting rods). But it won't be as agressive as Ctapp or Unitronics.

The best thing to do is to play it safe. Once you reach around the 400chp mark, look into having forged drop in rods placed into your vehicle. And you always have the option to run lower boost (mbc or ebc) till you do have funds to do engine work. Many people go this route, as it saves the trouble of having to do another turbo setup once they do have funds for engine work. All they have to do is crank up the boost, and they can have 50+whp ready at the turn of a knob.

Tigerstone
05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
See that sounds perfect, running a lower boost on one of the elim kits till I can get enough money to drop in rods. So can one of you give me some info on what I should be looking at? And I have a tiptronic 2001 quatro. Thanks yet again guys!

Seerlah
05-11-2010, 02:26 AM
Whoa.......the tiptronic is a whole different ball game. I would not place anything larger than a GT2871R on the tip tranny. So yeah, the GT2871R eliminator may seem the best route for you. And there are plenty of people running 22psi on that turbo with stock internals. Would I recommend it? No. Can it be done? Yes. Is it really safe? No. Are they skating on thin ice? Yes. But still, it can be done. If your powerband is smoothe to the point of no big torque spikes, then that would make it less stressful on engine internals. People have snapped rods with turbo setups smaller than the GT2871R. It's the torque that gets them.

revolution337
05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
It's the torque that gets them.

bingo [up] well said seerlah.

thenofjboy
05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I think Seerlah has a book of responses by now that he can just copy & paste onto here haha!

+1 for you Seerlah!

-John

hahah X2 -

Seerlah always has good knowledge to pass along

Tigerstone
05-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Ok so I should get this? http://www.ctsturbo.com/products/B5_1_8T_GT2871R_Eliminator_Hardware_Kit-237-1.html A full exahust system, and a FMIC. Thats covering everything right?

revolution337
05-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Ok so I should get this? http://www.ctsturbo.com/products/B5_1_8T_GT2871R_Eliminator_Hardware_Kit-237-1.html A full exahust system, and a FMIC. Thats covering everything right?

and the injectors, and the pump, and the TIP, and a stronger clutch

dcampana
05-12-2010, 08:34 AM
revolution- he is automatic, so a better tip chip for sure.... to hold the power.....

here is a link:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?266477-***-034-Motorsport-Audi-A4-B5-B6-1.8-20V-Turbo-KITS-200whp-to-550-whp-***

that will get you all, but the tip upgrade, the FIMC and exhaust.....

revolution337
05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
haha whoops, i completely skipped over the part that he was auto.