PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get an Exhaust... Questions (for you experts)

blackhat
05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't wanna throw a bunch of money down for a Borla or APR, or something amazing... I want the limit to be like.. $400 if that.. installed and everything... I want it nice and deep, nothing fart can like, just something that sounds nice even when you get on it hard.. I have a K03, I'll probably never go any bigger then a K04 with this car.. I'm not looking for super speed.. I'd only get a K04 when my K03 dies, so that being said I intend to go with a 2.5" exhaust...

Anyway, turbo back & catback, is there any advantages here to sound/performance.. like.. instead of doing "cat---2.5piping-********************--muffler-tips", doing turbo--2.5--cat--2.5-************-muffler-tips, (top to bottom).
How many resonators do we have? Is it better to run without a resonator as far as sound goes?

also whatever I get must be able to pass inspection :)

I just want something deep and nice toned, nothing wicked loud & fart can like, no popping sounds, etc..

What setup are you guys running and how do you like it?

Peter1.8t
05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't mean to be a dick but this gets asked every couple days. Search is your friend, it hold all kinds of knowledge.

myb5quattro
05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
have an exhaust shop build you a stainless system with a race resonator and magnaflow 14816 muffler. You'll have a nice tone, with little drone. And yeah this does get asked a ton. You are right though, 2.5" is the way to go for your plans. Good luck!

heffer
05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
have an exhaust shop build you a stainless system with a race resonator and magnaflow 14816 muffler. You'll have a nice tone, with little drone. And yeah this does get asked a ton. You are right though, 2.5" is the way to go for your plans. Good luck!

I'm no expert but I was going to say this exact same thing. I had one on my passat and loved it.

stack
05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
for 400 bucks.
just get 2.5" piping from the cat-back get rid of the resonator. it weights alot. get a magnaflow muffler.
that will give you a deep sound. but not tinty like a civic.
look up some youtube videos they help alot

jm121189
05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
With a budget of $400 you could get 2.5" piping from the downpipe back and a magnaflow muffler or what ever you can find in the classifieds/ebay. Have a shop weld it together. Won't do much for performance but it will sound better. If you want a real difference spend that $400 on a HFC from 034. Don't know how much it will change with stock cat back exhaust but with my full 2.5" it made a good difference.

stack
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
if you get a magnaflow muffler ....which i highly recommend, its like 325.00 online...there some website, most people here know what it is ...you can get it for 139$ shipped if you call

blackhat
05-04-2010, 06:30 PM
$139 shipped? O_O, someone send me a link to that!

Mike Panic
05-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Had a Vibrant all black muffler hung today - $118 shipped. I didn't want full piping run because I don't have a chip or bigger turbo, so really no need.. but here's photos http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?361311-FedEx-delivered-something-black-and-pretty-for-me-today

snoboarder_mike
05-31-2010, 01:09 PM
hey all i'm new to this website. i was referred to by audi-sport.net. i am also looking for a new muffler. all the above makes sense but what about just replacing the muffler while keeping stock piping and everything else intact? check this out. i don't know who owns this but i love the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUE7RZ59YA

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/snoboarder_mike/14816.jpg -14816 magnaflow muffler

one thing i absolutely DON'T want is a ricer/tin-can exhaust sound. from the youtube clip, i doesn't sound like that but just wanted to see what you guys think.

thanks!