PDA

View Full Version : A6: Fog Light Jumper/Rewire

BostonDriver
02-04-2005, 09:40 AM
I like using the fog lights as daytime running lights, to keep the hours off those expensive xenon bulbs. But the A6 is not designed to operate the fog lights without the low beams being turned on. On the A4, there is a simple VAG COM fix for this, but in the A6, no VAG code exists to make this work.

Here is a quick and dirty way to do it, which is completely reversible if desired. Basically, you will be jumping a circuit on your fuse panel from the fog light circuit to the one designated for the rear wiper (if you have a sedan, this slot is vacant, but if you have an Avant, this will not work).

First, get a pair of right angle fuse taps from your local auto parts store. Cut the connector off the end of the wire of one of the taps, and strip the wire to connect the two taps together, and insert two 10A fuses into the slots, one in each tap.

Then, remove the 15A #36 fuse (check your owner's manual for the right slot, mine is for a 2001 A6 2.7T). Insert one of the taps so the fuse is above the tap assembly. Then insert the other tap upside down in fuse slot #27 (again, please check your owner's manual!) so the fuse is below the tap assembly.

Now, your fogs can operate with only the parking lights on, and without the low beams on. The fogs still shut off when high beams are used (like if you flash your lights).

One word of caution: do not operate the rear fog for any period of time. It might overload the wire. This happened to me once, and it blew one of the fuses. I never use the rear fog anymore. I also use 10A fuses because using two 15A fuses in the taps results in frequent blown fuses.

If you want to see pictures and further description of this mod, go to:
fog light rewire (http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/375675.phtml)