PDA

View Full Version : When to replace what?

er1cpeters
04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
my '96 Audi A4 2.6 FWD is working on its 15th year now...and I've never been a great "car guy"

I have a very low mileage (86k), but the transmission was replaced around 7 years ago (doh lemon!)

I was trying to find some good resources around general wear/tear or various parts in the car and when they should get replaced.

I suspect my shocks/struts (what exactly does my FWD version have, I see a lot of Quattro postings for people installing Coil Overs (which I understand are upgrades?)) may need to get replaced sooner rather than later.

What type of love have I been neglecting my car, that if I took him into the mechanic more often he'd tell me about?

Seerlah
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Take heed to this rule: "Don't fix it, if it isn't broken"

Just be sure to keep up to date on your fluids (brake, coolant, oil, transmission, power steering, etc), filters (fuel, air, cabin), and timing belt. Other than that, fix things as they come along. Because it's an Audi, they will eventually come along. Till then, don't worry too much.

Hmm, when was your timing belt last changed? Looks like it's getting around that time, if it hasn't been done yet.

er1cpeters
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Take heed to this rule: "Don't fix it, if it isn't broken"

Just be sure to keep up to date on your fluids (brake, coolant, oil, transmission, power steering, etc), filters (fuel, air, cabin), and timing belt. Other than that, fix things as they come along. Because it's an Audi, they will eventually come along. Till then, don't worry too much.

Hmm, when was your timing belt last changed? Looks like it's getting around that time, if it hasn't been done yet.

Is this the right DIY Guide: http://www.brrman.com/audi/tbelt_diy/TimingBeltDIY.html ?

Also recommends water pump and some other belts?

I did recently (6 months ago ish) had to replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor (got a fault code on an OBD2 sensor, replaced it and haven't had a problem with it since)

Seerlah
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
No, that a write up for the 1.8t engine.

walky_talky20
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the shocks. The B5 suspension seems to be quite durable. I'm quite sure my car had the factory original equipment at 160k and it was just fine. I only replaced it to lower the car.

Just get that t-belt done pronto. 15 years is too many for that belt.