PDA

View Full Version : The Best way to Clean out Fuel System

anmagro
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
So i ushally run my car on about 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank of gas for the reasons that...
1. Keeps me from dumpin $40 on a tank at a time.
2. MPG is helped out a little.

.....yesterday, i think i sucked up some bad gas, or some $hit thats been floatin around in my tank since 1998, so the car sputtered a little bit, stalled, took 25ish cranks for a slooowww start, (sounded like it was choking) Whats the best way to clean out the fuel system? Im going to start with changing the fuel filter. Is seafoam really the best option? Or can other things be done. [>_<]

FNK
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Changing the fuel filter is a good start

Seerlah
04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't know about best, but here is what you should do.

1. replace air filter (increases gas mileage)
2. replace fuel filter (should be replaced every 30k, regardless)
3. throw a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner in your tank on your next fill (I do this maybe 3-4 times a year)

Other variables that contribute to fuel consumption is the condition of your primary 02 sensors, MAF, and tire pressure. And of course, our freind Mr. Leadfoot[drive].

anmagro
04-19-2010, 02:14 PM
lol ^ truth.

im going to pick some of that stuff up. i have read alot about Lucas products. seem to be what people are using. seafoam basicly the same thing in reguards to fuel system cleaning?

Seerlah
04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Seafoam does the same thing, in a nut shell. And gunk that was in your fuel tank, should have been picked up by your fuel pump screen or your fuel filter. If enough gunk clogged up either of those 2, you could have issues that you are experiencing. But doing what I posted above should do the trick of cleaning out your system and assist in increasing your fuel mileage.

Edit: Dialogue check on your sig[;)]

anmagro
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
haha ill fix it lol

Insomniac
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Aviation Fuel [:D]