PDA

View Full Version : Couple problems come up

mauboussin
04-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Hello guys, my car is 01 Audi a4 quattro 1.8t.
Recently, the front left outer tie rod end was broken, which brand parts is good for that, TRW or Meyle, or someone else? About how much?
And do I need to replace the right one at the same time?
Besides, my AC doesn't work, I was told that the AC compressor and receive dryer have to be replaced.
Usually, how much for the parts and labor? Which brand is good? I heard about some rebuilt or re-manufactured parts are cheaper, are they good?

salz2135
04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
You won't save on any labor time by replacing both tie rod ends at once. Meyle parts should be fine.

redB5
04-18-2010, 01:07 PM
You won't save on any labor time by replacing both tie rod ends at once. Meyle parts should be fine.

yes he will, because it'll only need the alignment done once instead of twice.

salz2135
04-18-2010, 01:24 PM
That's fine. You're assuming the other tie rod will go bad in the near future, or at the latest before his car is due for another alignment. I simply never recommend replacing parts that are in perfectly good working order unless labor time is actually saved.

mauboussin
04-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Thank you guys, how about A/C problem?
My AC doesn't work, and dealer told me to replace the AC compressor and receive dryer.
Do you know the regular price for these parts? and where can I get good price? Which brand is good?
I found some rebuilt or re-manufactured parts for AC compressor online, are these rebuilt or re-manufactured parts good quality?
Are the parts in NAPA store reliable?

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
For suspension component on these cars there are two leading brands: Meyle and Febi. Lemforder is also a quality brand but less used as they are more pricey. The debate between replacing both at the same time is ongoing. I personally replace tie rods, struts, wheels, wheel bearings and brake pads in pairs. In my experience, when one thing fails the other is not far behind. Here we are talking about an 9 year old car, it isn't unlikely to assume both outer tie rods are worn similarly and will both be prone to fail at the same time. This is just my opinion of course.

As per replacements, we stock the most popular brands here, click click to order (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Suspension/OEM/Tie_Rods/?salesrep=CArmbruster&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=CArmbruster&utm_campaign=postreply). If I were in your position I would order a set of heavy duty our Meyle tie rod end kits with free shipping and just do both at one time. You will need an alignment after a tie rod replacement so why not do both at one time?!

http://img.ecstuning.com/product_library/2187/300/Heavy%20Duty%20Tie%20Rod%20End%20Set%2C%20Left%20% 26%20Right%20Ends%20(Pair).jpg

mauboussin
04-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Thank you so much. I did one side first, and fortunately, my car still go straight pretty well, it seems I don't need to do alignment, am I right?
Who can tell me something about A/C problem?

salz2135
04-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Do you "need" and alignment? No.

Is it likely your toe is off from installing the new part? Yes.

Even if you can't feel it your toe can be off. Maybe a few thousand miles down the road you will start to see uneven tire wear on that side of the car. If it were my car, I would get an alignment done. That's just me.

Dallas09
04-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Thank you so much. I did one side first, and fortunately, my car still go straight pretty well, it seems I don't need to do alignment, am I right?
Who can tell me something about A/C problem?

Do you know anything about how the A/C stopped working, did it just stop blowing cold one day, slowly get less cold, or did it start failing and was it accompanied by a loud whine or a broken belt in the car?

mauboussin
04-19-2010, 09:45 PM
It had not worked about one week and more, no cold wind blow out at all, just warm wind.
AUDI Dealer told me to replace the compressor because it's old enough.
No whine, but I don't know whether there is a broken belt.

Dallas09
04-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Well if the dealer wanted to do the compressor because it was just old, thats a terrible reason, they are pretty expensive, if it didnt fail, dont replace it. I would suspect you have a leak in the system somewhere, possibly at the dryer because the dealer wanted to replace it; however, the dryer is often replaced when there is a leak anywhere in the system to keep it running well (along with the orafice tube, or aka the restrictor), so this may have been the reason why the dealer wanted to replace it. To find the leak look for a neon green color on any of the lines or components, look for wet looking circles on your condenser (that is the black radiator in front of the actual metal colored coolant radiator), you can also take it to a shop to have them try to find the leak. There are a couple other reasons the A/C might not work, the pressure switch is one of them, you can get an A/C pressure gauge and connect it to the LOW service side (one of the two metal lines that runs into the passenger side of the car), to see if it has pressure. If it happens to have pressure, a A/C relay or the pressure switch would more likely be the problem, if it doesnt have pressure, its because of a leak.

mauboussin
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
In the morning, I went to an auto air condition store have a check again.
They didn't finish the job because I have to work at afternoon, but so far, they didn't find leak, and told me there is an electrical problem of my air condition. They said no power come into the compressor. They will check again when I come back.
Any ideas???
Thank you guys, really appreciate your help!!!

Dallas09
04-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Could be the A/C relay if its electrical, or the pressure switch that I described above. Check the relay and see if its good, then there is a way to short together the connector of the A/C pressure switch (located on the left side of the condenser behind the passenger headlight if I didnt mention that), Im not sure which wires though maybe someone will know. If none of that works VAG it and see if you come up with anything.

mauboussin
04-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Thank you Dallas09, thank you everyone, really appreciate you guys' suggestion and ideas.
I will go back on this Saturday because the mechanic said he needs half day to fully check it out. I will share my experience with you guys after that, and I hope I can still hear your suggestion. By the way, I hear some weird noise "zi zi zi ....." came from the left air outlet when I drove fast. Not really often, but sometime a little loud.
Do have any idea?
Hope to hear from you soon.

mauboussin
04-21-2010, 05:58 PM
About the weird noise from the left air outlet when driving fast. Nobody had similar experience before???
Give me some information or any ideas.
Thank you

mtroxel
04-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Well if the dealer wanted to do the compressor because it was just old, thats a terrible reason, they are pretty expensive, if it didnt fail, dont replace it.

X2 Awful troubleshooting. Hopefully this other guy will get you on the right path. It is an electrical signal that engages the clutch on the compressor. If the clutch doesn't engage, no AC. You're guy might be on the right path.

mauboussin
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Appreciate that guys!
It would be a great news for me if my compressor is fine, or just some small problem cause AC doesn't work.
Than you!!

nic2000quattro
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
hey mate looks like your already on your way, but for good prices on parts, try 'german auto parts' and 'fcp groton'

mauboussin
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Bad news, it's still compressor problem. The compressor clutch doesn't work.
I live in San Diego CA, do you guys know where I can get good parts for good price?
Is that good to put re-manufactured compressor in?
Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Thanks

mauboussin
04-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Brand new is too expensive, how about the re-manufacture compressor? Is that good?
Which brand should I choose? And usually how much for that, and how much for labor?
Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Thanks

Dallas09
04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Remanufcatured is fine, and I dont really know much about the rest of your questions. I never really cared much about brands for parts like that I guess.