PDA

View Full Version : Can a lifter still be bad even if it specs out ok?

Quatrolio
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Have a 2000 1.8t quattro tip with a nasty valve tick. I've narrowed it down to #1 or #2 on the exhaust side with a stethoscope. So I've got
the valve cover off and I'm following the Bentley procedure of rotating lobes up, pressing down lifter with a dowel and checking clearances
with a feeler gauge. Bentley says if 0.20mm then replace. Thing is I can't even get a 0.10mm in there.

I've checked all 20 lifters and they all spec out. So my question is, can a lifter still be bad even though it is within spec?

I don't think it's the cct because it seems tight as heck and there's no tick coming from there when I check with a stethoscope.

Altech75
04-17-2010, 06:04 AM
AZ Member # 204.... Holy shit dude you've been around longer than virtually anyone, have you just been sitting on that account until recently or more likely just been searching all your problems to death to get an answer.

VW's are notorious for valve tick so it may just be that. Cleaning your engine with some Seafoam will probably help. Beyond that I can't help.

Quatrolio
04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
It's not the normal valve chatter, it's much louder. Doesn't do it right at start up either, it takes a minute. My oil pressure is a bit higher than factory spec and the check valve in the filter housing
appears ok. I mean the spring works and it hasn't backed out. Could that guy be the culprit? It just seems to me if it was an oil check valve or oil pump issue, all 20 valves would be clacking not just a couple?. Could it be an actual valve/spring/retainer issue?

Holy shit dude you've been around longer than virtually anyone, have you just been sitting on that account until recently or more likely just been searching all your problems to death to get an answer.

Ya I've been here for a minute. I usually just search for what I need. I'll post on occasion if I can't find something or if I can answer a question that hasn't been answered yet.