PDA

View Full Version : installing a reverse camera help?

Armenian
04-16-2010, 12:32 PM
hi, i have been trying to install a reverse camera on 03 audi a4. the headunit is new 7" display type of headunit with gps.. ect it is an aftermarket headunit. My questions is i have the reverse cam going into the CAM IN yellow rca coming out of the headunit. and it does not pick up signal. do i need to plug it into the TV rca? or how does this work
if anyone know's.. help is appreciated

Thanks

bez101
04-16-2010, 12:38 PM
silly question have you powered the cam up ?
and took a live from the reverse wires

Armenian
04-16-2010, 12:46 PM
haha yeah it might sounds like a silly questions but based on how i had it set up it might confused anyone :) ... so basically from the headunit the cam is plugged into Yellow RCA CAM IN then goes back and red connects to positive and black to the negative part of the reverse light. when you put the car in reverse the headunit is on TV mode screen and it say's no signal. so that's the part that confused me

bez101
04-16-2010, 12:48 PM
try to ground it to a good earth point
make sure there the right way round
err make sure your tv is set to auto switch if it does that it should do
make sure the cam works and is not faulty
how many wires has the cam got apart from the yellow RCA

Armenian
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
goog point about the auto switch on the tv, i didnt look into that ,
i was also concerned about the faulty camera because i didnt see any other reasons why it shouldent come on. but i really cant think of a legit way of checking that without blaming it on the connection...

bez101
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
to check wire to a perment live and ground good
then plug it into all the rca in.s u have im assuming its got a couple of inputs
that way you know you have a good power conection

EuroDriven
04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Bring the camera into your house and hook it up to your television and test it that way.

-John

Mawhitey
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
On mine i had to select a setting for + trigger or - trigger in the settings to get mine to come on.

Armenian
04-16-2010, 04:46 PM
good idea on the plugging into television part but where would i connect it where it would have 12v i cant plug that cam into a 120v socket... i am going to try that auto switch thing on the headunit maybe that is the issue.

EuroDriven
04-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Yea, look for an old walwart (transformer) from a router or something, or pull the battery out of the car. My battery is just in with the 2 bolts on the cables takes like 2 minutes to get out. Or if you have a 12 volt battery charger that would work too.

-John