PDA

View Full Version : Intake Manifold Rattle?

ebrakespin
04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
I have a rattling noise that I have traced to the intake manifold. does anyone know what in the manifold would rattle under vacuum? Is there anywhere I could get an exploded view of what is in the manifold. Its not the chain tensioner, wastegate, cat, brake booster, or brake booster check valve. The car doesnt burn any oil

PLEASE HELP!!

1999 a4 quattro 1.8t 5 speed

ebrakespin
04-15-2010, 08:07 AM
let me give a little more info. The rattle is metallic and can be heard in the car like its coming from behind the dash. The metallic rattling is being piped from the intake mani to the brake booster, so it is loud in the car. I replaced the brake booster and check valve, no luck. It only happens when the engine is decelerating and gets really loud when downshifting on the brakes. I need to sell the car but no one will want it with this rattle. I need a savior!

Mawhitey
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
For the price of a gasket i would remove it and look if you are so sure the rattle is from there. TBH there is nothing inside that can rattle, but maybe the fuel rail rattles or the coolant line?

I had a rattle that seemed to be coming from the bulkhead and it turned out to be loose brake pads, rattling in the carriers.

A quick tweak of the piston holding in springs(technical term,lol) and its been great.

Shame it cost me 2 arms and a inner track rod trying to cure it,lol

ebrakespin
04-30-2010, 07:49 AM
sooooo, I took the car to a mechanic and after 3 days he didn't find the problem, but he did manage to scratch the paint and rip the bumper off somehow. I HATE MECHANICS!

Euro-Tuner
04-30-2010, 07:55 AM
I'd think something simple like the support bracket underneath is loose or maybe the dipstick bracket is loose.

Scotty@Advanced
04-30-2010, 08:13 AM
I'd think something simple like the support bracket underneath is loose or maybe the dipstick bracket is loose.

Yup there's nothing inside the IM that could rattle unless you sucked something up there.

there's a number of braces that support the intake that could have come loose, I'd pull the IM and have a look around.