PDA

View Full Version : Front Knuckles

dreVanHalen
04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Hey guys,

I am planning on installing a new set of control arms soon and I am curious if it would be worth replacing the front knuckles as well. I am planning on doing wheel bearings, axles, and tie rods all at the same time, and thinking about waiting a LITTLE longer until I can afford to replace struts and springs as well. Just curious if it would be worth replacing the knuckles so everything up front would be pretty much brand new.

What are your guys opinions and does anyone know where to buy the knuckles and how much they cost.

Thanks,
Dre

RoadRage
04-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Not worth it.

Unless you're upgrading to the aluminum S4 versions. Then you can save some weight up front, but you'll also need different lower CA's.

dreVanHalen
04-14-2010, 03:01 PM
so they are not a part that normally wears out? I guess I am just planning on having everything look fresh up front so could a bead blast be sufficient enough to clean them all up?

mtroxel
04-14-2010, 04:40 PM
so they are not a part that normally wears out?

Nope. It's just a big steel casting that all the wear items attach to. It is the ONLY front suspension part that is original on my 270,000 mile A4.

Dallas09
04-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah no need to do the knuckles. I like your idea of waiting though to do the springs at the same time, no need to pull stuff apart twice.