PDA

View Full Version : For those who have installed 1-piece headlights...

quattro004
04-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Recently upgraded from original 2-piece to HID 1-piece ecode headlights on my '96 A4. As it is a '96 it does not have that third lower hole to secure the lights so it is bolted in with the two top tabs along with the knob on the inner side that slides into the slot next to the radiator.

However, on every expansion gap, bridge, or bump I hit or even when I hit the hood above the lights when the car is still the lights shutter/shake.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how to fix it?

bw86
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I just did the same thing and I'm getting a shake on the passenger light. I cut the driver-side fender a lot neater so maybe the passenger light isnt sitting properly.

pfa65
04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
try adjusting the bumper upwards to hold the lights up further. you can take the bumper off, and where the rebar mounts is threaded. adjust it upwards, and it should apply more pressure/support to stop the shaking.

good luck

quattro004
04-12-2010, 04:43 PM
The bumper has never and does not mount high enough in relation to the lock carrier which the headlights bolt to to rest up against them. Besides, headlights are held in place with bolts not by the bumper.

pfa65
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I will do my best to get some pictures... but I had this problem two weeks ago. My valeo one piece e codes were shaky, more so on the drivers side than the other. I adjusted my bumper upwards which helped align the seams with the fenders and the headlights. I would suggest trying it, and maybe getting some industrial velcro that you could use to mount the bottom of the lights to the bumper. My headlights have no movement while driving anymore.

Unless you manage to stop REALLY hard, how else are the lights going to come loose? I find the two tabs on top to be plenty.

quattro004
04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I will do my best to get some pictures... but I had this problem two weeks ago. My valeo one piece e codes were shaky, more so on the drivers side than the other. I adjusted my bumper upwards which helped align the seams with the fenders and the headlights. I would suggest trying it, and maybe getting some industrial velcro that you could use to mount the bottom of the lights to the bumper. My headlights have no movement while driving anymore.

Pictures would be great if you could. I'm just not entirely confident my bumper will raise any higher. I have had it off quite a few times and it only wants to go on one way everytime I reinstall it.

audee3
04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I had the same problem and after attempting all sorts of things to make them solid i ended up replacing my radiator support with one from 2001 so i can have the extra screws on the inside of the light's. Not the cheapest solution but i think it's the only way to get them not to move anymore.

Thi
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Glue some foam or rubber pads under your light housing.

Euromike
04-12-2010, 11:09 PM
i have sort of the same prob. one of those plastic peices broke off my light. I used some double sided 3M foam to hold it in place for now. hoping to figure out somthing more perminant.

Ldiaz12
04-13-2010, 03:56 AM
I Have the same problem but you can only see it when IF the HID's are swithced "on" cause you could see the Light shaking on what ever its shining on.. hope that made sense. I would find a way to zip tie it down.

quattro004
04-13-2010, 08:49 AM
i have sort of the same prob. one of those plastic peices broke off my light. I used some double sided 3M foam to hold it in place for now. hoping to figure out somthing more perminant.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Lighting/Headlights/Repair_Kits/ES1064/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Lighting/Headlights/Repair_Kits/ES1065/

dmaxn
04-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I zip tied it. Used the slots on the back of the light, where the caps slide in.

quattro004
04-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I zip tied it. Used the slots on the back of the light, where the caps slide in.

I can't picture the slots on the back that you are referring too. Also what did you zip tie them too? I was thinking maybe around the flat part of the lock carrier that runs under the rear part of the housings?

chimchongdlight
04-14-2010, 01:31 AM
yea show some pictures, ive tried almost everything!!!!