PDA

View Full Version : Need help with removing control arms please!

murphy_boy_2
04-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Last week I got into a little fender bender (apparently some people see four way stops as yields...). But anyways he got my fender and bent my upper control arms on the drivers side. The fender was no problem thanks to a guy on here parting out his S4 so I got one for cheap and I ordered the control arms from ECS.com so I have everything I need but I'm having trouble getting the upper front control arm off. There isn't enough room to take the long bolt out without taking the whole suspension rack out. What am I supposed to do here? Any help would be great!

Thanks
Jeff

RoadRage
04-09-2010, 03:10 PM
You need to remove the 3 bolts from inside the engine compartment.

http://www.blauparts.com/assets/audi_vw_control_arms/audi_control_arm_repair_1.jpg

That is of course after you remove the pinch bolt from the knuckle assembly.

Then before you reinstall everything you need to torque the control arms bolts with them off the car. The control arms need to be in the correct position before torquing. Bentley says 47mm + or - 2 mm of space between the strut bracket and the top of the control arms.

murphy_boy_2
04-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks, and obviously this is my first rodeo with suspension. I figure there is a first time for everything.