PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Serpentine Belt now wont start

bcan
04-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey guys: Thanks in advance!!

So today we finished up replacing my serpentine belt in my 97 1.8 quattro.. After everything's back together it wont start.

When the belt broke half of it was wrapped around the crankshaft and the other half was still on the pulleys but it was twisted, It was all removed but I wasn't sure if maybe there was some sensor or some special instructions on putting the serpentine or any of the other accessory belts back on?? I dont know how long it was driven like this since it was driving fine and it was only when i slow down to turn into a parking spot did it seize up..

It does turn over and the motor seems to be spinning the belts nicely.. Also wont start when jumped

Any suggestions are welcome!! THANKS!

trevor51590
04-08-2010, 07:50 AM
I'll just start off with the basics. Are you sure your timing belt didn't break? Did you get the blinking CEL?

How about your plugs, are they good/receiving fuel? All electrical connectors were properly put back when you reassembled everything?

A4Rob
04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
You potentially bent valves. Can you turn your crank at all with a wrench on it?

bcan
04-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys, problem is the car is 20 minutes away so I have to check these things later when we can get back down there. But please, any other suggestions welcomed! And I'll keep you updated

MattzWarsteiner
04-10-2010, 11:03 AM
I would check closely for missing connectors or hanging wires first. The thrown belt could have snagged parts of the harness at the front of the engine.

Is the CEL lit? Might want to VAG it and see what codes you get.