PDA

View Full Version : Just put in a new motor. Now won't start

SeekB00st
04-07-2010, 05:43 PM
So we just finished dropping in the new AEB in my 99.5 We couldn't get it to fire up. The fuel lines read that they have preasure and are working fine. The engine is properly grounded. The ground on the driver side with the brown wires is also properly grounded.

What could be causing this?
It seems to be that the problem is the starter. However, the starter seems to be hooked up correctly...

a4_1.8t_01
04-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Maybe your battery is dead.

A4Rob
04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Pull your starter out and test it with a battery jump pack.

SeekB00st
04-08-2010, 01:50 AM
How can you test it? It's off my old motor and the starter worked fine.

Battery is not dead. Regardless, the car would start on jumpers.

A1 A2 German
04-08-2010, 02:07 AM
We need a little more info:

So does the car start when jump started?

Is it even turning over? And if so, putter putter, or attempts and dies?

Easily, compression, gas and spark....test all three. Pull the feed line and place it into a cup, crank and couple times and you should have a good amount of fuel in there....spark and compression are easy. A simple goof I've done...is I crossed the fuel lines once and no starty.

A4Rob
04-08-2010, 05:28 AM
How can you test it? It's off my old motor and the starter worked fine.

Battery is not dead. Regardless, the car would start on jumpers.

Hook up the ground, and touch the + to the + on the starter. It will spin if it is good.

biketsai
04-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Hope you have the started connected correctly.

SeekB00st
04-08-2010, 10:45 AM
We need a little more info:

So does the car start when jump started?

Is it even turning over? And if so, putter putter, or attempts and dies?

Easily, compression, gas and spark....test all three. Pull the feed line and place it into a cup, crank and couple times and you should have a good amount of fuel in there....spark and compression are easy. A simple goof I've done...is I crossed the fuel lines once and no starty.

Ah actually no its not even clicking. So nothing more than that. Im going to go check the relays and jump the starter now.

SeekB00st
04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Tested the relay. It is getting power. The starter still will not start.

grillhands
04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Tested the relay. It is getting power. The starter still will not start.

Isn't there a wire connected to the starter that always gets crimped when conneting the motor to the trans? I've read this on a forum somewhere to take careful measures because the result will be the car won't start.

SeekB00st
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Isn't there a wire connected to the starter that always gets crimped when conneting the motor to the trans? I've read this on a forum somewhere to take careful measures because the result will be the car won't start.

Never heard of that. Well we tested the starter and it did not work. It worked on my old motor perfectly fine. I dont know what could be causing this problem?

grillhands
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/clutch.html&category=1 Look at step 5 in the "install tips." This is what i was referring to.

SeekB00st
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Is he refering to the wire that goes to the alternator? Cause that is clearly out of the way and not pinched between. The starter is simply mechanical, two wires attach for power and to the alternator and it has a harness attach.