PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the new A3 Sportback

CyberPMG
02-01-2005, 05:16 AM
To help out this new section, here's a link to pics I took of the new A3 Sportback when I was at the Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS). All of the pics can be viewed here: http://fatrings.smugmug.com/gallery/369425

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/14706403-M.jpg

http://fatrings.smugmug.com/photos/14706430-M.jpg

blacka4
02-01-2005, 07:13 AM
damn you paul..you went to detroit without me? jkI am going to buy one of those one day

A4-disiac
02-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Damn this car is hot. Will definately be considering this for my next purchase.

foofighter
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I LOVE how the front end looks like it's got a boser hood...from the FACTORY no less!!! excellent!

nmb
02-01-2005, 10:35 AM
not liking those orange blinkers on the bumper :(

CyberPMG
02-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by nmb
not liking those orange blinkers on the bumper :(

The benefit for that is now the A3 (and the B7 A4) now get ecodes as standard headlights in the US! [race]

quicksilver_S
02-01-2005, 10:44 AM
I like it.. Im sure it looks better in person. Ill be waiting for the 3.2L quattro w/6 speed as well. not unless I find a nogaro b6 s4 avant first :)

Anthony
02-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Sweet, thanks for the pics!!! [up]

The fact that they are putting the orange reflectors on the bumper now instead of in the headlight housing is awesome! Much easier and cheaper to mod that way. [:)] I am hoping the Euro rub strips will be a direct swap. If not, you could always just paint over the reflector. Or if worse comes to worse, Euro bumper! [:D]

I too love how Audi is going with a "boser" hood. I nearly died when I first saw that on the new Audis, too cool!

AudiSnawb
02-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by CyberPMG
The benefit for that is now the A3 (and the B7 A4) now get ecodes as standard headlights in the US! [race]
COME ON! Are you serious?!? I didnt know that... Thats awesome, and truely, how it should be for any car anyone purchases over 20K (I Think anything over that price should come equipt with them)

LEDFoot
02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by AudiSnawb
COME ON! Are you serious?!? I didnt know that... Thats awesome, and truely, how it should be for any car anyone purchases over 20K (I Think anything over that price should come equipt with them)

The reason that the us market has previously had different headlights is that to be dot approved a car MUST have amber REFLECTORS in front, just bulbs that blink with an amber light is not enough.
By using separate amber reflectors the headlight housing can remain the same both places.

AudiSnawb
02-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Oh wow , I didnt even realize there was no amber color in them... very sporty, Im lovin it

JMG
02-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by CyberPMG

so theoretically it will be cheaper to eliminate the yellow?

CyberPMG
02-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by JMG
so theoretically it will be cheaper to eliminate the yellow?

From looking at the A3 Sportback in Europe, it looks like the bumper strips are longer and could (in theory) cover over the reflectors. Shouldn't be that expensive to do. [;)]

[wrench] + [drive] = [az]

blacka4
02-03-2005, 07:12 AM
yeah or buy a euro spec bumper. will definitely need to do more research

Anthony
02-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Exactly. Time and experimentation with Euro-spec parts will tell. Will either be a simple bumper rubstrip mod, or require a complete Euro bumper.

If the rubstrips don't fit and you don't want to fork out the cash to import a Euro bumper, you could always do what the VWs guys do, and just paint the reflector. Not quite as clean but it works.

blacka4
02-03-2005, 12:14 PM
yeah or someone will have smoked markers like the VW guys. I personally would inport a euro bumper because it just looks better. Or someone will sell the bumper like ACH Tuning does with the OEM RS4 bumper

sxates
02-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Where's the xenons? Will that not be available on the A3? Even the Mazda 3 has them now, would be pretty weak for Audi to pass on them.

Anthony
02-03-2005, 12:59 PM
You can get the A3 with Xenons.

godzilla
02-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by blacka4
yeah or someone will have smoked markers like the VW guys. I personally would inport a euro bumper because it just looks better. Or someone will sell the bumper like ACH Tuning does with the OEM RS4 bumper

I think smoked markers would look the isht. It'll be alot easier to fix than doing the clear-corner mod.

Where's the foglights?

Anthony
02-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Foglights are available with the either of the "Packages", the Sport or Premium. See my Thread in here regarding official dealer info.

foofighter
02-04-2005, 12:07 PM
it'll be a rub strip if the bumper is considered a euro bumper otherwise you're assed out and will have to paint it or get a euro bumper.

As for the lights...let's not all get too excited the Eurospec lighting will still be a bit too agressive for DOT standards so the cutoff will invariably be more flat without the 15 degree kick up on the right.

Anthony
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
From all the photos I've compared, the bumpers look identical. Of course I won't know for sure until I import a pair of rubstrips and actually try it. I'll also see if I can get Cullen to begin tooling for clear and smoked replacement markers too. [:D]