PDA

View Full Version : cv boot replacement

tmr931
04-01-2010, 10:31 PM
When I was doing my suspension, I noticed that my cv boots were starting to crack. Nothing bad yet, but Id like to take care of it before it happens. Is it possible to just replace the boot? How hard of a job is it and what does it involve? Thanks

VinceDprincE
04-01-2010, 11:00 PM
outer boot... easy

inner boot... pain in the ass

Congratulati0ns
04-02-2010, 12:34 AM
yea, it straight forward, take the axle out of the car, thats how i did it because i know people that do it on the car but i took it out, then the outer your have to hit through a piece of wood, and it will pop out, then replace boot and clip, clean and regrease, the inside not sure what it involves never done it, cant imagine it being impossible.

B5A4Kevin
04-02-2010, 01:00 PM
the inner joint is honestly more trouble than its worth. if someone needs the inner boot, i just recommend an entire axle.

outer boots are gravy if the car is rust-free. however, you live in ohio, so im gonna go ahead and say its gonna be a pita for you strictly due to possible rust buildup. unless you recently had it out, or the audi gods are in your favor, chances are the upper control arm pinch bolt is siezed and will snap if you try to take it off. i would recommend paying some1 else to do it so if they mess it up, its on them, not you. the other option if you decide to DIY it, is to take loose the lower rear ball joint. 18mm nut and a picklefork/hammer combo.

and buy TONS of rust penetrating spray.

tjasielski
04-02-2010, 06:05 PM
this thread really helps http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?345160-CV-Boot-Replacement&highlight=boot

walky_talky20
04-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Drop the lower rear control arm (bottom, rear-most ball joint), and change the boot on the car. IMHO, the easiest way to do this job. And if your boot-replacement is preemptive (boot is not ripped open yet), no real need to clean anything. Just add some more grease to replace the grease that you got all over yourself (yeah, it's messy) and you're good to go.

B5A4Kevin
04-02-2010, 08:34 PM
couldnt have said it better.

turbo_bootin
04-03-2010, 11:32 AM
It's not worth taking the axle out. Just buy a two-piece boot. I learned that the hard way ;)

2001A4QUATTRO
04-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Are you guys serious? Very easy. Getting the axle out is only hard if you have no mechanical inclination. Once it is out replacing the inner and outer boots are easy. I am sure the $60 axles you get at advance auto are just as good as our $700+ OEM axles..... :)

I just replaced my inners and outers @ 94k with OEM boot kits. Comes with everything even the bolts for $60 a side (inner and outer). I drove with no boot on my axle for over a year. Cleaned the axle and it still looked brand new. Regreased and re-installed. Good luck!

redB5
04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Anyone have another source for the advance auto axles? Just found out my outer boots are torn on both sides, went on Advance's site and they're not in stock locally or online. Called them up and they said the warehouse they ship from was out of stock so they couldn't get them? Alternatively, what's the next best brand/place to get em from? TIA.