PDA

View Full Version : High Preformance Clutch.

turbo944s2
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Finally in the final stages of my 2.0 rebuild, wondering what kind of clutch to get. My car is going to be a 2.0 running a 2871r eliminator until it is broken in, then I will be swaping it out for possibly a gt30r or greater. I dont have any experience with puck style clutch. Can someone tell me how long they last do they chatter? Can you also point me into the right direction of a clutch that can handle 450 plus horsepower? I currently have a south bend that fits a stock style flywheel, southbends website is down so I dont know where to find info on the next one up.

Thanks for you help guys.

20vpower
03-28-2010, 08:28 PM
I am running a Clutchmasters FX400 6 puck ceramic clutch, with a lightweight steel flywheel on my t3t4 50trim. I havent ran anything over 15psi yet but it handles that just fine. No chatter from the lwfw that I can tell.

turbo kraut
03-28-2010, 08:28 PM
i'd go with a clutch masters... get in touch with mike @ ringer-racing.com

Tifun
03-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Considering how close you would be to them, I would say look into South Bend Clutch. Call and ask for Andy, he has a huge wealth of knowledge and they have great customer service. I'm super satisfied with my SBC since my switch from SPEC.

biketsai
03-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Clutchmasters, I have the FX400 from Ringer-racing.com

turbo944s2
03-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Are you guys using a stock style flywheel? Tell me about the feel and the life of a puck style clutch.

Tifun
03-29-2010, 06:48 AM
I went with a single mass conversion and my chatter dropped down dramatically.

terraflata
03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
I went with a single mass conversion and my chatter dropped down dramatically.

There was a thread about two days ago about this.

This is concerning Clutch Masters clutches, more specifically the 228 and 240mm FX400's.

228mm specs
1800 lbs clamping pressure
standard pressure plate cover
standard Iron pressure plate ring(disk area surface)
Pedal feel = stock to slightly softer then stock and stock engagement point.

240mm specs
2500 lbs clamping pressure (new updated S4 2.7t clutch)
Sach heavy duty pressure plate cover
Ductile iron pressure plate ring which has a much tighter grain which keeps it from cracking when over heated like the standard 228mm part
Pedal feel = slightly stiffer then stock to stock and slightly lower then stock engagement point.

228mm FX400 6 puck will hold around 405 ft lbs
240mm FX400 6 puck will hold around 675-700 ft lbs.
240mm FX300 kevlar will hold around 525-550 ft lbs

That there is the reason I had CM make the 240mm setup, the FX300 240mm setup will hold more power then the 228mm FX400 and gives those people that donít want a 6 puck a better option. These CM 240mm kits have been selling very well since they came out a few months ago, even been shipping them all over the world.

CM 228mm Steel flywheel = 15 lbs
CM 240mm Steel flywheel = 20 lbs

The 240mm flywheel will have zero gear rattle even with the AC turned on full, there will be a little bit of gear rattle with the 15 lbs flywheel.

And for you information the 228mm FX400 will set you back 945.00 while the 240MM 6-Puck with Steel Flywheel will set you back 1,185. I will be 2.0 planning on running an HTA3076 (But the new Precision Turbo that 034 is using in their Time Attack car might change all that!) and I am planning on going with the 240mm 6Puck and Steel Flywheel because I want somewhat stock driveability with the ability to handle tons of torque. I plan on getting stuck in traffic at some points.

dcampana
03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
nice post terra...

i personally have the CmFX400 6 puck, 16 lb billet fw... no chatter, unless ac is on. grabs fine as well.

Tifun
03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I did find with the lightweight setup I had previously that chatter was all the time. I'm now a believer that a lightweight isn't the best setup for our cars. My revs actually stay better as well.....

flynnr
03-29-2010, 10:35 PM
I did find with the lightweight setup I had previously that chatter was all the time. I'm now a believer that a lightweight isn't the best setup for our cars. My revs actually stay better as well.....

i would include more info before posting a statement like that... what clutch are you running? what fly are you running? how heavy? (assuming single mass)

i have the lightweight fly from ringer racing and i get no chatter... soooo maybe you went tooo light? or something? cause everyone else who is running my setup WITH a lightweight singlemass fly is having no problems...

just sayin

somebody5788
03-29-2010, 11:01 PM
I have strong feelings against LWFW's. My last car had that and a puck clutch and it was nothing but chatter and impossible to drive smooth. My Audi now w/ a stage 2 clutch feels 100% stock but grips just fine.

I will add though that it was a very light FW and a 3 puck clutch...........

Tifun
03-29-2010, 11:27 PM
i would include more info before posting a statement like that... what clutch are you running? what fly are you running? how heavy? (assuming single mass)

i have the lightweight fly from ringer racing and i get no chatter... soooo maybe you went tooo light? or something? cause everyone else who is running my setup WITH a lightweight singlemass fly is having no problems...

just sayin

I had a spec stg3+ I'm not sure of the weight exactly, I'll have to dig it out and measure. I needed something that wouldn't break under normal wear and tear being BT. So I went with SB stg3 this time around and couldn't be happier. I don't see how this is a big statement to make, every clutch will react differently, there are too many combination's available to say one companies will have less chatter than the next. It's all about combination. Clutch chatter is nothing more than the gears inside the tranny slapping due to the flywheel being to light. Basically the flywheel acts as a dampener and helps balance the engine and the tranny, so a more solid(heavy) wheel will certainly help with that situation. The other reason clutches chatter is because people don't know how to drive and are burning up their clutches by engaging them to slowly. If you drive your car on the street and you get chatter from your stg15+++ clutch....odds are you selected the wrong clutch and are trying to make something designed for a much more aggressive engagement more street friendly. I have a lot of opinions on this and went through hell with this last clutch.

flynnr
03-30-2010, 07:52 AM
I don't see how this is a big statement to make, every clutch will react differently, there are too many combination's available to say one companies will have less chatter than the next. It's all about combination.

Thats exactly proving my point... every company is different... so saying that every companies 'lightweight setup' will chatter isnt true... you just have to find a good combination, or happy medium so to speak where the fly is light enough to make a difference over stock, yet be heavy enough to not chatter and be impossible to drive.

im not saying you were wrong, because you are 100% correct givin YOUR previous setup chattered, but other peoples 'lightweight setup's' (like mine, from ClutchMasters) does not.

im assumin that your spec was about an 11 lb or so, or it could just be because it is aluminum instead of steal like mine is, but mine is also 15lbs (iirc) too so that difference right there could be what makes it not chatter

Tifun
03-30-2010, 09:53 AM
No, it's a steel one. But my point was that more combos than any other that chatter tend to be lightweight is my point.