PDA

View Full Version : Big oil leak!! Seeking Audi Guru!

Kyhai
03-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Greetings!

I was hoping someone has gone through the heartbreak of having some type of golden oil leaking from the wall separating the front diver side tire and the car engine.

It doesn't seem to be related to the oil cooler above the oil filter because there isn't oil leaking from there...

Is it possible it is the oil from the transmission [confused]

ftp://dfire@216.240.155.171/Members/Homer/33333.jpg

ftp://dfire@216.240.155.171/Members/Homer/22222.jpg

protocol_droid
03-24-2010, 08:29 PM
yer pics need a password kyhai

burner799
03-24-2010, 08:40 PM
yarrr, your pics dont work, but you might wanna check your fluid levels....thats a common spot for steering column leak.

Kyhai
03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm sorry, lol... User name "dfire" and password is "sharks" without the quotes

Kyle H
03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
check your fluids, one will probably be low....

walky_talky20
03-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Looks like a rack leak possibly. The 2 hose connections to the rack are pretty close to there, or it could be coming out of the rack end. Is the rack boot full of fluid?

Kyhai
03-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I squeezed on the rack boot and can hear air/fluid bubbly sound escaping. The boot is covered in oily fluid.

Are these two hoses related to the power steering? Cause I have been losing power steering fluid for a long time now and hasn't leaked this bad before.

mtroxel
03-25-2010, 06:29 AM
I still can't see your pics, but if there's fluid in the boot on the end of the rack, the rack's bad. Period.

And yes, there are two PS lines that connect to the rack on the driver's end. I had one of those go bad. Clean em up and see if they're leaking. If you have to do a rack and you have a leaky hose, you want to do them all at the same time. I'd say it's a half a day job.

Kyhai
03-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Thank-you for your guy's input!

It was the PS fluid leaking out. Hope to god it is not the rail nor the pump...

mtroxel
03-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Kyhai, you're going to wish it was the pump. It's the rack, and it's a pain.

Kyhai
03-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I found the problem, the return hose for the PS completely disintegrated, would this link be the best way to get to that hose?

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc-40.shtml

-or-

do I have to tear the bumper off like what it says in the manual?

Thanks in advance for your patients in answering my nooby questions.

zrowcool
03-25-2010, 10:46 AM
racks not that hard to change. just need a long ass extension and a wobble socket for the lines. took me like an hour and then had to get it aligned.

zrowcool
03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I found the problem, the return hose for the PS completely disintegrated, would this link be the best way to get to that hose?

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc-40.shtml

-or-

do I have to tear the bumper off like what it says in the manual?

Thanks in advance for your patients in answering my nooby questions.

that write up is perfect. you dont need to take it out completely if its just the line. i would unbolt it from the column, unbolt the two bolts from the top and then that should let you move it around a bit. then you can disconnect the line from the rack and replace it and bolt it back up.

2001A4QUATTRO
03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
If only your line is bad, how did fluid get inside your rack boot? Am I missing something?

Kyhai
03-25-2010, 07:08 PM
The whole section about 6 inches of the PS return hose was completely stripped of the rubber outside and the rough fibrous insides were exposed just above the rack boot. There is no doubt that some of the liquid ran into and all around the boot; it was a major leak. I will try to post a working picture once I grab the sucker out.

Kyhai
03-26-2010, 12:13 AM
I still can't see your pics, but if there's fluid in the boot on the end of the rack, the rack's bad. Period.

And yes, there are two PS lines that connect to the rack on the driver's end. I had one of those go bad. Clean em up and see if they're leaking. If you have to do a rack and you have a leaky hose, you want to do them all at the same time. I'd say it's a half a day job.

You were right it was the bad rack, liquid in the boot...

ECS Tuning-Audi
03-26-2010, 09:04 AM
You were right it was the bad rack, liquid in the boot...

Well at least you know the probelm. Do you have a Koyo or a ZF rack now?

Kyhai
03-26-2010, 10:04 AM
I actually got the original from the dealership, I needed a new one right away so I can get my ass back to work by Monday.

mtroxel
03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Ouch!! Just curious, what did the dealer charge you?

Kyhai
03-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Man... it cost 530...

By any chance you guys know how I can get the damn inner tie rod off? So I can put it on the new rack? PB is not cutting it...

mtroxel
03-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Kyhai,

Turn the steering wheel all the way to lock so the inner TR is all the way out. Then I've used a pipe wrench.....the kind plumbers use....I mean a BF pipe wrench. PB doesn't do much cause they're not rusted on. I think on one of mine I even got the pipe wrench on there good, then got a pipe on the end of it for more leverage.

If you don't like 530, look for reman ones. I think you're under $400 remaned. I put a used one on an A6 I fixed up and sold. $100 used.