PDA

View Full Version : i need to tow my a4 without a flatbed Quattro all 4 wheels down

guy022077
03-20-2010, 01:10 PM
i am running out of ways to fail at moving a car a few hundred miles (208). I understand why you cant have 2 wheels up and 2 wheels down. i dont get why i cant pull it with 4 wheels down in neutral? the worse case scenario is remove the drive shaft (search told me that would work) but i am not really able to do that because of mild injury, (so i want to avoid that) but why cant i pull it 4 wheels down?

i could pull the car with a dolley if i disconnect the rear drive shaft only..is there reason to think that would not work? but again i would rather not do that.

the manual says: you CAN tow with 2 wheels off the ground at a maximum of 30 miles an hour or up to 30 miles distance. Flatbedding is NOT required if you are just towing it around town. but im going a lot further than 30 miles

i have never owned quattro so i know nothing about the awd system.

so these are my options as i see it, but i am curious why i cant pull it with 4 wheels down?

thanks folks...if i succeed ill be an audi owner, if i fail i have to wait and borrow a flatbed from a friend of mine, not sure if the seller will keep waiting.

Seerlah
03-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Where have you seen a car being towed on 4 wheels[confused]. The car will need to be steered if on 4 wheels.

If you know a person with a 4x4, you can rent the trailer from Uhaul. They will rent to most SUVs, also, ecept for the Expedition (not sure what year), due to issues they had in the past of those SUVs rolling over with their car trailor.

You will mess up your rear diff if you intend to tow it on 2 wheels. If you remove the rear axles, then you can tow the car on the front wheels (rear wheels on ground).

walky_talky20
03-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Flat Towing:

http://www.rm944.com/weston/pics/TowBar1.jpg

http://www.rm944.com/weston/pics/TowBar2.jpg

From here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-autocross-track-racing/526640-flat-tow-924-a.html

onemoremile
03-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I've seen hundreds of flat tows behind motorhomes. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as long as you had a manual trans and it was in neutral. I'm not taking any responsibility if something goes wrong either though.

walky_talky20
03-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Yep, this method could possibly be used for a manual trans equipped quattro car, but definitely not a Tiptronic. I have to say, I've never seen it done with an Audi. I've always towed them with a dolly, and disconnect the driveshaft. It isn't too bad if you pull it on the dolly first, then put jack stands under the rear of the car. Gives you plenty of room. Here is my broken Audi undergoing this very procedure:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4448167995_58bc43b619_o_d.jpg

guy022077
03-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I've seen hundreds of flat tows behind motorhomes. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as long as you had a manual trans and it was in neutral. I'm not taking any responsibility if something goes wrong either though.

you mean i can't blame someone else for my actions? i thought this was america......

thanks...i figure if the car drives on 4 wheels how can towing it on 4 wheels be bad. the picture above is exactly how i planned to do it.

well im going ahead and trying it, if my next post is "dang turns out it didnt work" you'll know i failed again.

somebody5788
03-20-2010, 02:19 PM
you mean i can't blame someone else for my actions? i thought this was america......

thanks...i figure if the car drives on 4 wheels how can towing it on 4 wheels be bad. the picture above is exactly how i planned to do it.

well im going ahead and trying it, if my next post is "dang turns out it didnt work" you'll know i failed again.

This is exactly how I see it. People say to remove the drive shaft on RWD cars for long trips even. I don't see the point. If its manual then there is nothing special inside the transmissions except gears, synchros, bearings, and oil. Driving it in neutral is almost no different then it driving in gear.

quattro16
03-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Are you auto or manuel? If you are auto then you have to flatbed or full size trailer as you will fry the transmission. The engine needs to be running for the trans pump to lubricate everything. If the engine is off and you drive far in neutral the internals of the trans are not being lubricated and clutch packs will burn up.

guy022077
03-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Are you auto or manuel? If you are auto then you have to flatbed or full size trailer as you will fry the transmission. The engine needs to be running for the trans pump to lubricate everything. If the engine is off and you drive far in neutral the internals of the trans are not being lubricated and clutch packs will burn up.

i read something about that but it said that was the case for tip and auto....im towing a manual so i didnt think it mattered.

Lazer Viking
03-20-2010, 06:40 PM
id go with the flat towing option, get a tow bar like shown above, pull the bumper off and bolt it to the front frame horns.. just make sure the steering wheel is locked, and obviously pointing straight.

guy022077
03-20-2010, 06:44 PM
id go with the flat towing option, get a tow bar like shown above, pull the bumper off and bolt it to the front frame horns.. just make sure the steering wheel is locked, and obviously pointing straight.

locked? i was gonna have the key in it so the wheels would track correctly. well wish me luck...looks like tomorrow and or monday is gonna be a long day/night.

RoadRage
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
I towed my friends old jeep in a manner similar to those first two pictures. I think you'll be fine. Make sure it's in neutral, and you'll want to restrict the wheels from turning.

guy022077
03-27-2010, 08:10 AM
you'll all be happy to know i ended up just flat bedding it. but i am pretty sure it would have been fine but why risk it?

discontained
03-27-2010, 08:30 AM
you'll all be happy to know i ended up just flat bedding it. but i am pretty sure it would have been fine but why risk it?

better safe then sorry :)

good thing now is you have the car! Safe trip? if so congrats heh

somebody5788
03-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Um locked??? I don't think so..... the wheels will track properly on their own.