PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge solutions for the TT

4cefed4
01-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi,
My friend has a TT225Q, and we are going to spend a weekend tuning the car sometime mid-February. Are there any boost gauge solutions for the car besides the AWE vent mount? I check Autometer's site and they dont have any pillar pods. I have a steering column mount in my car, but with the full MFA and shorted column in the TTs, I dont think that would work. What do you guys have/suggest for someone looking to not spend what the mount from AWE costs?

ncttrnl
01-26-2005, 11:41 PM
The only A-pilar option right now is to buy a pod for another car and get it good and soft with a heat gun then mold it yourself. Thats what I did with mine.

I'm switching to a vent style pod and all you really need is the adapter ring. There is a guy from audiworld name Steve "TTschwing" Schwing that sells machined rings much cheaper than awe's setup.

Check him out at http://www.fotki.com/ttschwing

bkms1
01-27-2005, 09:21 AM
get a 60 mm booste gauge I use autometer then take apart one of the aircondition vents and you can use silicon as an adhesive. email me and i will send you pics

4cefed4
01-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the replies, and for the email bkms1. I sent TTShwing an email about his solution. Is 60mm just 2 5/8"? That's the size gauge I am using in my GTI.

4cefed4
01-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Well I think I'm going to pair an adapter ring from Steve with either a sport comp or carbon fiber 30 PSI boost gauge from autometer. Should look pretty nice.

I have one more question and maybe it's a stupid one... How does the gauge stay in place once you install it into the adapter ring? I have always used mounting cups, where the bracket clamps around the gauge to hold it in place.

4cefed4
02-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Anybody [confused]

ncttrnl
02-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Its actually friction fit. Some of them come with a rubber band you put around the back to hold it in place from behind. The rubber band gives it just enough extra diameter that it doesn't come out.

You can also use the same RTV/Silcone adhesive you use to secure the adapter to the vent rings to secure the gauge to the adapter.

Either way, it doesn't take very much to secure them.

4cefed4
02-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Friction fit always makes me nervous in the unfortunate situation of an accident. Thanks for the info, basically that's what I figured was going on.

ncttrnl
02-07-2005, 10:42 PM
FWIW I was in an accident and mine didnt budge at all in the a-pillar.

4cefed4
02-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. [:(] Thanks for the peace of mind about the gauge though.