PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard cluster not working?

phillyfan
02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Ok so I get in my car today and notice that the dashboard cluster isn't working at all basically. When I first turn the car on only a few icons light up and it doesnt read my gas/oil temp/battery volts/rpms/mph/time/mileage. I checked the fuses and they seem fine. I took it to an audi mechanic but ofcourse they wanna charge me $200 just to check it out. any ideas on what it might be to help me trouble shoot it. I was think maybe a ground wire.

blackhat
02-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Lights work but no gauges work? Could be the cluster itself.. I've seen clusters get fried or messed up in some cars and they just swap the cluster.. You could always goto a junk yard and get a cluster for dirt cheap out of a car.. however your mileage would never match.. which is illegal, but yeah!

phillyfan
02-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Yea possible only reason i thought that wast it is cause some of the lights on the dashboard work but who knows.

blackhat
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Usually if one gauge doesn't work like your Speed then yeah you check your speedo cable or something, but all your fuses are fine and all your gauges don't work. Its just strange.. maybe the connectors lose or something on the cluster? I've never taken out the cluster on the B5 so I donno.. Just throwing out ideas.

phillyfan
02-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Yea thanks will check that later, i sure hope its not since im looking to sell the car within the year and i cant with a used cluster :-(. I was quoted like 850 for a new cluster will have to do some research to see if i can get one cheaper.

blackhat
02-16-2010, 12:45 PM
People sell their clusters all the time for wicked cheap, like $40 shipped on VWVortex.com, people part out their cars.. Just... try to get one that has close mileage to what your vehicle has.. that way its not.. really super illegal. >_<