PDA

View Full Version : wheel dimensions and spacers help

RecklessDriver
01-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Hi again,

I have a TT V6 3.2 and I'm about to buy a set of 19" alloy wheels for it. My mechanical knowledge is almost zero, so I was looking for some advice here =)

- Do the 19" wheels fit on the TT without doing any modifications to the car? Or do should I go with the 18"?

- I checked some wheels on the net and the specs include a second value, for instance 19"x8.5, what does this 8.5 value stand for?

- What are the wheel "spacers" for? Do they just make the car look nicer or they have a special use?

Thanks!

Hutash
01-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Call Oscar at Tire Rack, he will dial you in.

But, yes 19" do fit if you get the right wheel tire combo.

the second number is the width of the rim

spacers fit the wheel to the hub properly.

RecklessDriver
01-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the explanation, I will call Oscar. I hope they ship overseas!

shifTT
01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by RecklessDriver
- Do the 19" wheels fit on the TT without doing any modifications to the car? Or do should I go with the 18"?

19s fit on the TT without modification. You just need to keep the overall diameter (wheel + tire) close to the same when moving up to a larger wheel. For 19x8 wheels you want to use 235/35R19 tires. For 18x8, 225/40R18. The larger the wheel, the lower profile the tire which means the harsher the ride as there is less flex in the tire sidewalls to absorb bumps. Keep that in mind when deciding.

- I checked some wheels on the net and the specs include a second value, for instance 19"x8.5, what does this 8.5 value stand for?

8.5 is the width of the wheel i.e. 8.5 inches.

- What are the wheel "spacers" for? Do they just make the car look nicer or they have a special use?

Wheels spacers are used to move the wheel farther away from the hub and closer to the fender. Mostly it's used for cosmetics but it's also used to gain clearance for large brake calipers found in big brake kits.

Another spec you'll run into when looking at wheels is offset. It's specified for examples as 18x8 ET35. The ET35 means this wheel has an offset of 35mm. Take a look at TireRack's wheel tech pages for more explanations:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/wheeltech.jsp

foofighter
01-24-2005, 08:00 PM
since you have a 3.2 depending on the center design of the wheel you might have problems clearing the rear calipers as well as the front. A lot of R32 owners have problems especially when they are trying to run a wheel w/ lip.

RecklessDriver
01-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Thank you shifTT, foofighter for your help. I am about to order a set of 19" OZ Superturismo GT wheels, but I want to see what are the Audi original alternatives.

shifTT, your TT has 18" 9-spokes Audi alloy wheels, right? Do you know a website where I can order those?

Thanks!

TheMuska00TT
01-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I have 19X8 on my 2000 TT it is a 1.8t but i have no clearence problems and i got them through wheelmax.com for 1200 rims and toyo proxi 4's

matt

shifTT
01-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by RecklessDriver
shifTT, your TT has 18" 9-spokes Audi alloy wheels, right? Do you know a website where I can order those?

Thanks!

The wheels I have are the OEM version that came on the 2002 ALMS TTs. You can order them from your Audi dealer. You can also get them from Clair Parts (http://www.clairparts.com/accessories4.asp?product_id=1965&PDID=180839). Replica RS4s will be much cheaper. You can get better quality ones from Hartmann Wheels (http://www.hartmannwheels.com/index.php?section=audi).