PDA

View Full Version : Upper Control Arm Angle?

snow19
01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Ok so i am getting a front end "re-fresh" so all new control arms, end links and HD tie rod ends. Now i have read but i forgot where that the upper control arms need to be at a certian angle or else they will pre maturly fail or the car may not be able to be aligned. If you guys could help me out that would be great!

dangerous_dave
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok so i am getting a front end "re-fresh" so all new control arms, end links and HD tie rod ends. Now i have read but i forgot where that the upper control arms need to be at a certian angle or else they will pre maturly fail or the car may not be able to be aligned. If you guys could help me out that would be great!

If you are at stock ride height you need to space the upper arms 47mm +/_ 2mm from the tip of the bracket. That is the official spec from Audi. If you are lowered I would space them closer. I'm going to look up what the spec for an S4 is and I will post that info up so people can get a better idea of what to set them at if you are at or lower than S4 height.

Just checked to see if the spec is different for sport A4 and S4 suspensions and the spec is the same. 47mm from the mounting bracket. That's 1.85 inches plus or minus an eight of an inch for those who don't believe in the metric system.

NorCal1.8T
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
damn i didnt know this i did mine the other day

B6T
01-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I set my car at ride height with the bolts loose, and then torqued all the bolts to spec. This is the procedure in the FSM.

Thi
01-28-2010, 09:23 PM
how were you able to torque the upper control arms with them on the car?

Mouse4
01-28-2010, 11:12 PM
That sounds like a tuff one [wrench]

Mawhitey
01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
I also do mine when the car is supporting its own weight usisng 16mm spanners to tighten the top ones. I suppose i could then remove the lot and use a torque wrench if i wanted.

I just jack under the bottom ball joint nut untill the car lifts and do it then

terraflata
01-29-2010, 01:07 PM
To tighten them with weight on the suspension, just keep the wheel off and support hub/upright with jackstand or whatever you feel like using.

snow19
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Just checked to see if the spec is different for sport A4 and S4 suspensions and the spec is the same. 47mm from the mounting bracket. That's 1.85 inches plus or minus an eight of an inch for those who don't believe in the metric system.

Ok but i am not sure about this mounting bracket. You mean were the upper control arms attach to the knuckle or were the control arms go up towards the strut. Is there anyway you could show me in a diagram?

t28sentra
01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
I did mine last month and used a floor jack to put the suspesion at status ride height. leave the wheel off the car and jack the suspension until the hub is where it normally sits loaded. My car is running neuspeed race spings and adjustable billys. No probs so far and car hasn't been realigned as of yet. Car tracks way better than before the arm replacement.

t28sentra
01-29-2010, 03:48 PM
make sure you spray the upper pin bolt with pb blaster a few days before you do it. also have a torch available because it's a bit## to remove....

BLK_A4
01-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok but i am not sure about this mounting bracket. You mean were the upper control arms attach to the knuckle or were the control arms go up towards the strut. Is there anyway you could show me in a diagram?

I would like to know this as well. Bump for an answer

dangerous_dave
02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I set my car at ride height with the bolts loose, and then torqued all the bolts to spec. This is the procedure in the FSM.

Its very difficult to get to the upper arms so the 47mm spec will make it not necessary to tighten them on the ground or with a jack pushing the wheel up to the ride height.

Your method is right but it's easy to do the bottom arms your way. Using the factory spec for the uppers will make it just that much easier for everyone.

I tighten all my control arms on an alignment rack so I'm a little spoiled.

B6T
02-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Come to think of it... I miiiiiiiiiight have eye-balled the upper arms and torqued them when everything was out of the car. Thanks for the reminder. :)