PDA

View Full Version : New Build - 3.0L GT28 Tip Content

Justin:NorCal
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
So my friend Roy dropped his Laser Red sedan off at 034 Motorsport yesterday for a 3.0L GT28rs build. His car IS a TIPTRONIC, that's right. 034 is confident they can make this thing rock. This will make it the fastest TIP in the country.

I will post up photos and info as Roy passes it along. He is not on AZ otherwise I would let him do it.

Rated S
01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Hope they can find a torque converter to hold all that power, they could always limit boost to 15psi [:D].

wdbdy2000s4
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
hopefully it works out. I've heard soo many horror stories of people trying to build big power tiptronics.

Rated S
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
hopefully it works out. I've heard soo many horror stories of people trying to build big power tiptronics.

Skydive comes to mind. And he was making a lot less power a 3.0L GT28 will be.

01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I think some new horizons are being explored. 700bhp shouldn't be an issue because muscle cars with automatics have made crazy power for years. There are a lot of automatic supras making 1000hp. The problem, and I hate having to say this, but we as an Audi community until only recently have been quite close minded in development.

wdbdy2000s4
01-26-2010, 12:55 PM
There is more to the equation then simply saying other trans have done it. My neighbor's GTO has been holding 730whp on a single disk clutch for quite a while, including track visits, I'd like to see an s4 hold that power on a single disk. Hopefully 034 makes the tip work.

I do agree the s4 crowd has been narrow minded. Even now people think the only swap possible is a VR6 and an LSx. Hopefully some new ground will be broken. At the end of the day if the tip breaks I'm sure he will have $2000 to switch in a 6 speed given the prices of a full 3.0 GT build.

01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
At the end of the day if the tip breaks I'm sure he will have $2000 to switch in a 6 speed given the prices of a full 3.0 GT build.

Yeah, and I have a feeling he will be ok. He is not the kind of guy to go to a strip and launch his car, etc. He is just a chill guy that if you cruise up to him on the highway at say 60 he is down for a pull.

quicksilver_S
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Id like to know the result as well. Id like to see how far we can push this tip tranny since I have one to deal with in case I need to upgrade/maintain

01-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Id like to know the result as well. Id like to see how far we can push this tip tranny since I have one to deal with in case I need to upgrade/maintain

I do know it is getting an entire overhaul. He is doing it all, transmission (full rebuild), 3.0L swap w/ GT28 and the odds and ends, brakes, suspension, etc. Should be a beast when it is done.

Raacerx
01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't see why it is an issue? Mercedes only offers their SL65 AMG twin turbo V12 in automatic. Torque converter and all. That being said, yeah, a torque converter is a torque converter; there isn't really any new technology on that front.

I think the issue will be, how smooth the transmission will shift. With a torque converter that has a seriously high torque capacity, like a clutch, I imagine it is going to have a fairly rough and sudden uptake; or its gonna wear out quite quickly if it partially unlocks to smooth things out. I think its pretty easy to make automatic transmissions that can chirp the wheels on shifts, but around town, I bet its going to be like the original Ferrari F1 or Toyota MR2 SMG transmissions.

The HP19FLA transmission is quite strong, and the torque converter is really the only weak part. It is essentially the same transmission found on the V12 7 series BMW and a Porsche 996 Twin Turbo, albeit in a slightly different configuration. ZF knows how to engineer, but they cost cut the torque converters. With a rebuild and a proper torque converter, I dont think a GT build will be a problem. Now, power brake launch that bad boy with R-compounds, and I imagine you might have some issues eventually, but otherstuff would probably break first.

01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
ow, power brake launch that bad boy with R-compounds, and I imagine you might have some issues eventually, but otherstuff would probably break first.
Yeah definitely not this guys style.

Raacerx
01-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Yeah definitely not this guys style.

I would tell him to seriously consider adapting the R32 wheel to fit. The paddle shifters can be wired up (its no plug and play, but its been done) to shift the tiptronic. Along with a GIAC tip chip and some new valvebodies, etc, that thing could shift pretty damn fast and it might actually help save the torque converter by allowing less slip/unlock during shifts.

Wonder if there is also a way to disable the throttle cut when braking. Would be awesome to get some left foot braking on the track. After I drove my first SMG, I was hooked on left foot braking.

01-26-2010, 01:48 PM
tip chip and some new valvebodies, etc, All that is being done :)

emenny81
01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Ok Im going to subscribe I have a tip and I started saving to do a manual swap, Ill wait till this is done.

audirs
01-26-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296498 part 2 comes to mind. they would need to work some serious magic on that tip tranny to make it work. would it better to swap in a better auto from another high hp car?

Das General
01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Why 28's if he is only going for 700bhp? It will would probably be cheaper to just convert to a 6 speed.... ya know, after he blows up his 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th auto. BTW, what is the fastest tip S4... can't be that fast.

awd2ks4
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Im curious to see how this trans handles those high boost/rpm shifts. keep us updated

01-26-2010, 07:20 PM
BTW, what is the fastest tip S4... can't be that fast.

^^^For the narrow minded it was 12.259 @ 118.25 that I know of and it was on Ko4s w/ heavy 19"s which are not ideal.

I bet you money Roy's car will have a very solid 60-130mph time. And I bet it could easily be in the 11s @ 130ish+

And most cars that blow up the tranny have only a Torque Converter.

I am sure 034 wouldn't put their name on a build they were not confident about.

MacDaddy
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd be glad if you can pull it off, but i doubt the forward clutch on our transmissions will be able to hold that much power, and even if it could the planetary gearset might not be able too.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_x6-ZV2czdq0/ShXWiBjdMCI/AAAAAAAA7tE/g1ouhEoj7yM/s640/P1080532.JPG
small ass forward clutch is the lower set.

revhards4
01-27-2010, 05:56 AM
The transmission is just not designed to handle that kind of torque. But I'm sure with 034's CNC machine and a little imagination anything can be made and accomplished.

01-27-2010, 02:33 PM
anything can be made and accomplished.

Those are the magic words. Where there is a will there is a way. Guruman for instance. He had a will to go fast in a 2.7, he had the means, he paved the way :)

wdbdy2000s4
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
idk about paving the way, Serabi was in the 10s on a full interior 2.7...but I know what you mean.

01-27-2010, 02:54 PM
idk about paving the way, Serabi was in the 10s on a full interior 2.7...but I know what you mean.
Was that here in the states. We have seen many more wild builds in Europe for years, but they are just in the last 2 years turning up in the public eye here in North America.

TweetsS4Estate
01-27-2010, 03:12 PM
serabi's car was the one used in the eurotuner gp in 2008 he ran 10.80s with mike hood driving it with a built 2.8L with asp gt28s.

S4_NE
01-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Justin,
is 034 doing the trans work? I have a well running stg 3 tip that puts down over 400 WTQ and that is with a built trans , when I was a stock trans it did not hold for long.
The clutch packs in the trans are pretty small so I am deff wondering how they will hold GT28 power, I wish them luck, subscribed

wdbdy2000s4
01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
David Sarabi owns eurocode in CA. His car was like 10.8 with Mike hood driving IIRC. Dom has taken the 3.0 farther then most though and his car had plenty more potential. A few years ago people thought the platform was done with k04s and now there are a bunch of people changing it up. I'm sure you guys will make something work and I look forward to results. I'd just make sure he doesn't pay a dollar for trans work until it is proven to actually work. Soo many people have been dicked out of $10k having their tips built to no avail by "reputable shops." I'm sure 034 will be good on their word, but I've seen soo many companies that are regarded as top quality put out shitty non-working cars and charged an arm and a leg to do it.

GunSupplier
01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
I'd just make sure he doesn't pay a dollar for trans work until it is proven to actually work. Soo many people have been dicked out of $10k having their tips built to no avail by "reputable shops." I'm sure 034 will be good on their word, but I've seen soo many companies that are regarded as top quality put out shitty non-working cars and charged an arm and a leg to do it.

QFT! I'm sure 034 won't dick around, but there are SO MANY Tiptronic horror stories and thousands upon thousands of dollars down the drain on builds that still ended up not working correctly. I'd hate to see it happen again. But we all know 034 is top-tier, so hopefully everything will be A-OK. [up]

DennisTheMenace
01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I think some new horizons are being explored. 700bhp shouldn't be an issue because muscle cars with automatics have made crazy power for years. There are a lot of automatic supras making 1000hp. The problem, and I hate having to say this, but we as an Audi community until only recently have been quite close minded in development.

That's because the use trans like th400's. Supra's arent making big power on the stock trans. MVP, Boost logic and other companies make kits for the oem transmission's, but they blow all the time and cant even hold 500whp reliably.

DennisTheMenace
01-27-2010, 03:48 PM
^^^For the narrow minded it was 12.259 @ 118.25 that I know of and it was on Ko4s w/ heavy 19"s which are not ideal.

I bet you money Roy's car will have a very solid 60-130mph time. And I bet it could easily be in the 11s @ 130ish+

Very bold statement.

GunSupplier
01-27-2010, 03:53 PM
That's because the use trans like th400's. Supra's arent making big power on the stock trans. MVP, Boost logic and other companies make kits for the oem transmission's, but they blow all the time and cant even hold 500whp reliably.

I never really understand this. Domestic auto trannies seem to be orders of magnitude superior to Euro autos (ZF being an example) in terms of holding big power. Why is that? Easier to build strong? Built stronger from the factory? For example, why are TH400s and Ford C4/C6s so easily built to be bulletproof? Simple design? Larger clutch packs?

wdbdy2000s4
01-27-2010, 04:20 PM
I never really understand this. Domestic auto trannies seem to be orders of magnitude superior to Euro autos (ZF being an example) in terms of holding big power. Why is that? Easier to build strong? Built stronger from the factory? For example, why are TH400s and Ford C4/C6s so easily built to be bulletproof? Simple design? Larger clutch packs?
The TH400 is a beefy ass 3 speed auto that originated back in the day with GM v8s and can hold more than 1500whp when built properly. It has bigger clutch packs and a lot of of different companies make upgrades.

DennisTheMenace
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
The TH400 is a beefy ass 3 speed auto that originated back in the day with GM v8s and can hold more than 1500whp when built properly. It has bigger clutch packs and a lot of of different companies make upgrades.

in the mid 60's with Cadillac and buick. A lot of R&D was done on the trans just because they were such a popular choice. All of GM's quicker car's had them and they were made strong to handle the instant torque that the muscle car's made. Your talking 30-40 years of research and development to get it where it is now.

MacDaddy
01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
the muscle car transmissions can handle the power because they have huge clutch packs because there is no ECU or TCU to cut engine power between shifts like on a ZF, therefor the only way to make a reliable automatic was to overbuild the hell out of it. It also helps that they have the same space to put in 4 gears where ZF has to install 5 or 6 gears.

anyone ever looked into a 3.2 setup in a B5? there is a A5 at work with the 3.2 and the engine looks (surprise surprise) the same as every other audi V6 out there with the exception of some extra gizmos on the cylinder head.
got me thinking about a 3.2 block with 2.8 heads and a GT kit.

FlaS4
01-28-2010, 08:44 AM
anyone ever looked into a 3.2 setup in a B5? there is a A5 at work with the 3.2 and the engine looks (surprise surprise) the same as every other audi V6 out there with the exception of some extra gizmos on the cylinder head.

I believe the 3.2 and 3.0 blocks in the A4's are aluminum and do not like boost very much. Our blocks are iron and virtually indestructable (the block itself) and you can run 35+ psi all day on it.

No company has really put much R&D into the TIP as there is a small market and is a waste to many tuning companies. And with the current built TIP trans being somewhat able to hold KO4 power there has really been no push to built something stronger than KO4 power.

But I think they will have to build a totally new and stronger trans with bigger clutch packs and build some TCU software to correspond to it. So they will have to build the trans from the ground up instead of trying to improve the current one.

TweetsS4Estate
01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
the muscle car transmissions can handle the power because they have huge clutch packs because there is no ECU or TCU to cut engine power between shifts like on a ZF, therefor the only way to make a reliable automatic was to overbuild the hell out of it. It also helps that they have the same space to put in 4 gears where ZF has to install 5 or 6 gears.

Thats not true. the new fad is using a 4L80E (practically a turbo400 trans with an over drive) and that from the factory is electronically controlled and it has the option to detune in between gears.

TweetsS4Estate
01-28-2010, 09:33 AM
The auto might be faster than a stick because it doesn't lose boost in between shifts (the load isn't released like on manual cars).. we might be in for a rude awakening.

Jason@Addict
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd be glad if you can pull it off, but i doubt the forward clutch on our transmissions will be able to hold that much power, and even if it could the planetary gearset might not be able too.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_x6-ZV2czdq0/ShXWiBjdMCI/AAAAAAAA7tE/g1ouhEoj7yM/s640/P1080532.JPG
small ass forward clutch is the lower set.

You're exactly right - the main issues is simply the size of the clutch packs themselves - which obviously is something that can't be easily modified. It actually is the high rpm/high horsepower shifts that are the problem more than the lower gear torque holding capability. So, the solution then becomes different clutch materials and higher clutch clamping force via line pressure and valve body modifications.

Here is a picture of the problem with that. This is from a car with stock power and is something that I've found broken on ALL the Tip's that I have rebuilt due to poor materials and design. The is the 'D' Center support - and is THE main failure point of the transmission - and manufacturing a new part would be VERY expensive.

http://www.addictmotorsport.com/tip_006.jpg

http://www.addictmotorsport.com/tip_008.jpg

I hope 034 has something figured out - they certainly have the resources.

S4-ORCE
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
I'd say do the build on a manual car, one can be found for less than 8K. Running a TIP you're gonna leave about 100HP on the table.

MacDaddy
01-29-2010, 03:08 AM
Thats not true. the new fad is using a 4L80E (practically a turbo400 trans with an over drive) and that from the factory is electronically controlled and it has the option to detune in between gears.

I know, the E stands for Electronic. but like i said, they have 4 gears in the space ZF puts 5 or 6, its still the same overbuilt transmission from the 60's, it just now has a valve body with solenoids to control shifting making it electronic.

MacDaddy
01-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Here is a picture of the problem with that. This is from a car with stock power and is something that I've found broken on ALL the Tip's that I have rebuilt due to poor materials and design. The is the 'D' Center support - and is THE main failure point of the transmission - and manufacturing a new part would be VERY expensive.

I know ZF released an updated D clutch housing to address that issue, which i plan on getting when i rebuild my transmission.

GunSupplier
01-29-2010, 03:25 PM
I'd say do the build on a manual car, one can be found for less than 8K. Running a TIP you're gonna leave about 100HP on the table.

I would say something harsh and funny like "GTFO!", but I'll restrain myself. [:p]

This thread is about a Tip build. I'm excited to see if 034 can make something work with the Tip.

What is this "100 horsepower" business. LOL! You really think the parasitic loss of the Tip compared to the 6-speed is 100 horsepower? Nah.

The auto might be faster than a stick because it doesn't lose boost in between shifts (the load isn't released like on manual cars).. we might be in for a rude awakening.

I doubt you 6-speed guys REALLY have to worry, but it's true about the Tip holding boost. If shifted manually in Tiptronic mode, it holds virtually full boost between shifts. My 3-4 shift at full boost is so seamless, it's nice. It just keeps pulling, no pause in urgency, and no drop out of boost. (it may be like a 2 psi drop off from 17, but that's no big deal).

Ofcourse, a skilled driver in a 6-speed will be able to hold boost between shifts as well, but consistency is another question.

Disclaimer: I'm not insulting any 6-speed guys, or trying to make it sound like the Tiptronic is the better transmission, just discussing, so don't flame me.

01-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not insulting any 6-speed guys, or trying to make it sound like the Tiptronic is the better transmission, just discussing, so don't flame me.

To funny [wrench]

GunSupplier
02-01-2010, 09:48 AM
To funny [wrench]

Bumping to remind you to keep us updated. [:D]

I'm quite interested in this build.

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/thumb/7/7a/Relevant.jpg/500px-Relevant.jpg

AddICTioN
02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Interested as well. Hoping 034 is successful..

FlaS4
02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I would love to see them add a 6th gear to it and be compatable with the 6-speed rear diff. Even though I believe 1st, 2nd, 4th and final gear ratios are the same between the TIP and manual.

Blue_S4
02-01-2010, 07:13 PM
It would be cool If they put an rs6 trans in

johnkent1212
02-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Can't wait for updates :) Subscribed!

johnkent1212
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
No updates for 2 days? haha

02-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I will get some pics from Roy if possible. Update yesterday is tranny was on crate and out for work.

I am sure someone at 034 can post an update.

emenny81
02-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Im anxious too, but lets see how much $$ its going to cost.

ColinGruenfeld
02-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Stage III tip owner - Subscribed here

Sales@RAI
02-06-2010, 02:07 AM
I would say something harsh and funny like "GTFO!", but I'll restrain myself. [:p]

This thread is about a Tip build. I'm excited to see if 034 can make something work with the Tip.

What is this "100 horsepower" business. LOL! You really think the parasitic loss of the Tip compared to the 6-speed is 100 horsepower? Nah.

I would say its a difference of <5%

chrisbostonusmc
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
It would be easier just to get a bellhousing adapter and drop a TH400 or somthing else like us Supra guys do.

GunSupplier
02-08-2010, 03:09 PM
It would be easier just to get a bellhousing adapter and drop a TH400 or somthing else like us Supra guys do.

What are the logistics with this? I'm assuming it's far from just a simple adapter + drop in.

And bump, so this thread stays up top for progress reports. [:D]

damnthemansam
02-09-2010, 09:24 PM
engine is built. turbos on. awaiting transmission.

dont ask me how i know these things.

emenny81
02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
engine is built. turbos on. awaiting transmission.

dont ask me how i know these things.

I'm wondering how much the tranny mod is going to cost!!!

emenny81
02-15-2010, 07:33 AM
bump

johnkent1212
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
bump to the front! :)

Reich
02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Are they going to build it in there shop? Or did they sent it to an other shop somewhere?

02-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Engine is done, transmission is in progress!! I will get pics this week.

damnthemansam
02-20-2010, 01:15 PM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l125/damnthemansam/143adb26.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l125/damnthemansam/62f9b3c6.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l125/damnthemansam/0fbb6908.jpg

biketsai
02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
I wonder who is doing the transmission work, or if 034 is outsourcing. A4GY in the A4 section sent his TIP to be built by IPT only to have it not working right after dumping thousands of dollars and time. I quit that whole tiptronic business and just swapped to a manual to save the hassle in the future. Good luck to your friend, hopefully he can make a break-through with his car paired with 034.

02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Im anxious too, but lets see how much $$ its going to cost.

Dude, a tip tranny build doesn't cost anymore than a STaSIS built tranny.

Given he is putting a 3.0L Eurospec block in the car, GT28rs, all the hardware, KW V3s, etc all at once I don't think cost is the issue. He is one of those guys that just wants it done. The problem is nobody in this community has been willing to spend the money to make it happen. Anything is possible with the right check.

02-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Guys, seriously Tiptronics are nothing more than a Torque Converter based automatic with a little computer crap thrown in. American cars have been making huge power on automatics for years. The problem is nobody has been willing to spend the money building the transmission, designing the ECU to work with it, and designing the TCU to work with it, being on high spool applications increasing the computer or speed of computer to keep up. It is possible, anything is given the determination and ability to fund the effort.

johnkent1212
02-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Pics of trans? :)

wdbdy2000s4
02-21-2010, 07:24 AM
I do agree anything is possible, but the reason american cars are making such high power on automatics is because they are generally four speeds in bigger housings so they have more room for beefier clutch packs and TCs. The major issue i have seen from the audi trans people is that they buy the standard IPT, level 10, or 517 upgrades and expect them to work when we know they won't. People are only unloading ungodly amounts of money because they do the same rebuild multiple times. It Sounds like everyone involved in this project is ready to spend some cake on new development for the tip and I hope it leads to some progression. Looking forward to results.

johnkent1212
02-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Bump for the transmission....

A62TURBO
02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I still would rather do the manual swap.

02-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Transmission is done, I will be stopping by 034 tomorrow since I am passing by. I will take pics of everything. From everything I have learned through my friend Roy the typical struggle in the past has been reprogramming the ECU and TCU together to work fast enough to keep up with the motor. When the car is done we will do some filming and probably do some pulls etc for everyone.

johnkent1212
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I still would rather do the manual swap.

Nobody cares...wrong thread for that :-P

MacDaddy
02-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm curious what exactly they are doing to this transmission out of personal interest, but i doubt anyone will say anything over fear of spilling the beans.

blackbenzz
02-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I've been waiting years for someone to do this. If it's done right and holds the power I bet it will be quicker than the stick S4's with similar builds. I've been saying this for years (did I mention that already? lol). Hopefully they upgraded to kevlar clutch packs and maybe tried to stuff an extra one in. Valve body mods for quicker shifts, beefed p torque converter with a higher stall and a trans cooler too. Maybe even machine or cryo treat certain weakpoints in the trans

Euro autos aren't strong? GTFO, benz has been building killer smooth transmissions that can hold over 800wtq from the factory! A stock turbo, stock block, stock trans CL65 just put down 708whp and over 800wtq. Those of yo that talk about TH400's, yes they can hold a shit ton of power but have you ever driven one? It feels lke shit compared to a MB trans. The gear shifts are harsh and you have to click em into gear. Not what euro car owners are used to.

GOOD LUCK with this bild and I look forward to the results. I must admit I was pretty disappointed when I saw the stock maniflolds on th emotor though :(

ColinGruenfeld
02-27-2010, 11:55 AM
GOOD LUCK with this bild and I look forward to the results. I must admit I was pretty disappointed when I saw the stock maniflolds on th emotor though :(

Exact same thought.... Built TIPs FTW!

TweetsS4Estate
02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
ehh I'm not so sure that the manifolds are really going to kill the performance. especially if they have been ported.. just my thoughts..

Mrsfourrings
02-28-2010, 08:31 AM
I believe level 10 is doing the trans build....the ONLY company that seems to have 0 issues when people send GOOD UNABUSED transmissions to get this kind of work done. Good luck with the build can't wait for a write up on power delivery and driveabilty!

FlaS4
02-28-2010, 10:53 AM
DETAILS!!!!!!!

I've been waiting years for someone to do this. If it's done right and holds the power I bet it will be quicker than the stick S4's with similar builds. I've been saying this for years (did I mention that already? lol). Hopefully they upgraded to kevlar clutch packs and maybe tried to stuff an extra one in. Valve body mods for quicker shifts, beefed p torque converter with a higher stall and a trans cooler too. Maybe even machine or cryo treat certain weakpoints in the trans

Euro autos aren't strong? GTFO, benz has been building killer smooth transmissions that can hold over 800wtq from the factory! A stock turbo, stock block, stock trans CL65 just put down 708whp and over 800wtq. Those of yo that talk about TH400's, yes they can hold a shit ton of power but have you ever driven one? It feels lke shit compared to a MB trans. The gear shifts are harsh and you have to click em into gear. Not what euro car owners are used to.

American turbotrans have been holding massive amounts of power for decades and run very fast times in the 1/4. Many 1000whp+ supras are autos amoungst many other fast cars. Would love for someone to figure a good RELIABLE solution.

blackbenzz
02-28-2010, 11:20 AM
American turbotrans have been holding massive amounts of power for decades and run very fast times in the 1/4. Many 1000whp+ supras are autos amoungst many other fast cars. Would love for someone to figure a good RELIABLE solution.

Yes I am fully aware of this. I just wouldnt want a TH400 trans in a daily driver unless it was like a 8sec car. An auto turbo car will be quicker and more consistant than a manual.

MacDaddy
02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
the S4's reliability issues with the transmission stem from its "lifetime" fluid.

BLK01S4
03-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Why 28's if he is only going for 700bhp? It will would probably be cheaper to just convert to a 6 speed.... ya know, after he blows up his 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th auto. BTW, what is the fastest tip S4... can't be that fast.

I still hold the record ;) http://www.s4biturbo.com/timeslips.php .. Search for BLACK01S4

BLK01S4
03-01-2010, 03:05 AM

Actually my my Volks are 2 lbs lighter then stock :)

BLK01S4
03-01-2010, 03:15 AM
I believe level 10 is doing the trans build....the ONLY company that seems to have 0 issues when people send GOOD UNABUSED transmissions to get this kind of work done. Good luck with the build can't wait for a write up on power delivery and driveabilty!

thats a joke right?

chrisbostonusmc
03-03-2010, 05:27 AM
I wish they would reveal details, my guess just like and earlier post suggested was upgraded valve bodies, high stall TC, but i have my thoughts that there is some custom machine work or prototype internals done in the trans that noone has since the customer has spent so much $$$...

I cant wait to post my Supra build thread...hahahaha I've been in Japan for a year..imagine what ive aquired!

johnkent1212
03-04-2010, 06:25 AM
thats a joke right?

I was thinking the same thing but wanted to bite my tongue.

SeattleS4
03-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Guys, seriously Tiptronics are nothing more than a Torque Converter based automatic with a little computer crap thrown in. American cars have been making huge power on automatics for years. The problem is nobody has been willing to spend the money building the transmission, designing the ECU to work with it, and designing the TCU to work with it, being on high spool applications increasing the computer or speed of computer to keep up. It is possible, anything is given the determination and ability to fund the effort.

All true and very well said.

Hopefully, some day, the owner of this car puts down some awesome track and dyno numbers. But, it sounds like he isn't going to beat on the car and start breaking stuff any time soon. The trans build and it's durability will be very interesting to read about.

If I had basically unlimited financial resources, and some more mechanical knowledge, I'd ask Jason at AMD if he'd like to do a built auto trans S4...3.0L, GT28, 4L80e, and 3000 stall would be just right. [:D]

I'd much rather have a built auto trans S4 than my manual S4.

Best of luck to those involved in this project. [cool]

emenny81
03-06-2010, 07:20 AM
All true and very well said.

Hopefully, some day, the owner of this car puts down some awesome track and dyno numbers. But, it sounds like he isn't going to beat on the car and start breaking stuff any time soon. The trans build and it's durability will be very interesting to read about.

If I had basically unlimited financial resources, and some more mechanical knowledge, I'd ask Jason at AMD if he'd like to do a built auto trans S4...3.0L, GT28, 4L80e, and 3000 stall would be just right. [:D]
I'd much rather have a built auto trans S4 than my manual S4.

Best of luck to those involved in this project. [cool]

we have to keep in mind that the build has to cost less than a 6 speed swap, from my calculations a 6 speed swap will cost about 3500 parts and everything. with that said it'll be really nice to keep it below that number anything above that I would just do a swap, less things to worry about in the future.

Blue_S4
03-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Updates?

Mrsfourrings
03-12-2010, 10:13 AM
thats a joke right?
Actually no. A close friend of mine has a Dahlback powered RS6 that had level 10 do a full trans build. This was done almost 4.5yrs ago at about 38,000mi. At that point the car dyno'd 484whp and 576wtq, it has been daily driven, taken to the track and still performs flawlessly oh btw the car has 78,000mi on it currently.......

Blue_S4
03-13-2010, 07:45 AM
That's great but a 3.0l gt car will make much more power than that rs6 is

SleeperAvant
03-13-2010, 08:18 AM
I wish OP luck on this build. I'm doing a T3/T04E 50 trim build on a b6 tiptronic.

mrpeterparker
03-13-2010, 09:08 AM
subscribed

blackbenzz
03-13-2010, 11:35 AM
That's great but a 3.0l gt car will make much more power than that rs6 is

Torque breaks transmissions. How much more torque do you think a 3L GT car will make?

TweetsS4Estate
03-13-2010, 07:28 PM
not as much as your supercharged v8 ;)

FlaS4
03-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Enough of this chit-chat shit, I want details!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue_S4
03-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Torque breaks transmissions. How much more torque do you think a 3L GT car will make?

This is true. However enough hp and the clutch packs will never hold unless it's built really well. I'm sure it will still make a significant amount of tq but it depends on what the owner wants from it. It will be very capable but sounds like he will tune it kindof conservatively

but yes Justin or 034 jump in update us!

blackbenzz
03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
not as much as your supercharged v8 ;)

Haha, my car doesn't make that much torque. Something like 600wtq by 2500rpm according to one dyno dynamics but I don't put any stock in dynos. The V12 biturbo MB's make crazy torque!

This is true. However enough hp and the clutch packs will never hold unless it's built really well. I'm sure it will still make a significant amount of tq but it depends on what the owner wants from it. It will be very capable but sounds like he will tune it kindof conservatively

but yes Justin or 034 jump in update us!
Are you saying an auto's clutch packs won't hold at high horsepower? Of course it has to be built well, anything that isn't bult well will break. Tuned v12 biturbo MB's have made over 700whp with stock turbos, stock block, and stock trans. And yes they are auto. The modified MB trans I'm running has been shown to hold over 1000whp and 1000wtq. If you build it right, it will hold and I bet the same setup in an auto would be quicker than the stick in the 1/4

03-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Roy should be passing on videos, dynos, etc to me soon. I will also be riding in it soon. 034 started it Thursday for the first time. The car is alive. It will take them a little while to do all the custom tuning for the ECU and TCU.

johnkent1212
03-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Roy should be passing on videos, dynos, etc to me soon. I will also be riding in it soon. 034 started it Thursday for the first time. The car is alive. It will take them a little while to do all the custom tuning for the ECU and TCU.

Awesome! Will he be able to include specifics as to the trans so it can help the other tips out there?

FlaS4
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Does the ECU and TCU tuning rely on each other for the trans and engine to keep up and be in synch? Also is the ECU and TCU stand alone or just a flash? Any details on what is being done to the trans is terms of any mechanical things or just valve bodies, beefy TC and upgraded clucth packs?

MacDaddy
03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
they communicate with each other yes, to what degree i am not totally sure, but i know power output of the engine is decreased between shifts.

FlaS4
03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
they communicate with each other yes

Ya I know that. I meant are they specifically programmed for eachother or are they tuned for the engine and trans independently and I can take either one and put it in my S4.

MacDaddy
03-20-2010, 02:40 AM
well it would make sense the TCU would be made to suit the engine's tune. Look at the stage 3 tips with a stock TCU, they hunt gears unless you re-tune your TCU because the engines are making a significant amount of power more than stock.

johnkent1212
03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Uppppppdates?

03-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Will be there this week with Roy checking out the car. Will take photos and update.

A4GY
04-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Hmm please update asap before I sell my 2.0 GT35R A4 tiptronic I have been messing with for 2 years!

johnkent1212
04-02-2010, 08:46 PM
???????????

GunSupplier
04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Will be there this week with Roy checking out the car. Will take photos and update.

...... [:D]

Reich
04-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Any updates? I really want to see a good n fast tip car. That would help to sell mine.[>_<] Anyway once it's done and in good shape, i believe tip cars can be fast. Immagine accelerate, boosting without lifting throtle.

04-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Wagner Engineering ICs came in, KW V3 came in. Its getting buttoned up and tuning begins this week.

mrpeterparker
04-05-2010, 07:29 AM
do it to it!!!

lukeag25
04-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm stoked to see the results! I don't regret swapping to a manual but, I do miss the TIP! I loved running through the gears without having to lift my foot.

TWiST
04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Ive been wondering for quite some time about the TIP and someone coming up with a good way to strengthen it, I would love to get a manual as a second car but I drive like 100 miles round trip everyday for work so sitting in traffic in a manual is not something I want to do very much.

GunSupplier
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Wagner Engineering ICs came in, KW V3 came in. Its getting buttoned up and tuning begins this week.

Updates or ban. [:D]

04-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Updates or ban. [:D]

It is buttoned up from my understanding and they are working on tuning. I will try to get an update.

A4GY
04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Would like to compare transmission. Mine is finished and back in my garage. Anyone in denver wanna take video of it lol b5 a4 tip with gt35r 2.0l setup

04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Talked to Roy today. They were custom fabbing a serious single 3.5" exhaust from downpipes before tuning begins to eliminate some restrictions.

Das General
04-13-2010, 10:30 PM
How serious?

washyourrhands
04-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Talked to Roy today. They were custom fabbing a serious single 3.5" exhaust from downpipes before tuning begins to eliminate some restrictions.

saw the exhaust today...looks too sick

im getting one...if anyone else is intrested in them PM me

johnkent1212
04-15-2010, 05:31 AM
How can we be interested without pics? I know one thing is that I'm interested in the trans.

Matador
04-16-2010, 10:25 AM
How can we be interested without pics? I know one thing is that I'm interested in the trans.

Indeed. I'm wondering if anyone's ever considered contacting one of the dozens of shops that makes billlet torque converters for domestic cars?

Blue_S4
04-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Is it bad I have held off my 6spd swap to see what they do to the trans and what it costs?

johnkent1212
04-17-2010, 07:53 AM
It's bad if they never finish the trans

Blue_S4
05-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Not again? Hope this thing works!

johnkent1212
05-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah ummmm updates????

junglerc
05-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Has anybody looked into a 6HPxx tranny swap? The have double the torque rating from the factory than the 5HP19

Mrsfourrings
05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Any pics or updates??? I am very curious....

GunSupplier
05-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Updates! [:D]

Indeed. I'm wondering if anyone's ever considered contacting one of the dozens of shops that makes billlet torque converters for domestic cars?

Not sure if people have. I'm sure someone has at some point. From my understanding, it's not the torque converter that ends up being the weak point, it's the clutch packs in the transmission itself.

A4 TSCHUSS
05-13-2010, 07:54 PM

I am really late to this, but I wanted to state that David Sarabi's car didn't run a 10 second pass until they stripped out all the seats and took the whole exhaust off the car at that Eurotuner GP event. Mike had a real low 11 (might have been 11.0) I forget, but like I said, they did a bunch of stuff before that 10 second pass came.

johnkent1212
05-14-2010, 06:15 AM
No updates usually means problems.

Don Supreme
05-14-2010, 06:48 AM

yup

blackbenzz
05-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winnAr!!!

06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Ding ding ding!!! We have a winnAr!!!

No problems, he had a lot of parts that were backordered etc that needed to arrive before it could run. Then when the car was initially turned over they found a small oil leak and a wastegate rod problem. Now all that is fixed. Break in dyno today. Only 10psi made just over 350whp. They are pulling it off and driving it for two days to check shifting, etc. Then back on dyno and upping boost.

S4SD
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Should be interesting to see when/if the tranny blows up

johnkent1212
06-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Details on the trans? Pics?

TWiST
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Lots of us are extremely curious about the tranny on this car can we get some info on that or are you still running it semi stock until it explodes

06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Lots of us are extremely curious about the tranny on this car can we get some info on that or are you still running it semi stock until it explodes

Will have more info today when I see the car in person. Both the owner and I haven't seen the car since it was dropped off in February. There is nothing left stock in the transmission other than the housing.

TWiST
06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Awesome thanks for the update bro, I have a TIP myself and learning more about what was done with the tranny would be spectacular!

06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Details on the trans? Pics?

Will take some today. Details will be fully released when the project is successful.

Best part is this car will look like a stock motor from above to the untrained eye and will pass CA smog. :)

MacDaddy
06-15-2010, 04:11 PM
any more pictures?

TWiST
06-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I just wanna know whats going on with the tranny

S4Rs
06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Having a tip car in the process of going stage 3, I read this entire thread about the sick tip build. Four pages later and all I have been able to discern is that something is being done to a tip tranny and its gonna be sweet. Not exactly informative.

No information has been offered about who is actually performing the tranny work or what work exactly is being planned. These are the details I believe everybody has been following this thread for. I hope the Owner paying for the mods has receieved better info than what has been provided here. And even if it isn't successful the first go around, valuable lessons may be learned by the failed mods or similar mods can be attempted by others as testing is ongoing for a greater sample group.

Help us out.

06-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Having a tip car in the process of going stage 3, I read this entire thread about the sick tip build. Four pages later and all I have been able to discern is that something is being done to a tip tranny and its gonna be sweet. Not exactly informative.

No information has been offered about who is actually performing the tranny work or what work exactly is being planned. These are the details I believe everybody has been following this thread for. I hope the Owner paying for the mods has receieved better info than what has been provided here. And even if it isn't successful the first go around, valuable lessons may be learned by the failed mods or similar mods can be attempted by others as testing is ongoing for a greater sample group.

Help us out.

Car is going on the dyno again tomorrow now that it has been broken in (brand new 3.0L block w/ 2.8 heads) and the power is being turned up. He is going to get it to 450whp or so then drive it for a few weeks before taking it back to turn it up again. Not much is being said until we are sure things are ok. What we have learned so far is that transmissions can be built to take the power, the problem with the transmissions blowing up is usually more related to the extremely slow TCU baud rate which is not adequate when your engine is flying through the revs so fast (ie high boost).

MacDaddy
06-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Help us out.

I totally agree with you, but i can see their side aswell, whatever they end up doing with the transmission they will probably keep to themselves so that other transmission guys can't read here and copy their ideas.

if you ask me, short of 034 CNCing steel drums so that the tranny can handle being shocked and to accommodate extra frictions and steels, the transmission is probably going to start slipping pretty quick. or maybe they just adapted a 5hp30 from a B6

A4GY
06-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Hope everything works out with the transmission. Had mine built three times before I got it right. Those of you looking for a good place to build you transmission check out http://www.detroittransmissionspecialists.com/ nothing on their website but Kirk was able to rebuild my transmission i had IPT originaly build and it works GREAT. My only problem now is that he can only get the stall on my converter up to 3200 and I need it closer to 5000 to be able to get the car off the line. I am working with Milt at www.gopnh.com on getting a higher stall converter now.

Please let us know details on the transmission set up asap!

johnkent1212
06-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Pics of car and details of trans? Info on the engine and tuning is great but I think the majority of us are here because this car is a tip.

Trigger Happy
06-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Pics of car and details of trans? Info on the engine and tuning is great but I think the majority of us are here because this car is a tip.

I think they understand that and it seems kind of unnecessary to keep asking this question. Not specifically picking on you, but just saying.

johnkent1212
06-24-2010, 06:15 AM
I think they understand that and it seems kind of unnecessary to keep asking this question. Not specifically picking on you, but just saying.

Apparently not. We're all waiting for updates but all we hear is tuning news, engine news. If the trans is done and in the car, why not give the details? We're all big boys, so I wouldn't care if you were picking on me.

TWiST
07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
So ummm yah, how bout that tranny ? No not the one Eddie Murphy picked up :)

S4_NE
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
/\ LOL

GunSupplier
09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Hope everything works out with the transmission. Had mine built three times before I got it right. Those of you looking for a good place to build you transmission check out http://www.detroittransmissionspecialists.com/ nothing on their website but Kirk was able to rebuild my transmission i had IPT originaly build and it works GREAT. My only problem now is that he can only get the stall on my converter up to 3200 and I need it closer to 5000 to be able to get the car off the line. I am working with Milt at www.gopnh.com on getting a higher stall converter now.

Any more info about this? I've never seen either of those companies referenced with regard to 5HP19FLA converters. What went wrong with your IPT build?

Not addressing your post, but just a general comment/rant:

I'm kind of ticked off that so many companies seem to dick around with the converter/transmission build. Threads like this are great to see development in the Tip world, and I was super excited to see this project, but the complete lack of details and other information regarding the actual transmission build is troubling. I don't plan on blowing through piles of cash trying to find a transmission shop by trial and error that can make the Tiptronic hold PJK04 power. It still amazes me with the wealth of knowledge about these cars in every respect, that there still appears to be some sort of "mystery" surrounding the Tiptronic.

VAST's release of torque converters was a breath of fresh air for me back in the day. VAST is probably the most trustworthy, no-BS S4 shop around. Their guarantee of durability on the converter was just icing on the cake, but now that they've stopped producing it, I fear the return of the "dark ages" of Tiptronic development.

If just one transmission shop had an advertiser account here, gave some details (without revealing trade secrets, obviously) and could vouch for their product like VAST did, I think MANY of the Tip guys would be all over it. So much info out there about clutches and flywheels, but not nearly the equivalent amount of info for the Tip (other than the few threads compiling lists of still running Stage 3 Tip cars)

By no means am I discrediting seemingly strong transmission builds like 517s/3zero3s, etc, but I just wish shops would be a tiny bit more forthcoming with the details.

/rant

A4GY
10-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Any more info about this? I've never seen either of those companies referenced with regard to 5HP19FLA converters. What went wrong with your IPT build?

Not addressing your post, but just a general comment/rant:

I'm kind of ticked off that so many companies seem to dick around with the converter/transmission build. Threads like this are great to see development in the Tip world, and I was super excited to see this project, but the complete lack of details and other information regarding the actual transmission build is troubling. I don't plan on blowing through piles of cash trying to find a transmission shop by trial and error that can make the Tiptronic hold PJK04 power. It still amazes me with the wealth of knowledge about these cars in every respect, that there still appears to be some sort of "mystery" surrounding the Tiptronic.

VAST's release of torque converters was a breath of fresh air for me back in the day. VAST is probably the most trustworthy, no-BS S4 shop around. Their guarantee of durability on the converter was just icing on the cake, but now that they've stopped producing it, I fear the return of the "dark ages" of Tiptronic development.

If just one transmission shop had an advertiser account here, gave some details (without revealing trade secrets, obviously) and could vouch for their product like VAST did, I think MANY of the Tip guys would be all over it. So much info out there about clutches and flywheels, but not nearly the equivalent amount of info for the Tip (other than the few threads compiling lists of still running Stage 3 Tip cars)

By no means am I discrediting seemingly strong transmission builds like 517s/3zero3s, etc, but I just wish shops would be a tiny bit more forthcoming with the details.

/rant

here is everything about my car and build

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/285605-My-little-1998-A4-2.0L-GT35R-built-TIPTRONIC

mrpeterparker
10-06-2010, 07:50 AM
update... or did this end up being fail

GunSupplier
10-07-2010, 09:11 PM
here is everything about my car and build

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/285605-My-little-1998-A4-2.0L-GT35R-built-TIPTRONIC

Nice.

So, I'm a little confused from that thread. In your mod list it says that 3zero3 built the transmission, but then there are tons of references to IPT in the thread. *Edit* Reading the thread now, horror story from IPT.

And yes, more updates to this thread. Did the car disintegrate? Dominate?

johnkent1212
10-08-2010, 06:52 AM
If there is no update this project is dead. Justin:NorCal why post and no follow through? Even if it's an epic fail it'd prevent me from wasting my time and checking back in hopes someone made a breakthrough on TIPs :-P

Blue_S4
10-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Fail for sure. Months and no update. Either that or the project never really started since we never got details

A4GY
10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Nice.

So, I'm a little confused from that thread. In your mod list it says that 3zero3 built the transmission, but then there are tons of references to IPT in the thread. *Edit* Reading the thread now, horror story from IPT.

And yes, more updates to this thread. Did the car disintegrate? Dominate?

yeah IPT messed up my transmission but I had it rebuilt a third time by detroit transmission specialist and it works great now! dynoed 372hp to the wheels and is holding just fine for the last 10k miles.

Cole
09-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Curious what happened to this build?

BenjaminR
09-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Looks like he was going to end up with an expensive 3L GT28 build making less than E85 KO4 power because he didn't want to drive a manual...

RJQuick
01-24-2015, 11:14 AM
The car has ran fine for over four years. I've been working with 034 on tuning the TCU properly. This has been the sticking point over the years and I've had a couple of different TCU tunes, however 034 has done a great job tuning the TCU this past year and now it's holding 23psi of boost between shifts and doesn't slip. I'm currently upgrading my exhaust manifolds, and exhaust valves in the heads. I will post some footage of the car once I get it put back together. I'm not a big fan of dyno numbers because they can be skewed depending on the calibration of the dyno. That being said the best it's posted so far is 388whp/405tq (2-3yrs ago). Since that dyno I've put in meth, larger injectors and i'm adding the upgraded exhaust manifolds (they were stock up until this week) and some intake changes. There is still more room in tuning the TCU to allow more power, however at this point the TCU tuning is in uncharted territory and i'm going to take a small break at this point.

TruTwin
02-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Interesting project... how much paper you drop to get it this far?