PDA

View Full Version : questions/advice please...

jmgraham78
01-20-2010, 08:31 PM
No I am a NOOB. Not to these kind of forums, just audi in general. I joined a couple days ago to do as much research as I can on a 97 1.8tQ I am considering picking up.

General set up: (at least this is what I am being told)
**Complete S4 suspension and wheels and brakes (new brakes, just done 2K miles ago)
**New stock turbo, turbo lines, and hoses
**Brand new coil packs (all 4)
**Aparently the car has a dual intercooler setup now, I could not spot the second one while looking at it, and I know they are super inefficient in this car.
**According to current owner the car is chipped, again I did not verify. Based on some posts the easiest way to tell is simply pull the ECU cover and I should see something more than stock.
**Brand new stock clutch less than 3000 miles ago.

On to a couple questions if I may...

1. I drove the car the other day and I know max torque is around 22-2500 RPM, and coming from a 1.6L civic I did not feel near the pull I anticipated with the audi, especially if it is chipped, and has a 2nd intercooler. Should I really be able to feel a noticable difference? Nothing tossed my ass back in the seat...

2. The car has 172K on it as it sits and the price is 4500. No misfires or anything of the sort, so do I really need to test the compression?

3. For those of you with experience in these cars and based on the above mentionings, can I get some advice/suggestions if some of you all were in my shoes?

I appreciate the time/knowledge and replies in advance,

J [race]

dangerous_dave
01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
The turbo doesn't even spool at 2200 rpm. Max torque is at 5500. Wind the shit out of 3rd gear and you will feel it.

dangerous_dave
01-20-2010, 08:45 PM
4500 is too rich for my blood.

JEmm
01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
I'd skip that one.

First of all: S4 suspension wouldn't help you at all. If anything it would make your car higher in the front because the springs are made for a heavier front end.

Second: I can't imagine he has 2 working intercoolers. So that means either a. He's lying. And obviously you don't want to deal with people that lie about a car they are selling because if he's lying about that, who knows what else he is lying about. b. he does have a second intercooler but doesn't have it hooked up to anything, which makes him a moron. or c. he really does have a dual intercooler set up, but that doesn't help you at all and therefore was a waste of money and is just working for him to charge you more money.

Third: High price for that mileage/year.

Fourth: He should have mentioned the timing belt... So he probably doesn't realize how important it is to replace it, or he never did it. Which would mean it probably hasn't been done in awhile. And if you couldn't verify for sure when it was last done, you would need to do it yourself which is an extra 250 if you do it yourself, or more if you have it done somewhere.

All in all, I'd pass and look for something on here with lower miles and preferably 99.5 or newer.

a4mafia(Red)
01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
price is wayyyyy tooo highhhh!! i paid 4500 for my audi 2.5 years ago with 148000 miles on it and it was in almost perfect condition aside from the front bumper having some road chips in it

The turbo doesn't even spool at 2200 rpm. Max torque is at 5500. Wind the shit out of 3rd gear and you will feel it.

Torque 155 @ 1750 RPM

as says kelly blue book....just sayinn Kelly Blue Book(Clicky) (http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Specifications/1998_Audi_A4_6160_Private%20Party_Good.aspx?Select ionHistory=6160|32294|45140|0|0|234957|true|234973 |true|234940|true|234957|true|234973|true|234940|t rue&SelectedTabIndex=1&Mileage=172000)

jmgraham78
01-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys for the thoughts and suggestions!

I have found out the following since my OG post.

Timing belt, H2o pump, and all other belts were done in the last 4500 miles.

I stand corrected in regards to the S4 suspension. The RIMS are S4 rims and the suspension is a full blown Bilstein suspension (shocks/springs).

Since I am in the Seattle area, I did look on this forum but have not found anything via this forum for sale, unless I missed something completely.

If anyone would like to give more input at this point I again would be appreciative,

J [race]

terraflata
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM

I stand corrected in regards to the S4 suspension. The RIMS are S4 rims and the suspension is a full blown Bilstein suspension (shocks/springs).

Since I am in the Seattle area, I did look on this forum but have not found anything via this forum for sale, unless I missed something completely.

If anyone would like to give more input at this point I again would be appreciative,

J [race]

2nd Intercooler still doesn't make sense. But the price is just too high.
I bought my 97 about a year and a half ago. Timing belt was changed and I had full service records for the car, they came with 18x8 mags (the name escapes me, I never mounted them) and stock rims. The brakes were changed a month before. The only rust visible was a little spot on the fender. And I paid 4000 for it, not up front but 400/month for 10 months. It was chipped with GIAC and had KW Variant 1 on it. Mileage was the same.

Extras I recieved, 2 extra pairs of tailights, brand new clutch in box, OG suspension, OG radio and speakers, etc.

I think he might be over-evaluating his car.

To me this was a good deal, but there are even better deals.

Kyle H
01-21-2010, 12:01 PM

WHAT?! I make 20psi at like 3k. 5250 is where the torque and hp should intersect on a dyno due to the equation:

hp = (torque *rpm)/5250

and by 5500rpm my k03 has pretty much dropped down to 10psi, it doesn't flow enough for big boost up there.

edit-
as for the car, I'd go for it. Expect to fix the abs module soon, and be prepared to change control arms, cv joints (axles, really), brakes, and do a full fluid flush when you get it.

terraflata
01-21-2010, 03:19 PM
edit-
as for the car, I'd go for it. Expect to fix the abs module soon, and be prepared to change control arms, cv joints (axles, really), brakes, and do a full fluid flush when you get it.

X2

JEmm
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM

J [race]

That makes it a much better deal. But honestly, I would still pass on it as is and wait for something cheaper and with less miles to come along. Or just bargain him down to closer to the 3750-4000 range. I think that's a much better deal for the car. Also, right before you try to bargain, ask about the "dual intercooler set up" and see what he says.