PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Trunk.....

witwer4444
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey guys

Ever since I bought my car 14 months ago the trunk (lift gate - sedan) has been very hard to lift and close. My buddys 99 1.8t had a great light trunk that lifted by itself as soon as you pushed in the trunk button, however, mine has always been heavy.

So, after finally ordering new trunk struts yesterday from Autozone, I figured that those would do the trick as the old ones were starting to rust on the outside.

I installed them today and the trunk is even heavier. I think I'll give them a few opens/closes to break in the struts but I still think that the new struts havent solved the problem.

Do you just recommend lubing all of the joints? And just with WD-40? Or is there something I am missing? I would like to open my trunk without having to floor clean it, and I'm guessing some of you guys have had or still have the same problem, so help a fellow member out.

TIA guys

lotusgardener
01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Your hinges might be bent.

pearlescent
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
I would imagine that brand new struts would still have an immediate improvement. The hinges themselves are pretty complex compared to other sedans, maybe something is bent, and you've just always been used to it...

dangerous_dave
01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
His hinges are not bent. They need to be lubed or replaced. The struts are not the issue. Put a tn of pb blaster on the hinges and work it back and forth if they don't free up you have to replace them.

witwer4444
01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
His hinges are not bent. They need to be lubed or replaced. The struts are not the issue. Put a tn of pb blaster on the hinges and work it back and forth if they don't free up you have to replace them.

Im going to go ahead and do this tomorrow.

And as far as hinge replacement goes, New or Used?

Thanks for the quick help guys

somebody5788
01-20-2010, 05:35 PM
I know for a fact I saw rust on the hinges and told you you should lube them up a little before replacing them!

witwer4444
01-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I know for a fact I saw rust on the hinges and told you you should lube them up a little before replacing them!

I honestly dont remember that Nic.

But you're probably right hahahaha [up]

h4robkr123
01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
With the PB, spray it on and let it sit for a while to clean out all the rust and contaminants between the pieces. After you have let it sit for a while try to move it around if you still feel a little bit of pressure, spray the hinges again then do what Dave said and work it around. Try this a few times if it doesn't work the first time, just to be sure its not rust and it definitely is the hinges. Good luck!

soundspeedstyle
01-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Same boat bro... my trunk takes like 90lbs of resistance to open the sucker.. then gotta like jump up n push to close that thing...

I got no rust and nothing looks bent in mine at all. I was about to do what you did with the struts, but appearently thats not the problem so idk what the issue it either.

I got some grease and wd-40 stuff I was just gonna coat everything with it lol. LMK how yours turns out.

dangerous_dave
01-20-2010, 07:48 PM
The struts merely keep it from slamming shut or flying open. The hinge is what hinders movement. If you buy new ones you have to paint them. Used ones come painted but then you have to find the same color and you could run into the same issue because they are old and ,well.......used.

soundspeedstyle
01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
got ya... I think I might take the hinges off and try to lube them up cuz i dont feel like wasting money... I work out i can handle the heavy trunk :) more money in the engine:P

dangerous_dave
01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Be careful when you separate the trunk from the hinge. Put some thick towels on your rear glass incase you slip and hit the glass with the corner.

soundspeedstyle
01-20-2010, 08:57 PM
appreciate the tip lol that'd suck!

seagull
01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
My trunk is heavy as well.... but I like it that way. It feels like a good, solid piece. [>_<] Get over it.

dangerous_dave
01-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Yeah, get over it until the hinge breaks and the trunk closes crooked and shatters the glass because that's what can happen. I've seen it happen.

terraflata
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, get over it until the hinge breaks and the trunk closes crooked and shatters the glass because that's what can happen. I've seen it happen.

Wouldnt it be possible to just overhaul the hinges. Take them off sand them down, paint them, and lube the bitches up) If he has to paint new ones already might as well save the cost of buying them and shipping

dangerous_dave
01-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Anything is possible

somebody5788
01-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Me too haha.