PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket headunit install on Bose system questions

Euromike
01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
I have searched around, and couldn't seem to find a definative answer on the issues with powering Bose speakers with a headunit. So, first of all,
this is my setup.

Jensen in dash tv or pioneer single din, havnt decided.
2 12's on a powered amp in the back.

Now, I think that with the Bose system, you need to use the rca's to connect the speakers to the unit right? Because they are amped? Is this all the speakers or just rear deck? But the issue is I need a 2 channel output to power the subs too. And I believe the headunit only has 2 RCA outputs. Plus the 4 speaker outputs by regular copper wires.

So help me out guys, how do I make this install work? What harness do I need? Will my one from my non bose car work?

soundspeedstyle
01-17-2010, 08:23 AM
replace it all :>

SILVER A6 2.7T
01-17-2010, 08:31 AM
i have a a6 with bose and i out in an aftermarket head unit yes you can use the rca's thats what i did but you need 3 jacks on your head unit. front,rear, and subwoofer. but if you dont have the cash to get somthing new that has the right amout of jacks you could just splice the wires. find out which wires are going from the speakers to the amp. cut them at the amp and then splice them together. or since you only have to jacks on your head unit you prob could just hook up the front speakers and your subs and it would still sound good. hope this helps. also if you just go to best buy or an audio shop they should carry your harness's there and also your dash kit.

keeganhartman
01-17-2010, 08:36 AM
You could just run a y cable on the rcas. Dedicate two outputs on the headunit for the y cables the will supply your speakers with signal. The other two will be for the subwoofer. what you lose with this is your fade option with the speakers.

soundspeedstyle
01-17-2010, 08:43 AM
You could just run a y cable on the rcas. Dedicate two outputs on the headunit for the y cables the will supply your speakers with signal. The other two will be for the subwoofer. what you lose with this is your fade option with the speakers.
do it this way if you don't want to buy new stuff...

I hate bose though, worst speakers I have ever had in my car. I say wait untill you get new speakers and buy a single amp for them. Thats what I'm doing just waiting till my boost needs are met :)

Insomniac
01-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I hate bose though, worst speakers I have ever had in my car.

Really? I know mine doesn't have any bass, but they still sound crisp when I crank it.

Euromike
01-17-2010, 08:57 AM
So, y adapter to front and rear speakers and other set of outs to the subs. Sounds good! So none of the speakers are wired? It's all thru those rca's? Easy install!

And I was kinda excited cause my old car didn't have Bose and my neW one does. So they sound bad?

soundspeedstyle
01-17-2010, 09:01 AM
One of my subs crapped out so i disconnected it, others are in good shape but I'm a caraudio nerd.... I got 3 subwoofers in my room and 2 amps in my garage... I just sold the 3 subs and an amp a couple months ago cuz im not using all of it lol...

Bose blows compared to 80watt speakers all the way around rainbow over bose all day everyday!

back to the topic.. go with the Y cable if you like the bose... BUT I personally am going to replace it all. Also, if you have enough bass I would remove the bose subs from the rear deck and just leave it empty, haven't looked but if it goes straight though to the trunk its money. ported trunk :P

CORRECTION: bose isn't bad... better than ford stock speakers... I like my speakers clear and loud... bose isnt the worst ever it just doenst compare to rainbow and other aftermarket speakers. I build my own set-ups and am always happy with them, Bose runs off 2ohms and that right there is a failure... I aim for 80+watts but the new 115watt rainbows have been getting my attention more and more, might go with them instead....

To give you guys an idea i have an amp that is capable of 5000watts+ @.5ohms stable all day long. IA 40.1 it goes as well as 1500watts rms at 4ohms. I also have an 18in sub 4000watt rms at. I'm kinda picky :)

walky_talky20
01-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Santorian, this is the adapter you need:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2007/120/p120701787-f.jpeg

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701787/Audi-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

There are 4 discreet RCA jacks that plug into your aftermarket head unit. If you use Y-splitters, you will lose fade (front/rear) control. This is the adapter I use and it works great.

Shhmaudi
01-17-2010, 11:01 AM
To give you guys an idea i have an amp that is capable of 5000watts+ @.5ohms stable all day long. IA 40.1 it goes as well as 1500watts rms at 4ohms. I also have an 18in sub 4000watt rms at. I'm kinda picky :)

Ima car audio enthusiast too.. Thats alotta boom for a lil audi.. I feel bad for your trunk and all the bolts that have to hold it together[o_o].. I used to bea base nut in high school.. 3 12's all runnin at half ohms in a bandpass wired to a fat amp.. However, refined audio is my cup of tea now.. Clear crisp kidney punching bass followed by the vocals to match it[up] bingo[cool]

To the OP if your gonna run only a sub to that amp get a Class D wayyy more efficient than that AB 2channel![up]

soundspeedstyle
01-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Ima car audio enthusiast too.. Thats alotta boom for a lil audi.. I feel bad for your trunk and all the bolts that have to hold it together[o_o].. I used to bea base nut in high school.. 3 12's all runnin at half ohms in a bandpass wired to a fat amp.. However, refined audio is my cup of tea now.. Clear crisp kidney punching bass followed by the vocals to match it[up] bingo[cool]

To the OP if your gonna run only a sub to that amp get a Class D wayyy more efficient than that AB 2channel![up]
nonono that goes in the trailblazer ss :)

Fi BL 12 goes in the audi.. 1500watts on 4 ohms, audio orgasm!

Euromike
01-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys.

I guess im not looking for amazing quality, but is it going to sound better than my other b5 with regular speakers?

and whats up with the 2 ohm buisness? is my headunit going to blow the speakers?

soundspeedstyle
01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
no your fine... The headunit runs to the amp and the amp puts out the ohm load..

forget i said it. It wont affect it I was just stating that for other reasons