PDA

View Full Version : dome light delima

ThatA4T
01-14-2010, 10:58 PM
i have a 98 a4 1.8TQ and i have had issues with my dome lights and map lights since i bought the car... at first the driver side map light button would stick in and it would take multiple times of pressing it to turn the light off. then one day my dome light would not go off after i turned my car off...(yes i tried switching it off) haha i ended up pulling the fuse to get it off. but after a week or so of not having map lights, dome light, horn honk when i lock my car and lights flash when i lock/unlock my car, i decided to put the fuse back in. it then worked perfectly with no problems other than the sticky button for a few months. then one day the button on my side got really stuck and i ended up hitting the light a few times in frustration. the bulb fell out of the driver side map light and when i tried to put it back in it immediately blew the fuse. now, even with the map light bulbs out every time i try to put in a new fuse it blows it right away. does anyone know where i need to start to fix this TIA[wrench]

ThatA4T
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Bump

Coopa
01-15-2010, 05:42 PM
The dome light comes out super easy. Lense off, 2 screws, gently pull it out and unplug the connection. Once you have the dome light assembly out you'll see how everything is put together. I think the way the switches were made isn't the best. You can easily tweak/fudge/finangle the switches to work better pretty simple. I would assume that you're blown fuses are a result of some connection problem in the dome light assembly.

ThatA4T
01-15-2010, 06:33 PM
The dome light comes out super easy. Lense off, 2 screws, gently pull it out and unplug the connection. Once you have the dome light assembly out you'll see how everything is put together. I think the way the switches were made isn't the best. You can easily tweak/fudge/finangle the switches to work better pretty simple. I would assume that you're blown fuses are a result of some connection problem in the dome light assembly.

Thank you! and ive actually had it all arart before but i didnt wanna tweak anything too much without knowing... ill take a better look again tomorrow and see what i can figure out

Seerlah
01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I would source out a used assembly and splice (solder) it in. I am thinking of doing this myself, because the sunroof button does not always register. I know I can just open up the dial and lift the metal contact pins up a bit, but I can't get that damn torx screw off.

suju82
01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm going to jump on your thread instead of starting a new one as i'm having dome light issues too. about a year and a half ago my central locking pump went out and i replaced it with a used one that my friend had and that one went out a few months later as well and i ended up buying a used one on ebay. The problem i'm having is since my pump went out and i replaced it (both the second one and the one i have now) my dome light doesn't work in the door open position. It turns fine when i slide the button to manual on position but for whatever reason they don't go on when the doors are opened or the car is unlocked or whatever like they use to before. What kind of stuff can i check for? Fuse is fine as far as i know.

ThatA4T
01-16-2010, 10:49 PM
ah man this dome light issue has been hell since the day i bought the car lol i think i will just buy a new one and splice it in

Coopa
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't think you should have to do any splicing for it. Dome lights just plug in don't they? You could souce a domelight from a part out car and just plug it in.