PDA

View Full Version : p0171 help

grillhands
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I've been getting this code on and off. It will stay off for about 2 days then turn on and stay on for about 3 days. This is pretty much the cycle. I cleaned the MAF and replaced all the old vacuum hoses. I've checked all the check valves and replaced the 3 way suction jet pump. When i do a boost leak check i can hear a noise coming from the back of the head but i don't see any hoses back there. I had a few friends take a look at it but they couldn't identify where the sound was coming from either. I tried spraying soapy water to get bubbles but that didn't work and tried blowing smoke but didnt see anything as well. If anyone has any helpful hints please chime in.

McGovs2.7TB5
01-12-2010, 11:23 AM
had the same cycle with mine. Cleaning the MAF didnt really help me but I haven't seen the code since I replaced the MAF with a new one.

grillhands
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
had the same cycle with mine. Cleaning the MAF didnt really help me but I haven't seen the code since I replaced the MAF with a new one.

I guess im gonna bite the bullet and get a new one.

grillhands
01-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Here's an update: After searching for a an hour or so, i stumbled upon a thread that said to check the SAI pump to make sure it's not cracked or split. This morning in 20*F, i've decided to take a look where the the pump is located. To my surprise, the injection tube that connects to the air box was not connected! I'm assuming this is my my major vacuum leak. I've connected it back and hopefully the code goes away. I pretty sure this was the problem because when i did the boost check i got no leaks and i wouldn't have noticed it because the TIP has to come off to do the test.