PDA

View Full Version : Pesky Valve cover oil leak

Puckstr
01-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Engine is a 2.8 30v. I have a pesky oil leak from I believe to be the valve cover (bank2 driver side). The leak appears to be from the rear lower corner of the valve cover. I have replaced the gasket with one from FCP but I still have oil on the exhaust flange below and aft of spark plug #6. I cannot see it leaking but after I shut off the engine and it sits for an hour the flange is wet with a thin coat of oil. I never smell it until I get the RPMs over 3000 when the manifold gets hot enough to cook it off. The cam seal doesn’t seem to be leaking.

I am wondering what the cause could be:

1. bad FCP gasket
2. block pressure too high
3. somewhere else the oil is leaking from

Any help is appreciated[hail]

protocol_droid
01-12-2010, 07:19 AM
any small hairline cracks in the valve cover or just below on the head?

Puckstr
01-12-2010, 07:24 AM
any small hairline cracks in the valve cover or just below on the head?

I will have to check. That is going to be hard to see, the area is (of course) the tightest area on the head.

come to think of it it felt wet under the rear most valve cover nut (on the head).
I will pull the cover again tonight and sop up the pooled oil in the head to see deeper on the top of the head (best description I can come up with).

Are cracks like that common?

jeffp477
01-12-2010, 07:45 AM
did you put a little rtv sealant in it? cam tensioner seal? have you replaced it? and sometimes pressure of the engine, if you search thread you'll find something about the breathable oil cap, it is blue instead of stock black.. it is around $38.00 purems, and ecs has it..

Puckstr
01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
did you put a little rtv sealant in it? cam tensioner seal? have you replaced it? and sometimes pressure of the engine, if you search thread you'll find something about the breathable oil cap, it is blue instead of stock black.. it is around $38.00 purems, and ecs has it..

Yes on rtv (blue)
No on cam tensioner seal (front of head all dry)
oil cap is black and very old

Kurt Koseck
01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
You may want to check the plastic valve cover vent line. Mine was all clogged up with what looked like coffee grounds. Purchase a new one before you take the old one apart. The plastic on mine was very brittle and broke into many pieces.

Puckstr
01-12-2010, 08:57 AM
You may want to check the plastic valve cover vent line. Mine was all clogged up with what looked like coffee grounds. Purchase a new one before you take the old one apart. The plastic on mine was very brittle and broke into many pieces.

sounds just like my car. Mine was cruddy and brittle. I did a quickie fix and ran a 5/8" hose untill the factory replacement arrives. I have also ordered an upgrade oil cap.

protocol_droid
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
what does the breatheable oil cap do for you?

Puckstr
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
what does the breatheable oil cap do for you?

I assume there was a Audi upgrade on the oil caps to vent excessive block pressure.

Maybe someone elses has more information.

Puckstr
01-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Well good news no cracks and I feel the valve cover gasket is sound.
But It looks like something is missing....is there suppose to be a cover over the rear left cam plug? I can see bolt holes in the block and I felt the other 3 cams had caps over the plugs.
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/puckstr_denver/cap2.jpg?t=1263355331
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/puckstr_denver/leak.jpg?t=1263355513

2001A4QUATTRO
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Holy RTV overload! That is WAAY to much RTV! That seems to be coming from the corner, not the cam cap. Good luck!

toddstebleton
01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Holy RTV overload! That is WAAY to much RTV! That seems to be coming from the corner, not the cam cap. Good luck!

Is that really rtv sealant. Yikes!
Good luck on the oil leak, this area of the engine/valve cover is very prone to leaks.

Puckstr
01-17-2010, 08:22 PM
leaks with or without rtv

Puckstr
01-18-2010, 06:56 AM
got an oem valve cover gasket. I will try again with the (yeah I know) proper ammount of RTV

Puckstr
01-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Oil Leak GONE!!! Woo Hoo all dry on the driver's side Valve cover and cam plug.
Leak was gone as soon as I replaced the oil cap. I went ahead and replaced the PCV&hose assembly, suction pump and passenger side valve cover gasket.

I gotta tell ya there is a BIG differenct in quality between the OEM gaskets and the Cheap-O brand. BIG DIFFERENCE.

oldskoolaudi
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I had a supposed good tech work on mine(same problem). Replaced cam chain tensioner and valve cover gasket. Within months it was leaking again. I had a complete engine reseal done. Every gasket was replaced but one. You should have the crankcase valve checked to make sure it's not clogged and everything everybody else said. The first guy who did it, did everything pretty ok except he didn't clean the old gasket surfaces up. The second tech cleaned everything thoroughly and it's been completely dry ever since.