PDA

View Full Version : hello all! think i am a new B5 a4 owner

vdubjetta02
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
back round on me

-drove a slammed MKIV jetta with audi RS6 wheels for 4 years.
- now own a stage 3 wrx
- found a 98' a4 turbo, manual for $4,000 tonight.

i think i am going to buy it as a project car.... i am planning on keeping my wrx as well until this car atleast has suspension and wheels, then i will sell my subaru and pocket the cash.... just wanted to say hello, i will be searching this site vigorously to find nice moddified B5 a4's

my old jetta.... also owned a 2005 Audi S4 for a while before the subaru

you might like this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atwJNINlTuo

http://i45.tinypic.com/netdsi.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/25ktn5u.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2nu3jnp.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/293ht9e.jpg

i cant seem to find 18x8 or 18x8.5 et 35 Rs6 wheels anymore?

viceprp
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Welcome and post some pictures.

Seerlah
01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Welcome to Audizine. Do know that the 1.8T A4 is not that fun untill you throw some money into it, but I am sure you already expected that. It's going to take some money to get power close to the stg 3 status on the wrx. With that being said, happy wrenching[wrench].

18x8 et 35 will rub if you throw on some beefy tires. But et35 is one of the most liked offsets. I would actually look into an 18x8.5-9 wheel, for a more flush look (personal preferance).

DonnieDark0
01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
pics!!!! plz. oh yea, goodluck with it, i love a4's.

Kyle H
01-11-2010, 07:14 PM
welcome to the world of bulletproof transmissions [;)]

The best advice I can give you on the new car is to do everything right the first time... If you need any parts, check out:
www.ringer-racing.com
www.034motorsport.com
www.purems.com
www.qedpower.com

They're all very cool guys, and will all respond to your emails and any questions you have.

NeedingAnAudi
01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
i love a4's.

No shit? haha sorry I had to

ThatA4T
01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
No shit? haha sorry I had to

haha i thought the same thing [:D]

vdubjetta02
01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
pics are up

vdubjetta02
01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
- here are my plans and you guys can help?

-find how to or where to buy clear corners for the headlights?
- trying to find either 18x8 ET35 or 18x8.5 et 35 Audi RS6 replica wheels or older RS4 replica wheels?
- going to do coilovers (h&r most likely)
- and i guess a turboback & probably ko4 w/ high flow mani

ThatA4T
01-11-2010, 09:22 PM
whats your power goal...? most people are going to say that a ko4 will not get you much... look into an eliminator setup

vdubjetta02
01-11-2010, 09:36 PM
whats your power goal...? most people are going to say that a ko4 will not get you much... look into an eliminator setup

i have a great audi mechanic who gives me 50% off labor and he said the ATP turbo kits dont fit right and they take quite a bit of work to fit..... but anyways i am at 5,000 Feet (you are too?) and my stage 3 wrx doesnt hit full boost till 4200 RPMS and thats not a fun DD.... my k04 jetta was a BLAST for a DD with how early it spooled.... so i know it wont be a race car, but i think a k04 with bigger injectors will be good for my dd

anybody make a full downpipe besides techtonics and APR?

on my jetta i had a 3" 42dd downpipe

ADNpro
01-11-2010, 09:37 PM
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Audi-Wheels/By-Size/18-Audi-Wheels/tc304324-2-1//page/1/checkForLanding/true

check them for the wheels.

Kyle H
01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I hate to be a downer but that's not a b5 a4! You'll get better help in the b6 a4 section [:)]. Also check out www.jhmotorsports.com

Whoops, just realized that was an old pic, rofl. Duhhhh..... Anyways, welcome to the b5 a4 world.

Kyle H
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
i have a great audi mechanic who gives me 50% off labor and he said the ATP turbo kits dont fit right and they take quite a bit of work to fit..... but anyways i am at 5,000 Feet (you are too?) and my stage 3 wrx doesnt hit full boost till 4200 RPMS and thats not a fun DD.... my k04 jetta was a BLAST for a DD with how early it spooled.... so i know it wont be a race car, but i think a k04 with bigger injectors will be good for my dd

anybody make a full downpipe besides techtonics and APR?

on my jetta i had a 3" 42dd downpipe

Look into a k04 pc16 setup... 380cc injectors, fmic, adjustable fpr, and a giac tune. The techtonics tuning hfc will look stock enough to pass emmissions in co.... I'd go with a tt Borla 2.5" exhaust to finish it off. That'd be a quick spooling setup with a strong midrange. You'll also want a clutch (clutchmasters fx400 6pucks are great), and some strong drivetrain mounts.

Seerlah
01-12-2010, 03:59 AM
- here are my plans and you guys can help?

-find how to or where to buy clear corners for the headlights?
- trying to find either 18x8 ET35 or 18x8.5 et 35 Audi RS6 replica wheels or older RS4 replica wheels?
- going to do coilovers (h&r most likely)
- and i guess a turboback & probably ko4 w/ high flow mani

-I would actually upgrade to one-peice Ecode headlights. It will have a much better look. There is some modification that is included, which will be cutting a peice of the fender to make them fit and splicing in a connector from the facelift headlampd. Add in an HID kit and you are good to go, in that department.

http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/index.php?cPath=2_27_109

-There are various vendors whom have OEM replicas. I would look into the Hartmann 18x8.5 ET30 RS6 wheels. They may be more pricey than other reps, but quality is top notch.

http://shop.achtuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=579&Page=1

-Coilovers are a preferance thing. But stay away from V-Maxx.

-A custom exhaust system can be had for $500 installed tops from a reputable exhaust shop. I would make the piping mandrel bend with 2.5" piping, if you don't plan on going for big horse power. And customise it as you want (ie what muffler you want, what resonator, if you want 2 resonators, high flow catalyctic converter, etc). The more things you add, the pricier it gets. And seeing how you said you wanted a turbo back exhaust, and not a cat back exhaust, I assume you want to get rid of the catalyctic converter. If that's the case, it would be much easier to purchase a test pipe and have a custom exhaust made from there back.

Onto the turbo situation, don't waste your time with the k04, unless you buy all used parts. The cost does not equal the benefit. But the eliminator is a different case. There may be slight fitment issues (ATP is known for that), but you can make it work. But really, look into the eliminator kits. You are looking at a k04 which will grant you no more than 245chp, while the eliminators can get you to around 400chp with supporting mods (that is around the limit for the stock engine). After that, you would need to move onto doing engine internal work. But as mentioned above, the transmissions are bulletproof (depending). People have put down more than 500whp (don't know how much torque) on the stock transmission. The auto/tip trannies are not so tough.

vdubjetta02
01-12-2010, 07:01 AM
i come from the "glass tranny" that wrx's have.... STI trannys are bulletproof unfortunetly wrx's can only run 300 WHP before they give.... and my wrx is 300 WHP...

if i buy this today it needs coilovers and wheels asap....stock B5 a4's just dont look that great

flynnr
01-12-2010, 07:20 AM
...stock B5 a4's just dont look that great

true! get some konis or h&r or bilstein coilovers and some rims/ tires and youll be good to go! check the classifieds section on there, there might be someone within driving distance to you and get a great deal over buying new.... either that or craigslist is always a good resource for cheap shiat

i love hearing people come over to the b5a4 from other makes :) idk why but it makes my day! ha

oh and tint your a4 when you get it too... IMO thats a biggee too

you can EASILY do the clearcorner yourself, as long as you have the 1 piece headlights and some BASIC tools you will be fine... took me 1 hour total (minus dry time for the silicon)

i had rs4 reps on my other a4 and loved them... drastically improved the look!

before:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/flynnr1/0616081529.jpg
after:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/flynnr1/CIMG0713-1.jpg

yes, same car!

dcampana
01-12-2010, 08:28 AM
WELCOME back to the world of Audi!!! hahaha

on the turbo side of things. I had some fitment issues with the stock manifold on the 2871 elim. however, its well worth it. went from the ko4, and the ko4 in my opinion was a waste of cash. look at the gtrs set up, can pass emissions and would be so much more pleasant to drive than the ko4 car. It will also fit NO PROBLEM. There is a VAST difference fromt he Ko4 and the gtrs, i am not sure how full boost would be but should be much better than your current.
from this link:http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113728
Turbo Options
This is meant to be a short guide to turbo upgrades. There is a ton of info around here and other forums. Please make sure you use the search for additional info on the type of upgrade you're looking at prior to making a hasty decision.

Some highly recommended parts to get before upgrading your turbo are pretty much all the things that you have just read in this. so get those first as there are certain steps and and order to things.

K04
The ko4 that you want is the ko4-15. Basic bolt in upgrade. No special required parts unless going for the pc-16, J31, or Hammer files from GIAC. Do not pay more than $800 for a K04 alone. They can be found on any of the various Audi forums for less. GIAC makes a very good program for it. $1300 and an install later you can be rolling with 200whp. When looking you will need the K04-15. do not bother on doing a ko4 for your 2001 A4 if you are not going with the Hammer file. the 2001 model year has the ko3s(sport) so there for the GIAC-X chip with the ko3s will only be slightly less powered than the ko4 on basic GIAC programming. for knowing what you need for these setups contact GIAC directly. as it will be easier than me typing it all out. KineticMotorsport has them for a good price usually

PC-16 - 1997-1999.5 model years~usually runs in the 20-25psi range
j31 - 2000~usually runs in the 25-28psi range
Hammer - 2001 and 2001.5~i think usually runs in the 20psi range

GT2X Eliminator
Bolt in upgrade. Slightly larger than the K04. Good for 220Awhp. Most people use the Mika tuning from ATP, others use modified K04 software. it is only oil cooled unlike the other eliminators

GTRS Eliminator
Bolt in upgrade. Much larger than the stock K03. Produces roughly 350chp. Mika tuning or Unitronic for the B5.

GT2871R Eliminator
Bolt in upgrade. $95 more than the GT28RS elim. good for 400chp. Mika or Unitronic for the B5.

Note: For the eliminators, I highly recommend a braided oil return line. The stock oil return will work, but it's a pain to get in. Unitronics for software, but also Mika tuning offered by ATP can be a good software. but FWIW not off the shelf. it requires tweaks to get things running right. some have run tweaked ko4 software with success on this big of a turbo. ATP and Renn-Art are the best places to get the eliminator products. Renn-Art has a proven kit.

APR Stage 3/Stage 3+ kits
APR has a stage three kit with everything you need to get your BT up and running. they have their stg3 GT28r kit for 1997-2000. and their stg3+ GT28RS kit for 2001s. both are very respectable and worry free kits that a lot of people love. APR's website for more info

Full GT28RS
Requires ATP or custom exhaust manifold, custom downpipe, and custom intake. Approx 400chp, depending on the tunng and supporting parts. Needs custom tune, standalone, or dyno tune.

Full GT2871R
Requires ATP or custom exhaust manifold, custom downpipe, and custom intake. Approx 400-450chp, depending on the tunng and supporting parts. Needs custom tune, standalone, or dyno tune.

T3/T4
Requires ATP or aftermarket exhaust manifold depending on flange, custom downpipe, and custom intake. hp numbers vary as there are numerous different sizes, Trims, A/R's and such. Requires custom tune, standalone, or dyno tune. CTapp is also a good option for software.

CTAPP has a new software out where it gives you the ability to tweak and change- Maestro- check it out: http://www.eurodyne.ca/

just my .02....

viceprp
01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
I know this is a copy and paste but isnt the new GT2X water and oil cooled? We might want to update that one.

Puckstr
01-12-2010, 09:34 AM
From one Colorado Audi Newbie to another

Welcome

dcampana
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I know this is a copy and paste but isnt the new GT2X water and oil cooled? We might want to update that one.

Honestly I am not sure if the new GT2x is both. I thought it was only oil cooled still.

A4DRIVR
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I know you mentioned not wanting lag... but if your looking for STI whp, the GT30 series turbos are the shizzz. Check out my build thread in my sig for more info.

Kyle H
01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Th elim turbos will take forever to spool at 5k...

Coopa
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
New gt2x is advertised as water and oil cooled [up]

Avant Nate
01-12-2010, 10:45 AM
The new GT2X rev 2 is both oil and water cooled. I'm surprised that isn't a more popular option for a streetable upgrade, quick spool up like a K04 and sustained boost all the way up. From my research, software is an issue, which is a surprise. This seems like best of both worlds, good for about 280chp. Stock manifold as well. This is the upgrade i'm leaning toward most.

dcampana
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
on my elim I am hitting full boost at 3800... thats not bad, but of course I am at sea level. so I am not sure what that would equate at a mile high or so.. lol

vdubjetta02
01-12-2010, 11:58 AM
UPDATE : just got back from the dealer, i talked him down to $3,000 but the tranny seems very slushy... when the clutch is in, i can move the shifter around like its in the air... i am worried if i buy it, i will have to completley re-build the tranny.... i am going to talk with my mechanic after work to see how much $$$$ he thinks it would cost... but $3,000 for leather seats and bose sound system isn't to shabby

things i would have to fix :
- have to get a good size dent fixed on the trunk
- one taillight is cracked and broken
- center arm rest console is broken
- transmission re-build and clutch/flywheel

having a 365 Crank hp daily driver and then driving the little 170hp a4 was quite a change ha ha

A4DRIVR
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Dents suck... that's all I have to say about that.

Tails lights can be found used here in the classified for a good price

Center armrest depends on how broken. If you mean, the leather is breaking/peeling from the lid... they all do that. Mine is like that right now, and I'm looking for a suitable replacement. I imagine a auto upholstery shop could fix that.

The shifter works thru a linkage assembly. Odds are the bushings have worn out or a linkage mechanism is broken.

Seerlah
01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Don't know how to break it to you buddy. But that leather....................isn't really leather[cool]. Sure looks good, though. The 2.8 has real leather and the 1.8t has pleather.

Tail lights can be replaced for cheap. And surprisingly, you can get used transmissions for cheap also. Cheaper than rebuilding your old one (with mechanic labor fes).

Oh yeah, being how you probably do not know how the car was treated prior, I would do an immediate application of Auto-RX (http://www.auto-rx.com/). These cars have sludge issues and had a recall on them due to this. Many people have replaced motors, and that is why many fo them are floating around. After the Auto-RX treatment, be sure to use group IV full synthetic motor oil, quality filter (I use the larger OEM Mann filters), and change no longer than 5k intervals. You will get to know, maintenance is key with these vehicles.