PDA

View Full Version : 98.5 audi a4 insurance issues

jaustin
01-11-2010, 07:15 AM
98.5 was totaled on the 1st and AAA wants to give me 2962.00 for it. That seems very low to me. The car has 194,296 miles on it with a new rack, suspension, control arms, new winter tires, and odds and ends parts too. Timing belt was done under 2 years ago.

Anyone have any prices around michigan of what these should be going for?

Thoughts?

blackhat
01-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Regardless of new parts on the car that doesn't change how much they will give you for it I don't think. Its based on mileage and condition prior to any accidents.. and what the car came with for features such as stock.. a car with almost 200k miles, and a 98 w/ no 1 piece headlights stock, and 15" stock wheels I donno. Maybe $3-4k if you're lucky.

geeky
01-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Regardless of new parts on the car that doesn't change how much they will give you for it I don't think. Its based on mileage and condition prior to any accidents.. and what the car came with for features such as stock.. a car with almost 200k miles, and a 98 w/ no 1 piece headlights stock, and 15" stock wheels I donno. Maybe $3-4k if you're lucky.

Most insurance does adjust for money you put in. If you have receipts for the maintenance that you have done, send that into the insurance and they'll adjust their prices. That includes TB job, aftermarket installs, cost of installs, etc. They won't give you every single penny back, but they'll take that into consideration and increase the price.

When I totaled my C4 A6 a long time ago, the insurance first quoted me $3500 for it, until I sent in receipts for recent brakes, ignition switch, control arms, etc. and was able to get it readjusted to $4,700

osofast10
01-11-2010, 07:52 AM
i got 4k for my 96 when i totalled it a few years back.. i only had 100k on it but that seems kinda low. did you have a system system in it... clam everything aftermarket you had.. i did and it helped.

jaustin
01-11-2010, 07:59 AM
thanks. I did have the 1 pcs lights that I added.

blackhat
01-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Ah, sorry about that, I didn't realize they also take into consideration what you had done to the car as long as you had receipts. =X

newbies4
01-11-2010, 08:21 AM
sorry to hear. I'm starting to learn the ins and outs of the whole insurance thing. recently started a thread about extra coverage. My S4 has 10s of thousands of aftermarket and oem upgrades so i searched long and hard for a company that would give me extra coverage. i currently have an extra 4k but want 10k+. If the replacement parts are oem (and they belong in the car (ie not rs4 turbos in an s4) and u show proof u may have to haggle them but they will adjust for them. as far as aftermarket parts I know in ny with GMAC they wont give u squat. In order to find out info like what u are looking for i call up a random insurance company explain that u do not have a policy with them and throw them hypotheticals, they should help ya. Good Luck!!!

qttroking
01-11-2010, 08:30 AM
They're offering 3K for a pre-facelift with 200k, and you are complaining?! Take that shit and run.

jaustin
01-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Eh, I would if I didn't just do thousands in maintenance.

Avant Nate
01-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Are you going to try and buy it back after the total?

andyrew
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Eh, I would if I didn't just do thousands in maintenance.

Send in those receipts and refuse to sign anything.
My friend had a POS ford truck that he beat to HELL that he crashed, they were going to total it, but he had about 1200 in receipts that he sent them and they decided to fix it.. The idiot should have taken the money, he was trying to find a way to get rid of that truck for years (parents wouldnt let him sell it, it was in there name but he paid for it..).

doubleu8
01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
jaustin. I know you were looking at my avant, which is still for sale!
So let me know about that....
Also, I am an independent insurance agent in Michigan and may be able to give you some pointers if you would like ... Yes the maintenance performed recently should be figured in the amount they will give you. Also, they will do anything to lowball the first time around, so do your research on the value of the vehicle and provide documentation. You should be able to get another $1k if you provide a well documented and professional "argument"

flyromeo3
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
well if you have all your receipts I suggest submittting them to your insurance company.
When my accord was totalled ( old lady ran red light ) I had every single receipt for every item I purchased for the car.
I ended up gettin close to 9k for my totaled 02 accord 4dr. w/ 150k miles.
You just have to be aggressive and fight it out with them. If your not at fault they'll go after the other insurance company for reimbursement.

MrAudi
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
They're offering 3K for a pre-facelift with 200k, and you are complaining?! Take that shit and run.

THIS

I'm a consultant in the car business, and if you we're going to trade it in at one of my stores, I'd give $1K, and try to market it for $2995.

The car has more sentimental value to you than cash value to the general public.[:o]