PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start, chugged then died.

Tifun
01-09-2010, 10:34 AM
K, story first.

Last night I moved the car from in front of the apartment building over to my secluded spot like usual after unloading some stuff. This was prolly around 10pm. Car started and ran fine as usual.

This morning I go to get in my car turn it over, it starts, then chugs all crazy, so I shut it off.

Pop hood look around to see if maybe all the snow has gotten into something or whatever. I notice the smell of gas.

Start car again, chugs like it's running on 3 cylinders then dies within maybe 5-10 seconds.

Look around again, looking for obvious issues, but see nothing, can still smell gas, like a flooded carbed car. I check plugs, they are a little wet, clean them off, turn the car over while plugs out, put plugs back in, car wont start at all now, turns and turns and turns yet there seems to be no firing going on.

I'm thinking maybe the ICM???? I dunno. I have it out and inside right now. I'm going to let it warm up and then put it on the car and see if it will start. I have no clue as where to even begin with this. I've never had a car that just simply wouldn't start after it ran perfect the night before with no signs of running issues present.

Any ideas??????????????

I read the ohms on the ICM.

1-2 = 4.87k
1-3 = 2.44k
1-4 = 4.88k
1-5 = 4.88k

Anyone willing to ohm out there ICM real fast to see what they are reading? I get no readings from the cylinder side at all, just the lead plug. I'm assuming that my 1-3 should be in the 4.88 range, which could mean it has failed internally....so yeah anyone?

car is a 99.5 1.8tqm (AEB)

dangerous_dave
01-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Change your coolant temp sensor. It's faultyaking the car think it's 20 below zero and it's dumping a ton of fuel to make it start. You may want to change the plugs too. Check your ecu for cts codes. If there are none there, check your cluster for cts codes. Change the cts and if that doesn't fix it we will continue diagnosis.

Another thing you should do is pull fuse 28 (fuel pump) and see if the car will start. If the car is flooded the fuel pump is making it worse. It should eventually start with the fuel pump fuse out and then die fast depending on how flooded it is.

lucidor
01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
check your MAF

dangerous_dave
01-09-2010, 04:08 PM
You could do that but a bad maf doesn't flood a car.

Tifun
01-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I actually swapped the sensor. My car has the 2 port style, so I've been keeping a new unused one in there. Still same thing. I'm starting to lean towards crank position sensor. I had a nice long talk with 99.5blacka4 about it. He's had some experience with a very very similar issue.