PDA

View Full Version : winter driving; D, 4, 3, 2?

italianaudi318
01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Hello, I have a 99 a4 1.8T quattro and I was wondering for bad winter driving in this Pittsburgh area, what gear should I be in for different speeds and conditions?
Another quick question, what is the worst thing that could happen to my transmission if I go into the slapstick?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Coopa
01-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Common sense, the lower rpm you're at the less you're sliding around you'll be doing. Just for around town I'm commonly in 3rd at 25-30 mph.

calvin1.8t
01-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Hello, I have a 99 a4 1.8T quattro and I was wondering for bad winter driving in this Pittsburgh area, what gear should I be in for different speeds and conditions?
Another quick question, what is the worst thing that could happen to my transmission if I go into the slapstick?

if your talking about the tiptronic, nothing. its meant to do that and always drive in a high gear for snow.

marknad113
01-09-2010, 03:57 PM
showing some snow love from PGH! i love quattro

UGwagen
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Depending on the speed of the car, stay in the lowest gear number possible, so you can utilize engine braking as much as possible to slow down.

Also... to maximize traction for quattro, steering & brakes, get some winter tires.

italianaudi318
01-10-2010, 08:36 AM
showing some snow love from PGH! i love quattro
i hear ya dude, i was at my friends house last night and they live back in the wood and they were tellin everyone to go real slow coming back, i took the driveway like it was nothing :)

marknad113
01-10-2010, 08:58 AM
haha thats awsome man, my tires are damn near bald (well i got another month or so) but i took the audi up north by ediboro and just ripped it up no problem. what part of pgh u from?

italianaudi318
01-10-2010, 09:36 AM
haha thats awsome man, my tires are damn near bald (well i got another month or so) but i took the audi up north by ediboro and just ripped it up no problem. what part of pgh u from?
nice, im from Beaver, Beaver County, you?

Euromike
01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
word to pittsburgh people. im out in cranberry.
how about this 1-2 ft of snow we got in the last few days?!

marknad113
01-10-2010, 11:40 AM
im loving the snow! (except for the shoveling part). i got my audi last march (2008) and last winter it barely snowed, but this winter i can actually put quattro to the test. i am from brookline by the way. its in the city right by mt washington.

italianaudi318
01-10-2010, 11:53 AM
ya i got my audi in the summer and i watched some videos on youtube of quattro people doing doughnuts and i was like, wow, i cant wait to do that!!! but quattro gets ridiculous traction so its still fun though hahah

italianaudi318
01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
word to pittsburgh people. im out in cranberry.
how about this 1-2 ft of snow we got in the last few days?!
i know man!!! i hope it snows more! except for some reason Beaver never gets as much snow as you other people :(

walky_talky20
01-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm from the Erie area and we got hammered with snow up here. Yard was almost waist deep for a few days.

Anybody ever been to Beaver Run Motorsports Complex in Wampum, PA? They have "Snowcross" on most saturday's. $40 to drive, free to watch or ride. It's pretty awesome. My brother, a friend, and I went the day after new years. We've all got B5's, 2 A4's and 1 S4. There is always tons of subaru's there and we were the only Audi's. Quattro for the win.

http://www.beaverun.com/

And for winter driving, I like to use tiptronic. That way I can shift early for better traction, and it gives me control of the engine braking if I need it. You've got to be careful though. To much engine braking and not enough traction will lock up the wheels too. You gotta love AWD torque-sensing engine braking though.

italianaudi318
01-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm from the Erie area and we got hammered with snow up here. Yard was almost waist deep for a few days.

Anybody ever been to Beaver Run Motorsports Complex in Wampum, PA? They have "Snowcross" on most saturday's. $40 to drive, free to watch or ride. It's pretty awesome. My brother, a friend, and I went the day after new years. We've all got B5's, 2 A4's and 1 S4. There is always tons of subaru's there and we were the only Audi's. Quattro for the win.

http://www.beaverun.com/

And for winter driving, I like to use tiptronic. That way I can shift early for better traction, and it gives me control of the engine braking if I need it. You've got to be careful though. To much engine braking and not enough traction will lock up the wheels too. You gotta love AWD torque-sensing engine braking though.
thats so much snow!!<333 i've never been to beaverun but thats sounds awesome. i want to use the triptronic badly but for some reason i imagine something bad happening to the transmission as soon as i switch it over :(

walky_talky20
01-10-2010, 03:42 PM
thats so much snow!!<333 i've never been to beaverun but thats sounds awesome. i want to use the triptronic badly but for some reason i imagine something bad happening to the transmission as soon as i switch it over :(

I wouldn't worry about using tiptronic. In fact I believe it is actually easier on the transmission because in tiptronic the torque converter is locked most of the time. The tiptronic mode was designed for use when you want to drive it hard. In fact I've heard of a few people who drive *exclusively* in tip mode. These trannies are pretty good. If you're on stock power I don't think you have anything to worry about.

In my opinion its slamming the gas pedal in "D" that scares me the most. The tranny tries to downshift HARD at wide open throttle. In tip mode you choose the gear, then hit the gas. No drama. Just don't hit the "kick-down" switch at the bottom of the gas pedal. That's a little hard on things, I would think.

italianaudi318
01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
well as long as my nightmare of me going into triptronic and my tranny falls out of my car i guesse i will try it hahaha. what is the kick-down switch you said??

walky_talky20
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
You should really try out the tip mode. Like I said, it keeps the converter locked so it feels a lot more "sporty". The lockup makes it feel more like a manual tranny (which it was designed to do), and gets rid off some of the "rubber band", "slushbox" automatic feel.

There is a switch of sorts at the bottom of the gas pedal. You can feel it actuate. Try it out with the engine off - push the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and then a bit more. You will feel it depress an extra half inch or so. That is the kick-down switch.

The purpose is mostly for when you leave the car in tiptronic and forget about it. Then you get into a hairy situation and slam the gas, but the car won't accelerate because you've manually selected a high gear. Because you are in Tiptronic the car won't automatically downshift like normal. In this stressful situation it is unlikely you would have time to remember you are in tiptronic, and then have the presence of mind to actually down shift once or twice. But wait....kick-down switch to the rescue! (sometimes literally!). Push the pedal to the floor, hit that switch and in most situations it will SLAM into 2nd gear very abruptly to get you out of whatever you've got yourself into. It is quite exciting when it happens by accident, like you're driving a rocket ship...almost. It takes a bit of force to depress the switch, so as long as you know it is there you won't usually hit it by accident. I try to avoid it as I think it works the tranny pretty hard.

It is also used for a few other things. One that I know is to turn off the A/C compressor. This frees up a few more horsepower. So if you are going uphill in second gear as fast as possible and the pedal is to the floor - if you hit the switch it will cut off some accessories like the A/C to give you some extra grunt. It might cut off other things like the blower motor or rear defroster too, but I can't be sure.

italianaudi318
01-10-2010, 06:10 PM
hahah oh okay, i think i may have felt that extra half inch going up a hill once. Your exactly right, sometimes my A/C blowers or heater blowers will go down and then come back up.
So while driving in tiptronic all i really have to be conscious of is the RPM's and maybe a little bit of the sound of the engine and then just click the gear shifter up or down or the buttons on my steering wheel, right?
Now that you describe tip a little more it does seem like it will definately come into help when driving slippery roads, even though i think quattro makes any winter road feel like a summer road :)

walky_talky20
01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, it isn't hard. Same thing as normal, just that YOU control the upshifts. As you slow down it will downshift for you, so you don't have to worry about starting off from a stop sign in 4th gear or anything. For engine braking you can choose to downshift earlier if you like. The only time it gets you is when someone pull out in front of you. You slow down a bit then hit the gas - completely forgetting you are in tip. You hit the gas and the car just bogs out because you are still in 5th and you haven't slowed down quite enough for it downshift for you yet. You go "what the...." then you remember, hit the "-" button and carry on.

Just play with it. It is quite fun. Actually my steering wheel "+" buttons don't work so that saps a bit of fun, but yeah.

italianaudi318
01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
haha alright cool man, thank you for all your help and when I decide to try this tip out i will let you know how it goes!!
thanks again

marknad113
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
i have never been out to beaver run, had a buddy that used to race an older gti there. i'd love to check it out sometime!

ADNpro
01-11-2010, 01:50 PM

I bought my car from a guy in Erie. I live about 40 minutes away in New York. We got hammered with snow here too.

italianaudi318
01-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, it isn't hard. Same thing as normal, just that YOU control the upshifts. As you slow down it will downshift for you, so you don't have to worry about starting off from a stop sign in 4th gear or anything. For engine braking you can choose to downshift earlier if you like. The only time it gets you is when someone pull out in front of you. You slow down a bit then hit the gas - completely forgetting you are in tip. You hit the gas and the car just bogs out because you are still in 5th and you haven't slowed down quite enough for it downshift for you yet. You go "what the...." then you remember, hit the "-" button and carry on.

Just play with it. It is quite fun. Actually my steering wheel "+" buttons don't work so that saps a bit of fun, but yeah.

i used the tiptronic today!! it was indeed pretty great and it definately gave the "sporty" feeling. but i was wondering, should you have to be at a stand still to go in and out of tip mode? or is it safe to go out of tip mode at some sort of speed?

thanks~

Naudilos
01-14-2010, 04:17 PM
You can go in and out of tip mode at any speed at any time. The car's TCU programming will automatically put you in the correct gear whether you are in auto or tip mode. There is nothing to worry about you can't down shift or up shift out of safe operating range, the TCU will not allow it. So don't worry about that, just enjoy the feeling of being able to have more control over shifting in tip mode.

djwimbo
01-14-2010, 05:27 PM
It's an Auto ... leave it in "D".

If you want to select gears, buy a manual.

italianaudi318
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
You can go in and out of tip mode at any speed at any time. The car's TCU programming will automatically put you in the correct gear whether you are in auto or tip mode. There is nothing to worry about you can't down shift or up shift out of safe operating range, the TCU will not allow it. So don't worry about that, just enjoy the feeling of being able to have more control over shifting in tip mode.

oh okay thats cool, thanks man