PDA

View Full Version : New Audi Owner : Wierd Noise

rraj2k9
01-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I have been hearing noises in the rear. Sounds like a rattle and sometimes sounds similar to when the exhaust is been modified, like a when a chopper (Bike) is running.

This only happens when the car is in idle or when I am reversing. This does not occur all the time but very random.

I have gone through all the posts, but have not found anything mildly related to this problem.

Any of you guys have any ideas what this could be ? Is this some thing I need to be worried about ?

I drive a 99 A4 1.8T Q

Thanks

ben tumbling
01-09-2010, 08:58 AM
fuel filter

rraj2k9
01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I just recently replaced the fuel filter, a bigger filter as specified by my mechanic.

Also to add, once the car has been running for a bit, these random noises go away. Please keep in mind that it is 15 - 20 below in Toronto right now. So I am assuming it has some thing to do with the temperature.

walky_talky20
01-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Maybe an exhaust rattle? Grab a hold of your exhaust pipe (when the car is cold) and shake it around a bit. This might uncover the source of your rattle.

When you say "like a chopper bike", do you mean to say that the exhaust note gets louder? If so, I'd say perhaps an exhaust leak.

codymack43
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Is it straight piped?

rraj2k9
01-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Maybe an exhaust rattle? Grab a hold of your exhaust pipe (when the car is cold) and shake it around a bit. This might uncover the source of your rattle.

When you say "like a chopper bike", do you mean to say that the exhaust note gets louder? If so, I'd say perhaps an exhaust leak.

The Exhaust is bolted tight, and the noise does not occur once I start driving the car, and it goes away completely after a bit, I am assuming once its warmed up.

When I say like a Chopper, the squealing noise I hear sounds like a chopper when it starts and run, if you can hear how a chopper sounds when it is running, the noise is similar, hard to explain with words, [:d], but it does not get louder, but maintains a steady note.

If there is an Exhaust leak, would I not hear the noise all the time ?

rraj2k9
01-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Is it straight piped?

Not sure what you mean by Straight Pipe, forgive the newbie'ishness.