PDA

View Full Version : Quick FPR question for those running k04 pc16

AforOuttie
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Alright, so for those that have helped me with my k04 troubles, everything seems to be in working order now. I've done all the necessary tests and made any necessary changes. From regapping the plugs to .032 to doing a boost leak test and finding out that the bov/dv was open quite a bit, to changing out the n75 valve to an n75 race. I'm now boosting around 1.4+bar. Which feels nice. :0)

You guys did recommend changing my 3bar FPR to an adjustable set at 2.7bar. I put in the gauge, but haven't yet replaced the FPR with the adjustable one.

If everything feels pretty good right now, what is that extra drop in psi going to do for me?

And, for those who have theirs set at 2.7bar, what does your gauge read when idling...with the vacuum hose attached?

-Charlie

Seerlah
01-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Dialing the fuel pressure down will simply make you not run rich (the p-16 file tends to make peopole run rich). This results in longer lasting spark plugs and 02 sensors. If you have the stock catalyctic converter, running rich will also assist in making it clog. To check for ideal fuel presure, you need to log your A/F ratio (but 2.7-8 psi on an afpr is what has been proven to cure the running rich issue with that file). I am no expert, so hopefully another can chimme in and tell you how to go about that.

AforOuttie
01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Dialing the fuel pressure down will simply make you not run rich (the p-16 file tends to make peopole run rich). This results in longer lasting spark plugs and 02 sensors. If you have the stock catalyctic converter, running rich will also assist in making it clog. To check for ideal fuel presure, you need to log your A/F ratio (but 2.7-8 psi on an afpr is what has been proven to cure the running rich issue with that file). I am no expert, so hopefully another can chimme in and tell you how to go about that.

Ahh, gotcha, will running rich make you idle rough? Because that's really the only issue with the car, other than that it drives very nice. The gauge and adjustable fpr that I bought, was from ECS Tuning. I thought it was just a fuel pressure gauge, not an a/f pressure gauge. Anyway, I left the 3bar in for the time being and when I started the car, at idle, the pressure on the gauge reads ~39psi (3bar = 43.5psi). I expect that's a little low due to the vacuum hose still attached. *the install label said not taking it off can result in higher actual pressure than the readings state*

Instead of pulling the hose off, could I just put in the adjustable and set it so that the pressure on the gauge reads ~4.4 psi lower, so ~34.6psi on the gauge while idling.

Here is how I came up with that number,

3bar = 43.5 psi and 2.7bar = 39.1psi

=> 43.5psi-39.1psi = 4.4 psi.

if gauge reads 39psi with 3bar FPR while idling, then it should read ~34.6psi when adjusted to 2.7 while idling. yea?

PS, this portion of work to be done on my car is all very new to me, so bear with me if I'm asking newby questions.

And thanks for the help. :0)))