PDA

View Full Version : Restore Carbon Fiber?

niq212
01-08-2010, 08:56 AM
My buddy has a 97 A4 and it came with a carbon fiber hood, he decided to wax it and now it looks like shit! is there anyway to bring it back to its original shine? it has an oxidized look to it and it has been a couple years since he did it

Sharkfin
01-08-2010, 09:03 AM
sand and re-clearcoat it

A4Rob
01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
sand and re-clearcoat it

If the clear coat is as bad as it sounds... this is your only option. Be careful not to sand too deep or you will get into the weave.

niq212
01-08-2010, 10:32 AM
ok thanks guys

dwi_gti
01-08-2010, 11:14 AM
good info, my CF hood's clearcoar has that yellow tint to it after years in the sun. can you recomend any clearcoats that work well with CF and are clear. grit sand paper?

geeky
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I would personally leave that to a professional. The main reasoning being, for bare metal etc, you can just you a palm sander etc, but for a CF hood, like Rob stated, if you get into the weave, you will most likely pull some weaves and have a ruined CF hood.

99blueb5
01-08-2010, 12:34 PM
you could try to get some polishing compund and a da polisher, but if you already see yellow the clearcoat's time is up

VMRWheels
01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
you might be able to get away with color sanding and polishing. If you don't burn through the clear, you can do some wetsanding 1500-2000 to that the surface appears dull. Then go over it with a good polish.

The biggest concern would be burning the clear, with such a high grit, I can't really see you going past the resin into the weave unless you're using a crazy power sander and keeping it in the same spot for a while. If you're not comfortable doing stuff like this though, you can just take it to a reputable body shop and get it recleared.

jrock
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Wet sand lightly with atleast 600+ grit and then get it clear coated again. But ya you should probably get a shop to do it.

goonies
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
if the clear coat is damaged there is probably nothing you can do aside from reclearing it, however i have had a lot of success with this product. It's not too expensive and totally worth a try.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/slickshoe/3mboatwax.jpg

matt@oCarbon
01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
good info, my CF hood's clearcoar has that yellow tint to it after years in the sun. can you recomend any clearcoats that work well with CF and are clear. grit sand paper?

Chances are this is not the clearcoat, but the resin itself. All carbon fiber epoxies and resin yellow after time. Exposure to heat and UV rays cause the discoloration. High end epoxies/resins have UV inhibitors slow down the yellowing, but eventually it happens to them too. I would bet that re-clearcoating or sanding/polishing will not fix your problem.

goonies
01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Chances are this is not the clearcoat, but the resin itself. All carbon fiber epoxies and resin yellow after time. Exposure to heat and UV rays cause the discoloration. High end epoxies/resins have UV inhibitors slow down the yellowing, but eventually it happens to them too. I would bet that re-clearcoating or sanding/polishing will not fix your problem.

Cheap hood manufacturers use marine resins instead of the higher quality stuff because it's cheaper. Trust me when i say the boat wax is definitely worth a shot. I've seen a hood that was flaking look almost brand new after waxing and buffing. It did look bad after 3-4 months but again the wax is $16 and your time is free. This was also a hood that everyone who saw it considered trash and a waste of time. Boats built with boat resin last forever even if they don't always look like show cars.

matt@oCarbon
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Boats built with boat resin last forever even if they don't always look like show cars.

That's because the color of the resin has no impact on the performance of the part.

While I can't speak for the marine wax, I don't want someone to pay for a complete respray of their hood because the resin itself is the issue and not the clearcoat. Most of the yellow hoods I've seen are because of cheap materials, a lot of them aren't even clearcoated.

goonies
01-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't want someone to pay for a complete respray of their hood because the resin itself is the issue and not the clearcoat.

um...i think we're saying the same thing?